“A little gem” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iris

Iris
47a Thistle Street, Edinburgh EH2 1DY, Scotland (New Town)
0131 220 2111
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Iris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #164 of 1,790 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: Tucked away on Thistle Street, Iris has been a welcome addition to the Edinburgh restaurant scene. This chic little bistro - with its designer wallpaper, banquette seating and rough stone walls – has an intimate, cosmopolitan vibe, and is popular with a discreet and sophisticated creative crowd. The modern European menu is guaranteed to impress, we love the roast duck breast with fresh raspberries and Drambuie; chicken supreme stuffed with langoustines served with a garlic and herb buerre blanc; and the roasted quail with spicy potatoes served with an orange and rocket salad. Ideal for stylish working lunches, and informal evening meals, Iris also has an extensive wine list with up to 17 bottles for under £20.
Scotland
“A little gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

We visited for lunch on Saturday. The fixed price lunch menu is excellent - a good choice and excellent value. The service was good, despite there only being two on duty and the place was busy. The lady told me they served the fixed price lunch menu all day until 6.30pm which is really good. To sum it up - good atmosphere, good food and attentive service. We will definitely be returning - a good find.

• Visited November 2013

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“A nice restaurant spoilt by bad service and a dismissive attitude to customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Last Friday I took my family to a restaurant I have enjoyed twice before. I am disappointed to say our evening was ruined by bad service and a dismissive attitude to customers.

All went well till we ordered our desserts (Chocolate beetroot cake and two frangipanes from the special menu (which the waitress forgot to bring, but we remembered from earlier), with two amarettos to go with them.

After a pause only one dessert arrived, followed about five minutes later by two amarettos loaded with unwanted ice which we had to fish out. Another ten mimutes passed before we could catch anyone's eye to ask for the other two desserts, by which time my daughter, doing her best to slowly and politely nibble at hers, had almost finished. A computer error was blamed. We were asked if we still wanted ours and told they would put a rush on them.

Fifteen minutes later no desserts, and no staff attention whatsoever. Conversation had died at our table and a pleasant evening eveporated.We asked for our coats.

The amarettos were removed from our bill.

I did not think this was an adequate response, given the impact on our evening and asked to speak to the owner. He was dismissive of our complaint, took the view that we should pay for what we had eaten and refused to take even my daughters dessert of the menu.

Visited October 2013
edinburgh
“amazing service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Came here for a friends birthday lunch and every one of us mentioned the excellent food we had. We all have very different tastes but all found something to suit. I had the mussels in lovely fragrant sauce and the pork belly for my main which was delicious. The wine was reasonable priced too but the best part were the lovely staff there. Im sure we must have been a bit annoying too much gossip ing and not enough looking at the menu but the staff were lovely and very patient. Thank you . You all made it a lovely afternoon.

• Visited October 2013
Bethesda, Maryland
“Great company, food and atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Back home visiting my sister with her two handsome sons for company. This restaurant had been recommended by several people and it lived up to expectations. We were on the more casual smaller side, by the wee bar and I think I preferrred that to the "posher side".
Service was friendly and knowledgeable and everyone enjoyed their food - to the extend that some sharing was demanded! The menu is not large but has plenty of great options. Wine prices are reasonable.

The bar next door is busy but an interesting and fun meeting place (for the non teenage crowd!)

• Visited October 2013
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Lovely little place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

5 of us went here for lunch on a Saturday and although none of us had been before we all agreed we would go back. The service was extremely friendly and efficient and there was no problem choosing items from different menus. The choice was really good and we all struggled to decide on our main courses. In the end everyone was very happy with the food. I'm not a fish eater but even I could tell that the seafood was good quality. It has a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere and is really good value for money. I must also point out that even though our original choice of wine wasn't available the alternative was really nice and not out of the way expensive. Can't wait to go back.

• Visited September 2013