“Great food, great service, great restaurant!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kismot

Kismot
29 St. Leonards Street, Edinburgh EH8 9QN, Scotland (Southside & Holyrood)
0131 667 0123
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #60 of 1,790 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Doing business, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Description: Wee Family run Indian and Bangladeshi restaurant.Mum and Dad cooking with the kids at the front of house.Bring your own bottle (no corkage charge, wine and beer only)Food cooked and served with alot of love and affection.Try our mums homestyle cooking chicken and lamb on the bone (what we have for dinner at home !) Dont forget the chocolate nan bread and other dishe's only available at our place my friends ! ! ! :)Open every day 4.30pm to 11.30pm
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great food, great service, great restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Got the chicken tikka naga was very, very hot, but tasty, possibly the best curry I've tasted. My partner got the North Indian garlic chilli chicken and thoroughly enjoyed it. Along with fried rice and a garlic chilli nan this was the best meal we've had. The service was excellent and we were made to feel welcome from start to finish. We will be going here on our next visit to Edinburgh and would recommend it to anyone visiting the city.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
akbar a, The not so skinny brother! :) at Kismot, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hello there!

I remember you both, you sat opposite the bar on Thursday night, you came in early on!, you were both so nice and friendly a real pleasure to have round and a right good chat :)

Thank you so much for your kind review!

I was thinking you had such hot curry's when you ordered them but you munched through them nae bother, really happy to hear you enjoyed my mum and dads cooking so much, means alot that you thought it was the best you had going out, that like the service, is from the heart, with alot of love and affection.

Look forward to seeing you both next time your in town.

Akbar
PS hope you found the vodka bar you were looking for, after the meal :)

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“AMAZING!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is without a doubt the best Indian restaurant I've ever been to! We loved everything about it.

It's a lovely welcoming atmosphere, the service was brilliant - it was our first time there and we were made to feel like regulars. It's a great menu - loved that it was sectioned into mild medium and hot curries. I had the chicken bhuna which was great, the meat was very good quality, sauce was tasty and the herbs were so fresh.

It has a genuine family run feel to the place and we liked how he said if you've not ordered enough I'll ask Mum to make you some more and how his brother likes experimenting in the kitchen.

You HAVE to try the chocolate naan bread, we ordered one between us just to try and next time I definitely won't be sharing!

I'll be back again and again to work my way through the menu and to munch on chocolate naan bread :)

• Visited August 2013
Hello there!

Thank you so much for such a wonderfull review!

So happy to hear you found so many things to love about our wee family restaurant, service is really a simple idea, treat people the way we would like to be treated if we went out for dinner , with a wee bit of love and affection, so happy to hear you felt like regulars.

Yes we have sectioned off the menu and we think it makes things so much easier, glad you approve of it.

Its so nice how you felt the family vibe as we work so hard together, with our portions sizes such a nice size we are happy to get you more if need be as we dont like to see food or money being wasted.

A the Chocolate Nan my wee brothers Idea, I cant believe you shared it as I could never share mines, you are so strong :)

Look forward to seeing you next time your in.

Thank you again for your kind review.

Österreich
“Excellent Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We came to Kismot without a reservation. The restaurant was fully booked but we were lucky one's and some people just left the restaurant. The (funny) owner as well as the waiters were very kind, friendly and helpful.

Our meal was fabulous. We never ate such wonderful Indian food anywhere else. Also the Mango Lassi was very tasty and smooth.

If you find time during a stay in Edinburgh - visit Kismot. And don't forget to book in advance. ;)

London
“Definitely not the best in Edinburgh!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

This restaurant is fine but not great. The curry is on the expensive side for an indian and I can't help but feel it's all a bit gimmicky - e.g. the irn bruna. The service was pretty slow too and the curry certainly didn't redeem it. I was with a group of 5 and we all had different curries, none of which were worth returning for.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Hello there!

Thank you for your review.

Its always good to get feedback and we will always try our best to see how we can improve, after reading your review, I hope you can take our response as positive as we take your review.

We understand that we wont please everyone in the world but we will try our best :)

One of the first thing you said was our curry's was expensive, I can understand that as you are from London looking at your profile, and you can pick up curry's for £2 there from my experience, but you failed to mention we are BYOB so you would have spent about £14 a head sitting in and for Edinburgh thats great value for money in a Restaurant.

We have great fun with trying diffrent flavours like Irn Bruna and Chocolate curry as well as Haggis curry's but again you failed to mention we have the most authentic curry in the UK mums deshi khani which is real home made curry cooked on the bone! :)

About the service, We cant believe how you failed to mention on your review, that on the windows and every single menu that your group would have got,as well as the posters in the toilets it mentions that we are all observing the Holy month of Ramadan and as we are not eating or drinking(even water) that service will be slower then usual, and to please bear with us and we thank you for your patience, other reviewers have mentioned this but you fail to?

I hope other reviewers can see both sides and hope this does not come across defensive but a nice way of putting our side over :)

Oh welll have a nice holiday and safe trip back to London.

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Chocolate naan bread”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

I dined at this restaurant with 3 others. It was stunning. the service was excellent and the best food I have had for a long time. The only problem was that we got a chocolate naan between 4 to try. We really needed 1 each as it was to good to share.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
akbar a, The not so skinny brother! :) at Kismot, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Hello there!

Great to hear you loved my wee brothers invention and recipe of chocolate naan bread!, your right 1 each would have been a good shout as I know I can easily have 1 to myself !

Happy also to hear that you enjoyed my mum and dads cooking so much as well as our passion for service.

Hope to see you all again

All the best