“Introducing a friend to the experience” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mongolian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Armadale, United Kingdom
“Introducing a friend to the experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Earlier this week myself a friend commented that she'd never been to Kublai Khan's despite only living a few minutes away from the Edinburgh restaurant. I've been to the Glasgow restaurant a few times so I felt we should remedy the situation.

I love the concept. You take a bowl and put in the ingredients that you want. You select the rice/noodles, the vegetables, the spices, the sauces and the meats. Once you have what you want you take it to the chef who will cook it for you. If you want more or to try something different, just repeat the process until satisfied. The meats on offer are quite exotic so be prepared to try something new. (I had Kangaroo, a firm favourite of mine, and Camel, for the first time)

We arrived without booking mid-week (so it was quieter) that I was used to. The Edinburgh restaurant feels smaller and cosier than its Glasgow counterpart and it being January had proper fires in the fireplaces keeping the temperature nice and warm.

The staff were helpful, although a little quiet. I had to repeat some of what was said to my friend. The food was excellent and they were very considerate to my other half who has some food allergies, so his meal was cooked separately. Normally it is all cooked on a large griddle so there is the possibility of some cross-contamination.

Overall, I think I actually preferred the Edinburgh Restaurant to the Glasgow one. It seems smaller and more relaxed. Although that could be because when visiting the Glasgow restaurant it was on the more lively Friday and Saturday nights.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hi there!
Your quite right that is a situation that needed to be fixed, We hope your friend wasn’t disappointed! We do have a wide variety of meats and we encourage all our customers to try all the exotic ones rather than just the “normal” chicken!
We always aim to have the restaurant nice and heated up for our guests; it is a very large building once inside so this isn’t always an easy task! When serving at tables it can be a little loud and as there is so much to explain about the way the menu works this can sometimes impact the volume of the waitresses voice. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the food and we are always happy to accommodate for any food allergies or general concerns surrounding the griddle, generally the grill is so hot that the sauces cook straight away into the meat and the rice but with allergies it’s better to be safe!
We hope to see you return to Khublai Khans again for another enjoyable evening!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“very impressed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I loved this place!!
~Service good and friendly staff.
We had a 3 course both starters were good, The idea of the bbq is grreat and is good to see your food cooked in front of you.

The choices of meats and sauces and condiments is large so plenty of choice for everyone.
We tried the more unusual neats and enjoyed what we ate.

I had a honeycomb icecream whivh was divine.

will Definitely be back!!!!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Khublai K, Owner at Khublai Khans, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hi there, thank you for your review of your experience at Khublai Khans Edinburgh. It is a very different style of dining but we think it makes it even more enjoyable! Experimenting with recipes and meats is a great part of dining at our restaurant. All out deserts are homemade which makes them even more delicious!
We look forward to your return!
Prestonpans, United Kingdom
“Best restaurant we've been to.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We visited this restaurant in October and have spoken about it ever since. My husband and I visited again tonight (Sunday) and I am so glad that KK was as good the 2nd time around. Having never eaten in a Mongolian restaurant before I was very wary about trying food 'out of my comfort zone' . I've now been twice and I've eaten kangaroo, zebra, wild boar, ostrich (my favourite) and venison. There are many more meats and fish to chose from. The staff all work so very hard and the food is always cooked to a high standard. The mars bar cheesecake is an absolute MUST......... It has been 2 of the best dining experiences I've ever had and can say with certainty that We will be back... With the troops.... Thanks again.

Khublai K, Owner at Khublai Khans, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thanks for your wonderful review! Trying something new for the first time can be daunting but Khublai Khans can always give you something new to try, which is one of the great things about the restaurant! The staff here at Khublai Khans always aims to have consistently good customer service while working hard in the process! The desserts here are homemade which we think makes taste even more delicious and the mars bar cheesecake is definitely an example of this. We hope to see you back again and enjoy your next visit as much as your previous visits!
All the best!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“what a great evening with friends!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My friends booked the restaurant kublai khan in edinburgh for my birthday and it was a total surprise! As I got in, there was a mongolian guy, well I think he was,playing this old wooden instrument that looked like a small violin by the fireplace and I felt like I was in another country, seriously! It took me a bit of time to understand how it worked but the staff were really helpful and me and my friends just started to mix around all the meat,spices,herbs.... It wasn't very busy so we got our concoctions pretty quickly and we loved trying each others' foods. Honestly, it was so much fun. It's basically like buffet, we just kept on going back and forth and we tried so many different recipes and we all had a brilliant time. When we finished eating, we went to the bar area and listened the mongolian guy playing the violin or whatever it was. I have to say that I had a great time, and I will go back again and again. Thanks guys at the Kublai Khan!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Khublai K, Owner at Khublai Khans, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your birthday evening with us! The old wooden instrument you mention is a “horse head fiddle” and it was played by our very own Mongolian waiter! It can be a little confusing to begin with as it such a unique dining experience but we can guarantee you will be an expert in combining sauces and spices by the time you leave!! The way the restaurant works makes it an excellent place for parties with friends and work colleagues, no better conversation starter than “have you tried the baby octopus yet?!!” It’s always brilliant to hear when people enjoy their experience with us and we hope to see you back again to hopefully enjoy another fun filled evening!
Looking forward to seeing you again!
Maciej
“Unique concept, great food and friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I went there with my boyfriend and we really enjoyed the whole experience. Where else do you get to make your own recipe and try different wild food? It was quite a busy night but we didn't have to wait very long and the staff were really nice and friendly. Also you can get to eat as much as you like so we tried many different spices and ingredients and it was such a brilliant experience because we' ve never been to such a place and it was the first time we tried wild meet. The manager was also around to make sure that everything was running smoothly so we simply loved it and we'd definitely recommend this place even if it's slightly out of the centre.

Khublai K, Owner at Khublai Khans, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hi, thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us at Khublai Khans. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your evening, it certainly is a unique evening and it’s always good to go home and say dined on Kangaroo, Zebra and Camel! Hopefully you found a new favourite. We hope to see you again to repeat your wonderful experience with us.
Thanks!