“Superb” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #38 of 1,790 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European
Good for: Doing business, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Relocated from Castle Douglas to Leith (lucky for us), The Plumed Horse is the brainchild of superstar Chef/Proprietor Tony Borthwick who earned the restaurant a Michelin Star in 2001. Although the move to Leith has meant giving up the star it can’t possibly be too long before the Plumed Horse is decorated again. Stylishly simple, the restaurant is all white walls, white linen and light and airy space, the ideal backdrop to an evening of gastronomic delights. The imaginative menu has lost nothing in its relocation, still boasting impressively modern cuisine with a good classical twist and presentation which almost stops you digging in with that fork. The Plumed Horse’s star has certainly not fallen
UK
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

The restaurant is situated in Leith in a rather lacklustre area but do not be fooled by the exterior. The restaurant is beautiful inside with spacious round tables giving diners lots of room to enjoy their meal. The seats are soft leather so you know you are in for a comfortable evening. I went for the tasting menu with wines to match - fantastic. The service is excellent but unobtrusive. The tasting menu is up there with the best. Quirky, unusual and simply delicious. I can honestly say that this is one of the best tasting menus I have had. Not too many courses as well just enough to make you feel full not uncomfortable. The wines were all excellent matches. I would highly recommend this restaurant and can't wait to return. The chef is superb!

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
IanMBruce, General Manager at The Plumed Horse, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Maggy S,
What a review!
Can't really say fairer than that.
Leith is an "interesting" place to use a word from a previous review. We live here too. (Not in the restaurant!) and love it.
Great that you enjoyed us so.

Bristol, United Kingdom
“One of the best restaurants ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014 via mobile

This trip was a birthday treat from my partner - he couldn't of chosen better.
I had a fennel velouté with chicken dumpling and quails egg for starter and sole with risotto & samphire, all fantastic.
The service was excellent the wine suggestions perfect.
Value for money was excellent - I couldn't recommend this place highly enough.
Thanks guys for a fantastic birthday lunch.

Visited July 2014
Well everyone? Did you see that?
"One of the Best Restaurants Ever!"
Did you see it?
Really pleased you enjoyed us.
Many happy returns as they say.
Scotland
“Best restaurant in Scotland”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Love the food and service and regularly eat here. Special favourite is the 8 course taster menu. Lost nothing with the Michelin star.

Brymcd,
Great to read. Many thanks. Short and to the perfect point.
Perth and Kinross, United Kingdom
“Extremely memorable evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I work hard and enjoy spending our money on the thing we love most; fine dining. We booked the Plumed Horse rather on a whim, and it is one of the best chances we have taken.

We were very warmly greeted and promptly served. The menu was explained thoroughly to us and the staff seemed knowledgable about the food and wine.

We opted out of the tasting menu as the a la carte was too tempting. All courses were stunningly presented and the flavours matched just perfectly. We caught the manager Iain's eye, and he had a lovely informal chat with us, exactly as one should with his guests.

I'm sad that the Michelin star has been lost from here as I feel it is more than worthy of such an accolade. Who knows what the future will hold, other than our imminent return!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hello Jessieh89,
I agree. What better way to spend an evening.
I am so pleased we cut the mustard so to speak.
In between your frequent spates of hard work and money earning we would love to see you again and again.
Great review.
Cheers
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Divine!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

The tasting menu was the most enchanting meal in my life. I am not particularly fond of celery, however the chef is. Thus, he took the ingredient one does not particularly like and turned it into a perfect meal. I wholeheartedly endorse the restaurant to anyone with a distinguished food palette.

Hello Andra I
Nice review. Cheers.
I wonder though if that was celeriac?
Best wishes.