“Amazing!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kweilin Cantonese Restaurant

Kweilin Cantonese Restaurant
19 - 21 Dundas Street, Edinburgh EH3 6QG, Scotland (New Town)
0131 557 1875
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood, Cantonese
Good for: Doing business, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: New Town
Description: At ‘Kweilin Cantonese Restaurant’, we serve a selection of Cantonese dishes that uses the finest local produce, with an emphasis on showcasing Scotland’s great, variety of fresh seafood. Since opening our doors in 1984 we have continued to build upon our reputation for serving exquisite and authentic Chinese food.We always aim to please our customers, striving to ensure that we provide a relaxed and enjoyable dining experience for every occasion. Should you require any assistance, please do not hesitate to ask a member of staff who would be glad to assist.
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

This rather unassuming restaurant in Edinburgh's New Town has been established for years, and deserves its excellent reputation for genuine Canonese cooking. The crispy salted prawns are especially delicious, as are the pancakes with duck and plum sauce. The cooking is well balanced and imaginative, the ingredients are fresh, and the staff friendly and attentive. Perhaps most astonishing of all is the fact that you can dine out on a fantastic banquet for such a modest price. We enjoyed ourselves so much, that we went back again two weeks later. Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“Not a bad lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

We visited here for a team Christmas lunch. Lovely restaurant and equally good food. We all chose from the Christmas menu, which at £12.95 per head, was brilliant value given the quality of the food and the portions (although it's the first time I've ever had a Christmas lunch with no Christmas crackers on the table!).

Some confusion from our waitress over the 'optional 2nd course' which was priced at £4.95 for crispy duck - minimum 2 people. She insisted that it was an alternative to the first course which was a bit odd given it was described as an optional 2nd course. However when a couple of us queried along the same lines as our colleague she said she'd check with the manager and sure enough we had our crispy duck. It wasn't as good as the rest of the meal - I felt it was a bit dry, but we did all clear our plates.

I opted for the crispy seaweed as a starter, as did a couple of colleagues. Absolutely amazing and I'd definitely have it again. The general mix of starters all went down well as did the rather large main courses. Lots of happy noises from those eating lemon chicken, crispy beef, sea bass and the veggie option of bean curd with a great mix of vegetables and a decent amount of cashew nuts.

On the whole the service was good, however all the starters arrived apart from one and we all politely waited a good 5 minutes before tucking in just as our server re-appeared and a quick prompt brought the missing plate to the table. It was clearly forgotten about and made me wonder how difficult it would be to check that each diner has a plate of food in front of them given how they'd made a point of reading back the order so should have known all diners were having starters.

Not the best Chinese food I've eaten but definitely up there with the best contenders. They could do with turning the heating up a bit though, although perhaps being seated by a window was the reason I was cold throughout the meal.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Inverness, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I can not fault this place, the service was fantastic, the food was amazing, fresh and quick service! I will go back again when I am in Edinburgh next. The cost was great value, and i have to say the toffee apples for desert is a must!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“Terrible food and rather poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

Having been before I was reluctant to return, however out numbered I did dine here again with a couple of friends, and never again!!
The food had the same rather vinegary flavour again, which I couldn't eat, the staff had no interest at all! My friends were not as dissatisfied as I but not impressed
There are better oriental eateries than this.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Given the mixed reviews and I had booked on behalf of two colleagues I was a little nervous before eating here, but not now. Good Cantonese food and the service was prompt and polite. We went for the set meal and each of the three courses was good. In particular the prawns with ginger were delicious.