“Yum yum!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yum Yum HK Diner

Yum Yum HK Diner
13 West Richmond St, Edinburgh EH8 9EF, Scotland (South Side)
Website
Neighborhood: South Side
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Yum yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This cafe has become a regular dining place for my partner and I. As he is half Chinese we have visited a lot of Chinese resteraunts and cafes we have got to know the better places and this is one! The food is fab, quick and cheap. My partner who has been to Hong Kong has said that it is very authentic! As I am going there in July I hope to find this too and I am looking forward to trying the food if this is what it is like.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Edinburgh
“Finally! A place with decent Chinese grub!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

A fussy eater most of the time, I found this gem tucked along a side street. I needed something other than the typical MSG packed westernised Chinese takeaway. This place fits the bill. I had the duck egg congee and steam rice with the three roasts. My belly was satisfied. I will certainly be making more regular trips in the near future. I heard that this place made the typical Hong Kong egg tart, but unfortunately I've been told I'm a few years too late. Nevertheless, it must be doing something right if it is packed full of Chinese students from the local university across the road. I give it a 4 rating because it lacked the egg tarts.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Don't understand how this place has such good reviews!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

I ate here once, and never again! Food was greasy, starchy, MSG-laden and quite honestly borderline indelible. On top of it all, waiters were rude and irritable. Good Chinese food is scarce in Edinburgh, and this establishment is at the bottom of that barrel

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“Tasty, fresh food, fast.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Visited here at Easter. Went in because it was near to where we were staying.

Food was great, prepared quickly.

The bill was a nice surprise - very reasonable.

Would definitely visit here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Not a great experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

On my one visit, average food - shredded fried chicken a bafflingly unearthly luminous orange colour, ribs in gloopy sauce practically impossible to eat with either chopsticks or bare hands, good fried rice, and an utterly repulsive drink called Honey Lime which was like slightly tangy dishwater slops, complete with scum. Unsmiling stone-faced service, which you sometimes expect in Chinese restaurants but can excuse when the food is good, which it wasn't.

It's a small place and - in relation to what others have said - does usually seem well-populated by Chinese people. I'm willing to accept it has charms that eluded me that one time but I hesitate to go back. If I did, maybe I'd try something recommended by others here, plus avoid the honey lime drink.

• Visited September 2011