“PLEASE STAY AWAY UTTERLY RUBBISH SERVICE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ardgowan House Hotel

Ardgowan House Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ardgowan House Hotel
1 Lady Road, Edinburgh LL57 1DQ, Scotland   |
Ranked #399 of 441 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Oxford, United Kingdom
“PLEASE STAY AWAY UTTERLY RUBBISH SERVICE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Like few other said, me and my partner should have really read all the reviews before we went there. I cant begin and have enough space here to mention Mr. and his partner (either the place owners or just some caretakers) are by far the world worst people I have met and dealt with. The room was dirty, horrible, not at all to what we had booked and paid for. Both Mr. and Mrs are so rude that I cannot explain. I have attached the photos and cannot imagine Mr actually argued that the place was clean and that it was all our fault for whatever nasty reason he thought. The keys we were given did not work and rather apologizing for all the inconvenience he had caused he started accusing us for bending a thick steel key. He then asked us to leave his guesthouse same morning without even serving breakfast. Good for someone who is looking to rob and fraud them since the guest house is left up to guests to take care of most of the times in the late evenings. There was no phone if there would have been an emergency that night at the guesthouse. There is long story which ended by involving edinburgh police along with two other poor german girls who practically had no place else to go, since there was no one to check them in. The reason given by the place owner was that she has life and needs to be out on parties. Well then do not start a business that you cannot manage.
My partner has already filled against them in Financial ombdusman.

PLEASE THINK 100 TIMES BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO GO HERE. You will prefer staying on roads but not with them.

I have attached the photos of the room given to us. Please have a look.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

14 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Inverness, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

stayed in this hotel recently to be fair it was clean and tidy .average breakfast but our trip was completely spoiled by the argumentative landlord who to be fair does not single out individuals and is rude and nasty to everyone regardless of origin. i can honestly say i have never in my 63 years met such an obnoxious oaf of a man. the whole scenario became a joke beetween guests who all felt rather pitiful for his poor downtrodden wife who is unquestionably embarassed by this buffoons behaviour. I FELT LIKE WE STAYED AT FAWLTY TOWERS. AVOID...AVOID...AVOID...AVOID...

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Cloquet, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stayed at this B&B on 2 different nights. The first night in and the last night before flying out o Edinburgh. This family is a very nice family and very helpful also. We enjoyed our stay. Rooms were clean, but the stairs were tough for my husband. Their son helped carry the luggage up to the rooms. Very nice young man. Location is great. Call a cab to go into town. Breakfast was great. Showers were great also.
I would stay there again if traveling back into Edinbugh. Highly recommend them.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
krakow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

This was a great place to stay it was cheap and also very clean, the olde world ambience was just right for an old building like this.

The owner was very knowledgeable and his humour fantastic.

The other comments were nothing like described.

The breakfast was as much as you like which suited my wife as she was pregnant.

The location was good as it was near a shopping mall and it also had a direct bus link every 5 mins to the centre.

Thanks for everything
Jan from Poland

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Belfast, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2008

I wish I’d read the previous review by Heinlager before I stayed here. He couldn't be more right - the owner is an absolute bigot. His pastimes include flaunting his xenophobia, and collecting endangered animals to stuff or skin and display on his walls.

He seemed to have an especial dislike of the Irish as he spent the duration of my breakfast spouting racial slurs, and basically telling my Scottish girlfriend that she shouldn’t be going out with a ‘paddy’! But it doesn’t stop there; his intolerance seems to extent to everyone who isn’t in the Scottish upper-middle class.

Credit where credit is due, the place was clean and the room was a good size, but for a little extra money you could get somewhere closer to the city centre and with a more open minded landlord.

Like the dead animals on his walls, people like him are, thankfully, a dying breed.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — The owner
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2007

This is the worst place me and my partner ever stayed.

The bed was so creaky that everytime we rolled over we woke ourselves up. The owner who served breakfast is the most bigoted man I ever met. During breakfast he proceeded to discuss with us who he thought was the worst nationality to have stay. We also had the experience of him locking other guests out of breakfast because they were a few minutes late.

The elephant foot stool, and endangered animal pelts did nothing for me either.

This place is the reason why you shouldn't shop for accommodation by price...

Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ardgowan House Hotel? Share your experiences!