“Amazing food and service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Garrigue

La Garrigue
31 Jeffrey Street, Edinburgh EH1 1DH, Scotland (Castle / Royal Mile / High St)
+44 (0)131 557 3032
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
La Garrigue is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 1,825 restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Castle / Royal Mile / High St
Description: Close to the Royal Mile, La Garrigue is a low-key yet chic French restaurant in the buzzing heart of Edinburgh city centre. Smart hyacinth and white-panelled walls strike a stylishly understated tone, with simple wooden seating and bright windows offering views over Carlton Hill. Cuisine is similarly deceptively rustic, specialising in signature dishes from the rural Languedoc region of southern France heartened by deft modern cooking.
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Decided to come here as it is right next to our hotel, and received good reviews. We were not disappointed. It was a little quiet on a Monday night , but started to fill up later. Really friendly waiter who asked about where we came from, our trip so far. Good choice of food, not too many to overwhelm you but enough varied choices. My cheese soufflé was amazing, and the main course of coley with red rice was refreshingly light and delicious. My dad had the ribeye steak which was really well cooked. I just had to try the chocolate fondant, which was worth every single calorie! Real little gem, highly recommend!

89% Recommend
Edinburgh
“Fabulous French Dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

What a great place this is. We had a fantastic lunch here, 2 hours in La Garrigue and I came out feeling like I had escaped to France for a quick holiday...brilliant!

The menu is well thought out and interesting (in the best possible way!), what a lovely change to be offered such imaginative and enticing dishes. Our food was delicious, starters were a heavenly pear, walnut and roquefort tart (which I am still dreaming about as it was just so good) and a gorgeous soup with roast garlic. Toulouse sausage with veg and a tender beef cheek pie were perfect for mains, the sausage was served with pan fried potatoes and vegetables and was absolutely bursting with flavour, the pie was comfort heaven! Desserts....well, I could have eaten all four that were on the menu after much deliberation we chose floating islands in vanilla custard and lavender creme brulee.....need I say more!

In a nutshell this place is a gem, ever reliable, first class ingredients, thoughtful menu, superbly presented and delicious food, comprehensive wine list and service was impeccable too. What more can you ask?!

You must visit, we hope to get back soon as soon as we can sort a babysitter out!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surrey
“Great lunch in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

A group of us went for lunch at La Garrigue after a business meeting. A warm welcome, a large round table in a back room, fantastic value and tempting lunch menu and great service. I'll certainly go back.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A wonderful find in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012 via mobile

Thank you for a fantastic meal, the perfect way to end my trip with my fiancé to Edinburgh. For us it was comfort food of the first class! Generous portions and very wholesome food in a warm n cosy setting. It certainly made us very happy on a cold and dreary night. Thank you La Garrigue!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“High expectations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Given that at the time of writing, 80% of reviewers rated this restaurant excellent or very good, we were looking forward to what we expected would be a pleasant and tasty lunch. The decor is attractive, and the staff's French accents reassuring. The starters were unimaginative and fairly bland. I think you can always tell a good restaurant by how carefully it selects its house wine. In this case, their £16 bottle of house red was ... just ok, nothing special. My wife found her main fish dish to be tasty, but my 'checks of beef' were saturated with juice, and oddly seated on a foundation of pasta, with no vegetables. The meal was not good value for money, and in addition we both had upset stomachs for the rest of the afternoon. We have no plans to return, despite the nice French accents and staff, and side with the 20% of reviewers who also had less than positive experiences.

Visited October 2012
jm1789, Owner at La Garrigue, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
well, what can I say? sorry you did not enjoyed your lunch!?
Yes nof course I would like all of my costumers to leave the restaurant very happy . This is why I get out of bed every morning!!
After more than 35 years in the trade I came to accept that you cannot please everybody; does not matter how hard you try!
I just wished the people had the skills to verbally give their feed back, there and then ; being positive or negative. Why pay for something you do not like, then write about it? It just does not make sense.If things were that bad, have the guts to leave there and then, and go next door.But of course nowadays everybody is a food critics. Nobody talk; everybody text, every Tom , Dick and Harry is a food writer, a jounalist a fine gourmet ....
La Garrigue is a good , honest ,French Bistro. As said before, if you expect trendy, modern, celebrity Chefs food, glamour and glitz....then do yourself a favour and look for the places who are offering what you are looking for. La Garrigue is Languedoc , rustic food; terroir wines, service with a smile and affordable prices.
So my dear Sir, next time you are in Jeffrey street...keep on driving,
J-Michel