“Italian bread is not a Pizza Base” 2 of 5 stars

0131 555 1155
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Zizzi - Edinburgh Leith is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,020 of 1,790 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: At Zizzi we like to do things a little differently. We don’t do over-complicated recipes or scrimpy portion sizes. We’re all about the well-chosen ingredients, simply put together to make exceptional Italian food.You’ll find us in the Ocean Terminal Shopping Centre where the famous Royal Yacht Britannia is moored. Our restaurant is situated on the first floor with views spanning across the Firth of Forth. This is the perfect location for getting away from the hustle & bustle of the city centre hordes, ideal for catching up with friends, family, having a meal before seeing the newest cinema releases, also visiting the Royal Yacht or a bit of leisurely shopping. Ample free parking or just a 20minute bus journey to & from the city centre with buses every 10 minutes during the day, so it's easy peasy to get to!Dine al fresco with an outdoor dining area for sunny weather.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Italian bread is not a Pizza Base”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Where to start, hmm ... The Italian Bread was nothing more than a pizza base, immediate fail!!! Where is the platter of varied bread to dip?? I complained but what was the point!! The pizza was fine that I had, but my wife wondered where her meat and spice was, they must have given it all to me. Clearly gone down hill, and a disappointment and to be honest unless they sort things I won't be back.

• 3 of 5 stars Food

“Family meal ruined by aggressive waiter.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

On Monday, November 26, 2012, Laura Maguire wrote:

My family and I have just returned home from an quick, early evening meal, and we're perplexed, disappointed and insulted by the aggressive attitude of the male waiter who served us.
It started off well enough; we were given a choice of seat (in the practically empty restaurant), the ambiance was good with low lighting and plenty of fairy lights, and our waiter seemed pleasant enough, pointing out what we could and couldn't have from the menu as we had O2 vouchers (remember this as its important later).
We ordered and the food came promptly and it was warm. My calamari was a bit soggy and chewy, but so far so good.
When the waiter cleared the table he didn't ask if the food was to our liking but instead said to my 12 year old daughter, "another fresh orange and lemonade yeah?" This is a real annoyance to all parents I'm sure - We, the bill paying ADULTS, will ask you if my children need anything....yeah?
Sadly it went down hill from there. The main courses ranged from bland to unpalatable. My daughters margarita pizza was completely dry with hardly any cheese, my chicken penne with mushroom sauce was watery and tasted so peculiar that as I write I feel quite ill at the memory, and my husbands pizza with the 'innovative' calzone pocket was, unbelievably, both overly spicy AND tasteless - none if these things were addressed as the waiter whipped away the plates like a magician, without a word or a look.
At this point I thought, the food is poor, the service is poor but we've got these vouchers so nothing lost really, pay up and don't come back, simple.
Not so simple it turns out. When I asked for the bill he asked for my voucher code which I showed him on my phone. He brought the bill which I promptly paid (as I was in a hurry to get out of there). It wasn't until I picked up my receipt that we realised that we had been overcharged, which my husband pointed out to the waiter. And the waiter..... was NOT happy.
It turns out that he only used the voucher code for two meals, rather than three, even although I had told him when we arrived that there was three of us and I had vouchers (plural) he said snappily that it was one voucher for up two two people and "most people understand that!" (This was delivered with manic staring at me, and his hands on his hips.....a bit like a four year old), and apropos of nothing"ANYWAY, they're not OUR vouchers they're O2 vouchers you should take it up with them!!"
Eventually, the manager who was very pleasant, refunded the money which didn't please our petulant waiter. He strutted up and down past our table, at least 4 times, glaring at all of us (I'm sure he must have styled himself on Naomi Campbell circa 1990). By this time we were desperate to leave, so we took our refund and left, sharpish.
On a backward glance, I saw our candidate for an Anger Management course storming behind the bar, on his tippy toes, to get one final searing, filthy look in.
Not a pleasant experience, dining or otherwise, so we'll never be back.

“going down hill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

i have just visited this restaurant and I have to say I was disappointed with this visit. on arrival we were told there were numerous items not available. the food we ordered was ok, nothing special and was poor in comparison to other visits. I know this place is cheap and cheerful but I was very glad i had a discount voucher and that we didn't have to fork out full price for the food we received

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Over looking the Forth =lovely setting but that was the highlight of a very average visit. Italian tapas was a great idea and tasty enough but not much for the cost. Staff appeared to be run off their feet and whilst service was ok and the waitress friendly enough she was clearly harassed. A long delay between starters and mains left no time for desserts. Again food was ok but nothing to write home about.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent food - staff overworked and it was obvious to customers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

Visited prior to the cinema due to finding an offer on O2 moments. Served quickly with drinks then waited ages for food. A lot of customers arrived in this time and the lady who looked like the manager did not smile at all while taking them to their tables and was running around. We were sitting close to the bar where a number of dirty dishes were constantly dumped while she was running to seat more people. Perhaps someone called in sick but this was exactly the same experience I had at zizzi in Birmingham a couple of years ago. They could have done with two more staff.

Food was excellent. Starters are huge. Almost couldn't manage main course.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere