“Worth the trip across town” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #65 of 1,899 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“Worth the trip across town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I hadn't planned much before arriving in Edinburgh but I had looked up some restaurants and Passorn caught my eye. Having visited the Royal Yacht Britannia we were on the wrong side of town but the No11 bus almost took us to the door and it was well worth it. The food was great (being presented with the option of how hot we wanted the masseman curry and reasonable value but the real bonus was the staff. They were so polite and respectful it was a pleasure to eat there.

Visited February 2013

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very Good Food - Highly Recommended”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

My wife and I visited Passorn, based off a recommendation from a friend. The restaurant lived up to expectations.

Food was excellent and service was spot on. The waiter was very attentive and kept the service at a good pace. No long delays between courses.

The food was excellent quality, great flavours. Can't fault anything that we ate.

The restaurant itself is fairly small and it did feel a little cramped. It does feel that you are a bit close to the next group / table. There was a really noisy group when we went which was annoying but doesn't affect my opion of the restaurant as that could happen anywhere.

Overall if you are in Edinburgh and love Thai food I would suggest giving this place a go.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Coleraine, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I love Thai food so it was a priority for us to visit a Thai restaurant during our stay in Edinburgh. We were staying in Princes Street but didn't mind the 20 mins walk to find the restaurant considering its great reviews. Overall we were disappointed - the food was average and expensive and the portion sizes were very small, more attention was paid to the food's presentation. Also, while the staff were extremely pleasant and attentive we often felt uncomfortable as if we were being constantly 'watched' throughout the meal having our glasses topped up constantly and asked how everything was. Don't get me wrong, I know this level of attentive service is usually desirable but it was definitely 'over the top' heightened by the fact that the restaurant was very quiet on our visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ridgefield, Connecticut
“Hands Down Best Thai Food I Have Had”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I grew up in San Francisco and now live outside New York, so I have eaten at many, many Thai restaurants. This one is hands down the best I have had. The food was very authentic (be forewarned for the faint of heart - it is also very, very spicy). The service was impeccable. I was dining alone and they couldn't have made me feel more welcome, even bringing me a hot towel when the notice the considerable sweat that had broken out on my forehead have way through my soup.

Everything was fresh, bursting with flavor, and very authentic. The space is quite small and always seems to be busy, but well worth it. Easy to walk to from central Edinburgh.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ripon, United Kingdom
“Cramped Cramped”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very disappointing as we were packed in like sardines. A very uncomfortable and disappointing evening especially as was booked to be a romantic valentine's dinner.
No room to move between tables to get in and out, less than bags room between people on different tables. When a wine cooler was placed next to a table for them it meant the other people couldn't get out. Had to move candle as to not burn yourself when trying to get out. Tables far too small for the amount of dishes and cutlery needed, resulting in the waiting staff knocking things over on our table and other peoples tables. With closeness of other people you couldn't hear each other without shouting so everyone would here. We were pretty much taking it in turns to talk between ourselves and the couple next to us. The food was outstanding but could be abit spicy for some tastes. Some people were offered a choice of spice strength and some were not. The food couldn't make up for the shocking atmosphere and environment meaning we left without having a dessert. Staff were inconsistent as some people were getting roses and some were not, some tables were getting the same food twice (even tho there wasn't many tables to track).

Overall if the owner wasn't so greedy when fitting in so many tables then it would have been a much more enjoyable evening and the rating given would be very different. After our experience we would never go back or recommend it to anyone.

Visited February 2013