“Nice change from the norm” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ann Purna

Ann Purna
44 Saint Patrick, Edinburgh EH8 9ET, Scotland (Southside & Holyrood)
+44 (0)131 662 1807
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,408 of 1,789 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice change from the norm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My partner and I visited Ann Purna last night, my partner being vegetarian wanted to go to a non-dead thing restaurant. I was a bit dubious to be honest as I do like my meat, but as he was paying then I was more than happy to oblige. We were greated by a very friendly waiter who showed is to our table, the place wasn't too busy which was nice. The service could have been a little quicker but it was also nice to not feel to rushed, which can be the case with many other restaurant. We ordered our food, which did take a little longer to come than expected, but we did recieve an apology for this as the brown rice was being cookd fresh (and it does take longer to cook).

Overall it was very enjoyable and as a non-veggie I would certainly go back.
Reasonable price, good service and very tasty food.

As it was a cash only......I ended up pay, so maybe a card reader would be an advantage.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Clent, Worcestershire
“great staff, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

As a vegetarian living in the west midlands and a lover of Asian food I am quite spoiled for choice at home. I regularly work in Edinburgh so went here on a friend's recommendation. The staff are very friendly and attentive and the time taken for the food to arrive was OK, not speedy but nowhere like the times of other reviews. The variety on the menu is good with plenty to choose from but the actual quality isn't great. My dish was dripping in oil and was quite sloppy and certainly didn't taste that fresh. The price was also quite high compared to what I am used to.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Delicious veggie food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Visited here from Dundee by way of an Itison voucher, so glad we did. It was meant to be a treat for my veggie wife but as a carnivore I was more than pleasantly surprised by the tastiness of the food we selected. Added bonus was the attentive and friendly staff.Definitely worth a return visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Don't be in a hurry for your curry!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had dinner at Ann Purna last night using an Itison voucher. Wish we'd stayed in. On the positive front the staff are v. friendly and the restaurant looks nice but the service was one of the slowest we'd ever experienced. We waited 1.5 hrs for our starter to arrive! While we were patiently waiting (along with most of the other diners) food was being carried out the door in containers for a takeaway!! The restaurant was cold which made the wait even more uncomfortable - I could see people hugging themselves to stay warm. There was no reason or apology given. This should have been happening after half an hour. The manager only apologised after we asked him when we came to pay for our extras at the end. We were offered complimentary drinks but we wanted to get home to warm up :) Turns out they were catering for an external event which obviously took priority over a restaurant full of diners. So when booking a table maybe u should ask and if they're double booked then avoid. You should note that you will be given poppadoms and dips (one of which is tomato ketchup) at the start. These are not complimentary. They were just put on our table without being asked. We were thankful as it was the only thing we could nibble on during our long wait but cost c.£4. I heard one diner complain when the bill came. The food was ok - nothing outstanding. Not a patch on when the owner's mum ran the place and did the cooking. They'll need to get their act together. In these tough times word gets around of bad experiences as people are more discerning about where they spend their hard earned cash. We'll not be back for a very long time if ever :(

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Flavours that you've never experienced!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This has become our favourite restaurant in town and is always part of any special-occasioned day. To any carnivore who would turn their nose up at a vegetarian restaurant, you will be sorely missing out!! As a pure flavour experience you will be hard-pressed to find one better! And super great staff as well!

Visited June 2012