“Great place, friendly people and great food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Cellar Door

The Cellar Door
44-46 George IV Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1EJ, Scotland (Cowgate)
0131 226 4155
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cellar Door is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #337 of 1,826 restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, Steakhouse, Scottish
Neighborhood: Cowgate
Description: Step downstairs to our 50 cover restaurant where you will receive a warm and friendly welcome. We specialize in fresh local produce cooked to order by our passionate team. Ideal for couples, parties, group bookings, special occasions.
Millington, New Jersey
“Great place, friendly people and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We got brave and ordered the scallops and black pudding and a chicken dish. Both were good but the scallops were great. Who knew we would enjoy black pudding?? Finished with the sticky toffee pudding .. Again wonderful!

• Visited October 2013

81% Recommend
Edmonton, Canada
“What a Disappointment!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Cellar Door was highly recommended by our hotel, and so we were looking forward to a great meal. What a disappointment! I ordered the chicken, and when it came, I was unsure which object on the plate was chicken. After tasting everything, I still wasn't sure of what I was eating - a cylinder of pressed mystery meat, breaded and then deep fried? This was quite possibly the worst meal I have ever had in a restaurant.
My three companions were satisfied with their mains, but not blown away.To be fair, the service was very good, and I did not complain about my meal, so the management didn't have a chance to replace it. The chef might want to rethink that chicken dish. . .

• Visited October 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Tasting Menu Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband & I had purchased a voucher to try the tasting menu. It was fantastic and I would highly recommend it. I notice some of the highlights from it can be found on the Set menu also, at a very reasonable price of £25 each for 3 courses. I would recommend the terrine, blade of beef, and sticky toffee pudding. The service and staff were lovely too.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We have visited this restaurant on several occassions whilst visiting Edinburgh and never been disapointed. The food is always cooked perfectly and the prices are reasonable, Quiet during the week. If you have room try the choclate deserts, highly recomended.

• Visited November 2012
Musselburgh, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Friendly place with nice steak.
Service is good. Starters were disappointing but main and dessert were well presented. Definitely a place to try.

• Visited September 2013