“Food is good but not spectacular” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Buffalo Grill

The Buffalo Grill
14 Chapel Street, Edinburgh, Scotland (South Side)
0-131 667 7427
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #895 of 1,899 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: South Side
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Food is good but not spectacular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The prices you pay here are not really worth what you get. I found the steaks to be slightly overpriced especially when a couple of them were slightly overcooked. However the burger I had was tasty enough and I enjoyed it. The fact you have to bring your own alcohol means that you can get a better wine than perhaps you'd normally pay for in a restaurant to go with your steak. This may be quite a bonus to many diners and corkage prices are reasonable too.

Service is pretty fast, although somewhat impersonal. I feel like you could be in an out of here rather quickly which is not always what you want when coming for a meal. Not sure I'd return simply based on the fact there are so many restaurants in Edinburgh to try and this one didn't impress me enough to make me want to return instead of trying elsewhere.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Do not go there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

I am a waitress and love going to restaurants,edinburgh is a very nice city with lots of good restaurants this one was not one of them.Because located in good upmarket area th e prices are inflated! For tbone steak you pay 19 pound but you could buy the same at any supermarket of the shelf !most pubs food would be better!nothing wrong with the service just disapointed by a blend and overcooked meal

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
uk
“deliciousness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

wonderful service, atmosphere, and food!!!
cannot recommend this place enough, especially if you enjoy a well cooked, good quality steak!!

Visited November 2012
Cumbria
“Good food though not outstanding!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Met with friends here for a meal on a busy Saturday night between Xmas and new year. Bustling atmosphere, the place was packed and we were shown to our table which was right by the front door so it was a little cold- an icy blast each time the door was open- there was a radiator right beside our table but this didn't seem to get warm until just before we left!! I like the idea of BYOB but be careful as they kindly put drinks in the fridge for us but did not ask if we would like them back before we left- we had to ask and I felt a little embarrassed doing so!! We shared several starters, ribs which were excellent, chicken wings which were nice and tempura prawns which were very good though more imaginative sauces to dip in would have been nice. My husband had a steak which he said was very good and extremely well cooked and I had a chicken fillet in a creamy sauce with chorizo which was very tasty. They both came with a rather uninspiring salad and my biggest disappointment- Bog standard frozen chips!!! I would have thought a restaurant specialising in steaks and burgers etc would have thought of something a little more imaginative in the 'chip department'. All in all though good food at a reasonable cost.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh
“Consistently good steak, burgers and shrimp for at least 28 years”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Been a Buffalo fan since it opened 28 years ago. Now bringing the family... Great wee restaurant, great atmosphere, we usually book ahead but tonight tried for a cancellation and got lucky... so, always worth a try before booking anywhere else last minute. Simple menu all served perfectly tonight (New Years Eve) as always... never a duff meal here yet. Shrimp tempura still sizzling in a lovely light batter, crispy chilli beef as crispy as hoped for. Steaks were juicy with a lovely range of sauces, burgers were full of flavour with great choice of toppings. Great fries. The shared platter of ribs, wings and shrimp served across the room looked great too as did surf and turf. Friend had veggie (Spinach crepe) and loved it. Didn't have desert, too full BUT... the deserts I saw on other tables made me wish I'd had room. Staff attentive even though it was a busy night. Still going strong after 28 years... a great reliable old favourite of Edinburghers. Don't leave Edinburgh without trying it... they do great lunches too.

• Visited December 2012