“A nice surprise !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alva House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Alva House
You added Alva House to your Saves list
45 Alva Place, Edinburgh EH7 5AX, Scotland (Leith)   |
Ranked #203 of 440 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Zurich, Switzerland
“A nice surprise !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

ARRIVING -
I walked from the airport bus stop (at Waverley Station) until Alva Place (15 Minutes). I knew exactly the way because I checked it at google-maps before. But ALVA PLACE is the name of the building, not the street. I went first to the wrong street (also Alva Place) und could not find the number 45. Then I decided to go to the next street. It was there!

NOT A HOTEL -
If you are expecting the luxury of a hotel, you are wrong here. Important that you know: it is a Guesthouse, a kind of bed & Breakfast. But a VERY GOOD one!
Yes, it is a Gay Guesthouse with high level (not sexually orientated) and the prices are very reasonable. A well renovated historical building and VERY CLEAN !
Martin, the owner, was very friendly and gave me immediately information about the city.
I got my private key when I arrived and felt really free.

ROOM –
I booked a single room and when I arrived, I was offered a double comfortable and clean room upstairs for the same price. The bed sheets and towels were also very clean and new !

TOILET/ BATHROOM -
It was only three steps from my door and I shared it with the guests from the other three rooms. That was not a problem at all. The bathroom is small but looks beautiful. The hand soup has a delicious perfume!
BREAKFAST - was self-service/ prepare you own. Tea, (no coffee), milk, yogurt, cereals, toasts, butter, jam, honey, fruits (bananas, apples) muffins. And you can eat as much as you want until almost 12 am. (I missed some cheese.) You have breakfast together with other guests in one table. That is a nice opportunity to meet other people and talk. (If you are not a morning-talker, don’t worry, it is also possible that the others are still sleeping, or have already left, when you are having you breakfast alone in the kitchen.)

KITCHEN -
Small but fine ! And it is open all day long (and night). You can always have tea, biscuits…

NOISY –
The narrow street is quiet, but Alva House is close to London Road, which is extremely busy and noisy. I slept with my window a bit open (for fresh air) and it was loud. BUT I could sleep very well with my earplugs! (If you close the window I guess, you don’t need earplugs.)

DISTANCE -
Alva House is not in the central area. And I particularly find this good, because I prefer to keep a bit of distance from the touristic places. But in a 15 minute-walk you arrive in the Princes Street / Royal Mile.

VERY NEAR - Regent*s Pub / Sainsbury’s Supermarket only 5 min walk. And a delicious Indian Restaurant called TANDORI ROTI (only to take away) 2 min.walk in the London Road almost in the corner with Easter Road.

SURPRISE -
Yes, it is a nice surprise, when you book an accommodation per internet without knowing how is going to be and when you are there, you feel at home !

Ronaldo N.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
blackpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have stayed at ALVA HOUSE on several trips to Edinburgh and it nevers faulters. The rooms are spotless as is the rest of the property.Breakfast is help yourself in the kitchen but thats the way i like it, ceral ,toast,muffins juice tea and coffee ,all in the price and Martin the owner has no objection if you wish to use the facilities during the day or evening. Home from home and Martin always make u feel welcome.Always my place too stay in the lovely city of Edinburgh and cant wait to visit again later in the year. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at Alva House on our way to see family elsewhere in Scotland. As I have stayed here before I knew a little about rhe place. It is a Gay guesthouse, but it is not cheap, nasty or sexually orientated.

Let me start by saying that this is the best value for money B&B in Edinburgh. The rooms that I have stayed in are extremely well appointed. I booked the double bit was upgrade into the superior which was appreciated, and even if we paid the asking price we would have been very impressed.

The owner was on hand to attend to our needs and we had a nice chat over breakfast.

The Alva is located down the London road but is only an easy 10min walk to either Holyrood Palace/Royal Mile or Picardy Place and the New Town.

We come to Edinburgh often and this will definately be our first choice of accomodation from now on. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2011
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

The headline says it all really. The interior is understated and tasteful. I stayed in the single room, which was a perfect size, with basin in room. Breakfast was help-yourself in the kitchen, and had everything you might want.

The only complaint I would mention is that the shower pressure in the shared bathroom is really poor. But other than that - great value for money and perfectly located, in quiet street.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Hove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at Alva House and overall were very pleased with the 3 nights we stayed there. The booking process via email with the owner was very polite and efficient and location, 10 mins walk to Princes St was good. Yes the bathroom is shared but at £49 a night in a city centre I think it was good value. The room was spotless clean as was the bathroom. The help yourself breakfast did the job and was nice and informal. I would recommend staying here if you are looking for good value in the heart of the city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
airdrie
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed here recently - just a 10 minute walk away from Princes Street etc. - the room was very spacious and well-appointed and the owner very welcoming and friendly and informative about the local area. Didn't mind that the private bathroom was next door to the bedroom as you feel that you always have your privacy. I really enjoyed staying there and would definitely book again. Happy to recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Birchington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

Let's get the negative out of the way first. Stayed in the superior room, but it had no ensuite, and was next to the kitchen. London Road is extremely busy and noisy. The room is right on the road, and it's difficult to sleep when it's hot because you need to open the windows.
However, let's not forget the fact that it only costs £60 per night for the room, and that it is only 5 minutes walk to the bottom of the Royal Mile, or ten minutes walk to Princes Street.
There is tea, coffee and biscuits available all day, and a kitchen if you want to make a snack. The room was large and comfortable, and although not the Ritz, it was great for what we wanted - a place to stay!
Breakfast is continental, and self service which suited us fine, although the selection was a little limited. The owner is friendly, and knows the local area well. It was nice to be free to come and go as we pleased and I can't imagine what else he could have done for us.
In short, yes it has its shortcomings, however at £60 per night in the middle of Edinburgh - you can't go wrong!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Alva House? Share your experiences!