“grand and genial - loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Stevenson House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Stevenson House
You added The Stevenson House to your Saves list
17 Heriot Row | New Town, Edinburgh EH3 6HP, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #51 of 440 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Aachen, Germany
“grand and genial - loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Stevenson House very much!
Some points why this accommodation was one of the best I ever had:
First, the Stevenson House is very well located, so it is a very good starting point to explore Edinburgh and most is within walking distance. The Heriot Row is an affluent neighborhood and you don´t have the feeling that it is swarming with tourists (with the exception of some tourist busses, which passes by to have a look at the birthplace of Robert Louis Stevenson). Another convenience is, that all the residents (and their guests) have the privilege to use the park opposite to the buildings.
Second, it is a beautiful house and the interior decoration is in very good style. The room I had was very comfortable and the view out of my window was great. The dining room with its high ceiling was a light and very good place for having breakfast and also for a convivial evening.
Third, the owners, Mr and Mrs Macfie made my stay so unforgettable. There hospitality were outstanding and they had very good advices in connection with my sightseeing. I am very grateful for the uncomplicated and warm atmosphere in that house and the intellectually stimulating conversations I could have a share.

Before i wrote this review, I also read the negative reviews and ratings... I can imagine that there are some points, which might be true for a specific kind of people.
As this place is also the home of a family there can be some situations you don´t experience in cool and impersonal hotels.

But if you appreciate what I mentioned first, it´s a real insider´s tip!!!!

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

Yes indeed, there is nothing Hyde-like whatever about the marvelous Stevenson House. My partner and I were uplifted in so many ways by our stay here this New Year, and we dream of our return...

Our room on the first floor - the very master bedroom of Robert Louis Stevenson's parents - was magical: a four-poster bed, a cathedral-like bathroom with the original fittings from the time Robert Louis Stevenson would have used it - I noted the bath made locally in Stockbridge - and even some wee drachms of whisky kindly left for us by the Macfie family. The room was, despite its venerable history, also remarkably clean, warm, and dust-free.

Somehow John and the family manage to have an immensely welcoming and a light touch, so that we felt both looked-after and free.

In terms of the locale, it would be impossible to better: set in the heart of the graceful New Town, it is nonetheless still very close to Princes Street and hence the rest of the city - we were easily able to walk everywhere, including from Waverley Station.

This is a truly magical place to stay, especially if you love RLS! You are living within a remarkable family's home though, and for us this added to the charm and specialness, but may not be for everyone. My top tip? Read something by Stevenson first and think about how the house he grew up in might have influenced his understanding of space. Then go and sleep in that house... Life might have better experiences than this, but I have yet to discover them.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Loved my stay in this beautiful, inspiring ,very centrally located family home. Both my host and hostess did their upmost to make us comfortable, even spoil us. A memorable stay

• Stayed December 2011
Arlington, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed with my extensive family towards the end of August and decided that it was a place to cherish. It almost feels wrong to advertise as I would prefer to keep this gem to myself. However, I couldn't fail to praise this wonderful B&B once I had stayed there. Heritage is evident and Robert Louis Stevenson, former owner of this house and venerated Scottish author, was a huge draw for me. I was not disappointed. Our host, John, was happy to discuss the minutiae of Stevenson's life and works. I was most impressed and had a number of fascinating talks with him, and other guests, who are all encouraged to eat with the family creating a truly delightful, cultural atmosphere. One can not fail to mention the hostess, Felicitas, whose kindness and humour are of epic proportions and who seems to emit energy. She offered brilliant advice about the city and what to see/do, and was a huge character, full of life and integrity, and was able to switch between languages with incredible ease. I highly recommend this establishment and its wonderful staff, not to mention the spacious and well equipped bedrooms/bathrooms. It was truly a pleasure all round, and SO much better than some soulless chain. Certainly a great complement to the Festival. Also, if you are lucky enough to have dinner, you would be wise to ask for the freshly-caught scottish salmon. An absolute treat. Much the same as the Stevenson House itself.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Durban
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Had an awesome 9 day stay in this special historic family home - fantastic central location, comfortable spacious bedroom, wonderful hosts! Tip: must ask about the affordable evening meal option - delicious 3 course dinners.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

This warm, exuberant family home is one of life's delights: to stay somewhere that enhances your trip and adds to the tales you come home with. Our room was peaceful and a beautiful elegant sanctuary after a day or evening out in the heart of the city while the Festival and the Fringe were on. Breakfast is both relaxed and stimulating - a great sense of ease and welcome but also an international and eclectic mix of guests, family and friends. The hosts go that extra mile to include you and help with anything. We loved it and will definitely return again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Oegstgeest, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

Dear Traveller,
If you are connected to Robert Louis Stevenson en Scotland in any way, this is the place to stay. RLS left us a great deal of beautiful books of which several started in this house.
This is the real Edinburgh feeling, you only can get in this Magnificent New Town House, even if you don't know what a great writer Stevenson was. Imagine going back in time in this B&B as you look out of the window of your clean, spacious and historic, fully modern equipped room for a great stay in Edinburgh. (see picture)
I had a very good sleep in that room, a super shower (in the clean Bathroom of course) and a great breakfast with the host and his children. I even felt myself really at home in this house talking to the host and his kids.
I could park my car in a private garage around the corner in the middle of this great and beautiful town of Edinburgh.

Princess street the well known shopping street (and Waverley Railway Station) is in 5 / 10 minutes walk, and you also find nice restaurants nearby or a good pub and nice shops in Stockbridge in a 15 minute walk, not as busy as Princess street.

Overall a Great, Value for Money, Friendly, Hospitable, Clean, Great to Stay, Family House, in the middle of this Great and o so Friendly Town of Edinburgh, Scotland.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to The Stevenson House? Share your experiences!