“Great for anyone who likes a story well told” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rebus Tours

Rebus Tours
Royal Oak, Edinburgh, Scotland (South Side)
+44(0)131 553 7473
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #99 of 170 activities in Edinburgh
Type: Tours
Attraction Details
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great for anyone who likes a story well told”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

This is a 2 hour walking tour with good information on the website about what to expect. The walking is not too onerous, being well paced.
My husband has read many of the Rebus books; myself not a one-yet! I can recommend the tour for anyone who would be interested in hearing Rebus readings and information in the appropriate settings, but also for anyone who is interested in other literary and historical tales which belong in these settings.
Colin Brown has obviously put a huge effort into presenting the information in a truly accessible way which brings the tales to life. He does seem to be a strong character with opinions, and why not- so is Rebus! He may tease you a little,especially if ,like me, you have not read the books, but it was all very good humoured. Both my husband and myself got a lot of information and enjoyment out of this tour, and intend to take the second of the two tours on offer at the first possible opportunity.
We had lovely weather on this occasion, but the tour does go ahead in less favourable weather. It is possible to partake of refreshments and use the facilities at the Royal Oak pub meeting point.

Visited July 2011

England
6 attraction reviews
“Hidden Edinburgh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

This is one of the Rebus tours starting at the Royal Oak pub and led by Colin Brown. It gave all that is listed on the website, providing information on old and new Edinburgh and visiting some of the places featured in the Rebus novels. Colin is clearly a man with strong opinions and beliefs and may intimidate some people but nevertheless he managed to keep us entertained and intrigued for about 90 minutes. As the tour description indicates, this is not pure Rebus and you could still enjoy it even if you have only seen the tv and not read the books. For £10 it takes you to a different part of Edinburgh away from the main sights - in fact, when we passed some youngsters playing, we were clearly a novelty as one of them shouted, "Are yoos tourists?" and then offered directions to Arthur's Seat!
So, worth doing if you want to see a different side to Edinburgh, or if you want to see a few of the places mentioned in the novels, or to see a few places from Edinburgh's literary past with links to Scott, Doyle and Stephenson.

Visited July 2011
7 attraction reviews
“Bombastic, opinionated limited Rebus info, no flow and a mainly irrelevant diatribe about Scottish Nationalism.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2011 via mobile

The Rebus tour should have been a terrific intro to Ian Rankin's character Rebus and his Edinburgh. Instead, we were subjected to an endless litany of ill-informed CBS opinionated views on politics, economics and one-eyed history.

You know than bloke at the party who you get trapped by, the one who's had too much to drink and loves the sound of his own voice blathering on endlessly? That's what your ten quid pays for.
By all means go to the Royal Oak for a drink and some music, but save your money and buy a decent whiskey or two instead.

London
“Very good Rebus/Rankin Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

Don't expect a standard tourist tour here. It is for Rebus/Rankin fans spiced up with some other interesting stories. All in all a pleasant way to spend two hours. And the Royal Oak certainly is a very interesting place.

Visited April 2011
eastbourne
10 attraction reviews
“Rebus 'Hidden Edinburgh tour'”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Firstly let me say that we booked our trip to Edinburgh around the date of this tour as my wife is an avid Ian Rankin reader and has read all but one of his books which is currently out of print.

We met Colin Brown at the Royal Oak pub at 12 oclock, we actually arrived outside at 11.50 and no one was outside at that time. I looked inside the Bar and Mr Brown was at the bar so we introduced ourselves to him and told him we planned out trip around his tour. He could not have been less interested, didn’t want to make eye contact and hardly wanted to acknowledge us.

The tour started promptly at 12 and we went down to the Edinburgh medical college and was told the story of Burke and Hare then onto the boys school and given some more info including info on Conan Doyle.

We then went to Carnegie close, dummy dikes, the police station and were told about the Salisbury crag and Arthurs seat with a few readings from Ian Rankin’s books to set the seen ( which seemed to interest the rest of the group). I suggest you do not ask Mr Brown any question relating to what kind of acting he does as it will probably be met with a large rebuttal.

I found the whole package totally unprofessional and poor value. The tour lasted 90 mins and from the information gained I did not think it was worth the money and was not a patch on other tours we have been on.

I am sorry but I would not recommend this tour to anyone it was dour and disappointing for me but if you have a real interest in the Ian Rankin books then you may find some snippets of interest.

Visited April 2011