“10 Hill Place - great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ten Hill Place Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10 Hill Place, Edinburgh EH8 9DS, Scotland   |
Ranked #71 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
London, UK
“10 Hill Place - great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

My husband and I stayed at 10 Hill Place for a weekend in May to celebrate my birthday. Although when we arrived, the receptionist was struggling to find our booking (we booked through Octopus), she and all other members of staff were polite and welcoming, and they eventually tracked our booking down. Our room although on the small side was nicely decorated, large comfortable bed and flat screen TV, through which you could also access the internet. The bathroom was spacious and both bathroom and bedroom were spotlessly clean. Contrary to other reviews, we found breakfast to be a pleasant experience, on one of the mornings we came down late and had to wait, but it was only for about 10 minutes in the lobby area, where they had tea/coffee and juice for those who were waiting. Location convenient - as mentioned by others, 10 mins walk to Old Town, or any bus passing on the main road would also take you into town for £1. Overall had a lovely stay at the hotel and would not hesitate in returning or recommending to others.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2007

We stayed in Ten Hill Place as a party of 4. The two rooms that we had were both very high quality. The bed was the most enormous I have ever seen. All the furnishings were a very high standard and very clean. The communual area downstairs while not being grand is in pleasant minimal style. And the cost of the drinks at the bar were a pleasant surprise, not the normal rip off hotel charges.
The location is good less than 10 minutes to the royal mile.
We booked the hotel through lastminute and we thought the price was very good value.
I would recommend for anyone to stay here.

Stayed May 2007
Pencoed, Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

Have just returned from a two night stay at Ten Hill Place - 12 of us there to celebrate a 40th birthday. All agree that the hotel is absolutely brilliant! All rooms are comfortable, modern and stylish. A few of us are not sure we like the frosted glass bathroom doors - but the rest of us didn't mind at all. This niggle was far more than compensated for by the extremely comfortable beds, facilities offered and size of the rooms. The staff are all very friendly and helpful.

Earlier complaints on this site concerning breakfast were completely unfounded if our experience is anything to go by - plenty of choice, items constantly being replenished once they ran out, plenty of staff clearing tables, etc.

The hotel is very conveniently placed - only 5 minutes to the Royal Mile and another 5 minutes to Princes Street. Plenty of restaurants nearby though we'd advise booking ahead if there are a large number of you. We did have an excellent meal in The Waterside Bar and Grill in Leith though!

All in all, the 12 of us all intend to stay at Ten Hill Place if we go back to Edinburgh - something we all intend to do as soon as we can because our weekend was just brilliant!

• Liked — Cleanliness, very comfortable beds, generous breakfast options.
  • Disliked — Some in our party didn't like the frosted glass bathroom doors.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Antwerp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of staying at Ten Hill Place Hotel. This was my second time visiting Scotland, but my first in Edinburgh, and chose to give this hotel a try after doing some research and reading numerous positive reviews. Now that I've experienced it myself, I'm thrilled to add my voice to those singing the praises of this lovely little hotel.

From the moment I arrived, everything went smoothly. I'd made my reservation through the hotel's website and upon my arrival, I was checked in and given my room key in a matter of minutes. I booked myself a standard room and while it was slightly smaller than I initially expected, it wasn't cramped by any stretch. Modern decor, but not at the expense of comfort, and immaculately clean. All kinds of amenities are offered: an LCD TV, free broadband internet (if you bring your own laptop), a tea/coffee and cookie tray, bottled water, plenty of storage space, big fluffy towels, and an airy bathroom with powerful shower and some good-quality soaps, shampoo, and the like.

The hotel staff was friendly and courteous as a general rule. Never too busy to answer a question, call you a taxi, or help out with anything you need. Cleaning staff was non-intrusive, efficient, and would leave you alone if the "do not disturb" sign was on your doorknob.

As far as location is concerned, the hotel is situated in the heart of the university area, just off the main campus of Edinburgh University. Nicholson Street, at the end of Hill Place, is fairly busy at all times of day and features a number of shops and places to eat (particularly if you just want to grab some take away). Nearly All of the city's major tourist attractions, shopping districts, restaurants/pubs, and nightlife are just a short walk away. The Royal Mile is only a few blocks down the road and Princes Street is a 10-15 minute walk, tops (sometimes slightly longer with Edinburgh's numerous hills). For those less inclined to walking, you're just around the corner from a bus stop and taking a taxi to Prince's Street costs only a few pounds. Waverly Station is about 10 minutes walk away, though I'd recommend taking a taxi to the hotel if you have large luggage with you or you're not entirely sure where you're going. While the hotel is slightly off the main drag, I found this to be a positive quality, as you had a bit of an Oasis in an otherwise busy city. Hill Place is generally a quiet street and even though my room was on the side overlooking the street, I had nothing to complain about as far as noise was concerned.

I did not go down to the dining area for breakfast, as I'm told it can get rather hectic (at least during the weekends) and wasn't into the idea of getting down there by 9:30 after late nights on the town, but you do have the option of having continental breakfast brought to your room at no extra charge. I tried it out the first morning I was there and it's good, but basic. Afterward, I generally took to getting breakfast at one of the local pubs for something a bit heartier.

And as a quick note for smoking travelers, Ten Hill Place does not offer any smoking bedrooms. I was already aware of this going in from reading some reviews, but the hotel doesn't mention this at all on their site and they probably should. But if you don't mind having to pop outside when you want to smoke, I found no problem in doing so. The area is generally rather safe and quiet, even late at night.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Edinburgh. The five days I spent there were wonderful and I almost didn't want to leave. Great value in a phenomenal city with many genuinely warm people. I'll certainly be back!

• Liked — Beautiful rooms, great value, wonderful bed
  • Disliked — some sort of fridge in the room would have been nice
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2007

We stayed at Ten Hill Place for the early long weekend in May. The hotel property is great, brand new and very trendy, but it doesn't live up to it's image.

The location is ok, it is a 10 minute walk south of Old Town, but I would probably try to find somewhere a bit closer next time, as the hotel didn't overwhelm me in any way.

The staff are friendly, the rooms were impeccably clean and the food was pretty good.

They seem to still be suffering teething problems (only opened in Nov 2006). We had to wait 10-15 minutes to sit down for a self-serve breakfast. Two of us ordered porridge one morning - mistake! It took forever and then the waiter gave one bowl to us and one bowl to another table. Then another 10 minute wait for microwaved porridge!

We also made a small request at reception one evening (more milk for tea), but no one ever came to drop some off. we tried calling reception after the shift change to ask again - and then no one answered the phone!

It seemed a little bit more expensive than other places in Edinburgh, but it would have been worth it if the service had been up to scratch.

I've also just found out that the check-in staff have charged my credit card three times (and three separate amounts, up to 2400 pounds!), so I have that to deal with now.

Previous to that, i thought I might give them another chance, but to be honest, I would rather skip the hassle next time.

So - the rooms were beautiful and the housekeeping staff were great.. everything else made the trip less of a getaway than I'd hoped for.

Edinburgh was a beautiful city and I can't wait to visit again.. and try somewhere else to stay!

• Liked — Fabulous room, cleanliness, pretty good location
  • Disliked — Overall Service, being charged three times!
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2007

We arrived an hour earlier than normal check-in time at 2.00pm, the room was ready and we were immediately given our keycards. We managed to get free parking at the hotel too, covering the whole of our stay, which was a great bonus.

We had booked a standard room, and I thought that it was a good size, not huge, but definately spacious enough for a couple of nights. The decor is lovely, very contemporary and high standard. We had an amazingly comfortable bed, an LCD tv, a powerful shower and all the usual offerings etc. tea/coffee making facilities, iron & ironing board, safe. The rooms, as does everywhere in the hotel, get really warm! There are airconditioning temperature panels in the rooms though, so you can set this to suit yourself.

Breakfast was a very straightforward affair, no problems getting a table at all, and the food was of good quality with lots of choice. Service at this hotel was excellent, from every single member of staff.

The hotel is situated about a 5-10 minute walk to the Royal Mile, which is ideal as it's nice and quiet in the evening/later at night. You are close enough to all the restaurants and bars, but can escape to the peace and quiet afterwards. The hotel provides a great magazine which lists out 100's of restaurants etc. - a big help in choosing where to eat.

Would definately stay at Ten Hill Place again if wanting to spend more time in Edinburgh.

• Liked — Very stylish and contemporary
  • Disliked — Nothing!
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2007

We arrived to Ten Hill Place on the saturday of the easter bank holiday weekend, excited about our first visit to Edinburgh. Upon arrival we discovered that we were not in fact booked in as there had be a slip up with the website we booked through!!! And to make matters worse...the were fully booked!!!

Gary on reception was so helpful and calming! He rang around many hotels & guest houses and eventually got us one close by. He saw our disappointment with not been able to stay in the hotel so he booked us back in he hotel for the Sunday night for the same price as the guest house. What a gent!

The hotel rooms are large, modern and very welcoming. The bar and restaurant are small but you are mostly OUT on the town in this City!!

Location is great. its about a 10 minute walk (max) to the royal mile and if your feeling tired any bus that passes will take you there for a pound.

• Liked — rooms very comfortable
  • Disliked — bar and restuarant are small
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Ten Hill Place Hotel? Share your experiences!