“Brilliant during the day...but by night...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mortonhall Caravan and Camping Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Mortonhall Caravan and Camping Park
You added Mortonhall Caravan and Camping Park to your Saves list
38 Mortonhall Gate, Frogston Rd, Edinburgh EH16 6TJ, Scotland   |
Ranked #31 of 187 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberystwyth
“Brilliant during the day...but by night...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Given that this was the first time I had been camping since I left school (over 10 years ago) it is fair to say that I really enjoyed myself. Granted the week myself, partner and friends were there we only had one day of bad weather and that was fortunately on the last day so that didn't really matter to us.
The campsite had ample amenities, a reception/shop that was open from 8am to 9pm, kitchen, washer/dryer facilities and a games/TV/communal room that were all open 24hrs.
The toilets/shower blocks were relatively clean, the water lovely and warm - I did have to mop out a rather large amount of hair from one shower plug hole to let the water from the shower drain properly or I would have found myself with a small pond, but that was only one morning and I don't think the cleaning crew had been in there yet (it was early!).

When we arrived, we thought that getting a pitch pretty much at the entrance, opposite the reception block was a good convenient thing. No not at all. At night, there are two massive flood lights which stay on all through the night, and both are angled to give the entrance of the site plenty of light, unfortunately, because they are flood lights, they light everything else up too.
Additionally at night, a chain barrier is out accross the access with a sign to patrons that taxis are not permitted into the site after 8pm. Nobody follows this rule, not even the taxi drivers, who actually gave the security guard abuse when he pointed this fact out. The taxi cabs are loud, alot of them are the typical London Black cab type that have engines which sound like the Devil himself has a particularly nasty throat/cough. People passing by were loud, rude and had no consideration for those trying to sleep not 5 metres away even when asked nicely to keep it down!
There are some very simple solutions to this, don't put guests in front of reception/near entrance or if you do then you offer substantial discount or at least a warning that there may be some disturbance, or, move the chain barrier further up the road so taxis can drop off and turn around away off from the site, an additional security guard can gently 'remind' people to be considerate of those trying to sleep.

It is unfortunate as this campsite deserves a the very least a 4 or 5 star rating.

We have no idea if these reviews are read and taken into account but if they are, we will be making further comments to the owners of the site/management.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Another great stay at this fabulous caravan and camping site. The facilities are wonderful and the owners know just what campers need. The staff are very helpful and go out of their way to make sure your stay is a happy one.

• Stayed August 2013
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Camped there for four nights to see the tattoo. Firstly must apologise for our car alarm which kept going off in the middle of the night, oops. One of the best camp sites stayed at. Great facilities and pub food prices reasonable. Easy access to Edinburgh but must remember that after midnight buses only run every hour on the hour. We turned up at ten past one doh.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Caboolture, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed one night in a small motorhome.
Friendly and helpful staff at reception.
Wi-Fi is expensive, but good signal strength and speed.
Good access to Edinburgh by bus at front gate (10 minute walk from reception).
Amenities blocks are clean, with ample hot water.
Pitches are level and accessible, but no demarcation between neighbouring pitches.
In our case it was not clear which power outlet belonged to which pitch, so that the outlet designated for our pitch was already in use by a neighbouring pitch. Needed assistance from reception staff to sort it out.
The caravan park is surrounded by farmland; a nice rural setting handy to Edinburgh's urban attractions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
garstang
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I used to frequent Liitle France camping site over 20 years ago when I used to visit the Fringe. Now some 22 years on I decided to introduce my kids to the kind of fun I used to have when I was in my early twenties - you do the maths!! Little France has long vanished due to property development, but boy oh boy had I wished I had had this place to stay at all those years ago.

Only two things to moan about is the ground - is it me or does it get harder the older you get and Spanish campers - they take longer than anyone to shower to the point of four happy campers processed themselves through the shower in the time it took our fellow europeans to was their undercarriages. I digress.....

Campsite is ideally located for travel into the city by bus or by car. The onsite facilities are super. Helpful check in staff and staff in bar area. Hot and cold running dish wash areas and clean shower blocks. All in all a great place to stay - i can in all honesty say if I had a fully sprung mattress and a duvet, even with shared facilities this place would have a silver star ETB ranking as the quality was that good.

So impressed am I that I intend to go back in the very near future and camp again. Maybe even try out the wigwams later int he year for a bit of respite for the old bones.

Great place to stay and can't recommend highly enough.

Room Tip: It's a campsite - enjoy
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed in a wigwam for three nights and had a fabulous time. The wigwam was clean and comfortable, with fridge, kettle, microwave + TV. We were situated right by the kitchen, laundry + shower block so it was perfect. Topped with excellent weather + a fab pub it was just the job. Would most definitely stay here again! Ed Fest rocks!

Room Tip: Book early !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time we have visited Morton Hall and I'm sure it won't be the last! With easy access to Edinburgh via bus services, the park has welcoming atmosphere everyone we met was very friendly as to the people of Edinburgh! We were lucky enough to witness a live band during the stay who we're traveling through with the gumball rally, absolute fantastic so a big thanks to them.!!! A . Toothill, Settle, North Yorkshire

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Mortonhall Caravan and Camping Park? Share your experiences!