I have mixed feelings about my experience at Smart at IQ, Grove Street, Edinburgh. The hostel is in quite a good location - only 10 minutes walk from Princes Street. It looked like everything had been renovated and it was great that I had my own ensuite bathroom. The power of the water in the shower was great. I booked the hostel so I could cook for myself while I was there, to save some money and I had the kitchen to myself the whole time. The amount of utensils provided is limited. There is the basic cutlery, cups, plates, 3 frying/saucepans but there are two fridges, a kettle, microwave, oven and hob, so this sort of compensates for the small amount of cooking utensils and crockery. I was only cooking for myself so I didn't need more than what was provided but if groups were cooking there, I would say that more utensils should be provided.
The room was very clean and it was pretty quiet, apart from when the fire alarm went off at 7.20am on Saturday morning. It was a false alarm but I didn't see any staff around to tell us this. Everybody just went back to their rooms after 10 minutes.
Staying in a hostel for five nights, I would expect the towels to be replaced every day by housekeeping but after the first two days, I had to ask for new towels and they didn't clean my room while I was there. It does say on the website that there is housekeeping but I didn't find out, until I asked the guy who was replacing the towels, that we had to put our used towels outside our room doors to be picked up by housekeeping.This wasn't explained to us at reception. When I checked in, the girl on reception told me that they had charged me twice, by mistake, for the 10% deposit on the room but she gave me back the 14 pounds in cash.
It wasn't the best hostel I've stayed in but overall, I would say it was pretty good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just off the Royal Mile in the heart of Edinburgh's Old Town, Smart City Hostels, Edinburgh, redefines the hostel experience. Smart City Hostels is an award winning stylish five-star hostel with great facilities that make it the ideal choice for value accommodation in the heart of Edinburgh. Smart City Hostel's rooms are clean, comfortable and spacious and all have en-suite facilities. The hostel can provide private rooms as well as larger dorm style living so there really is something for everyone. Smart City hostels really is the ultimate urban retreat with Bar 50, a fully licensed restaurant and bar, with free Wi-Fi, Sky Sports, pool table, and a great atmosphere. There is also a 24 hour reception, no curfew, and all of Edinburgh's lively night scene and famed attractions on your doorstep. Smart City also offers fantastic City break deals, family and friend packages, group offers and stag and hen specials as well as seasonal offers. So what are you waiting for? Come and see for yourself why Smart City Hostels is the smart choice for your journey to Scotland's vibrant and historic Capital city. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Despegar.com, HostelBookers, HostelWorld, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Smart City Hostels Edinburgh reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Smart City Hostels Edinburgh Hotel Edinburgh
- Smart City Hostels Edinburgh Scotland