“stay at averon guest-house” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Averon Guest House

You added Averon Guest House to your Saves list
Averon Guest House
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   44 Gilmore Place | Central Edinburgh, Edinburgh EH3 9NQ, Scotland (West End)   |
Special Offer
Live Scottish Music
Ranked #121 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Moscow
“stay at averon guest-house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

I had been staying in Averon guest house for one month. The service was really good. The location of the guest-house is very convenient for the city-centre. The guest-house has a free car-park (so, it is a great plus for those who travel by car). Also there are hot full-cooked (!) breakfasts in the morning, not like in other hotels where you eat dry yesterday's bread and drink not very good juice.

• Liked — location, breakfasts and free internet access
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
siena, italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

Well, I spent 6 days there with my girlfriend, and I must admit the g. house was a real surprise! The first day we stayed in a very small room, cozy, but small. Then, maybe because we were nice and kind customers, or simply because we were lucky, we moved to another room at the 2nd floor, and it was HUGE! 4 beds, a fireplace and a small hall right before our bedroom... In a nutshell, a suite! Everyday the breakfast was yummy and there was always plenty of food. Definitely I suggest you to try Averon g. house!

• Liked — position
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

Worst I've ever stayed in. Shabby decoration, toilet seat broken, floors bumpy, wallpaper peeling in shower room, handwash watered down. Furniture looks like its come from a house clearance.
Breakfast poor quality & quantity.
Colud be so much better if money was spent on it.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2007

I am giving it one star because it is well located and it has parking, but it is the worst B&B I have stayed in. Rooms are dirty, food is bad and it is expensive. You are lured with a grade B listed building and it is sad it is so badly taken care of. How can you have such a small pride! Do not waste your money here.

Stayed July 2007
Limerick, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed in the Averon for 3 nights. The guesthouse was old and a bit thread bare. The room was basic but we had everything we needed. There was no lock on the bathroom door and the heat and pressure in the shower was poor. (note that it took us 10 minutes to find the master switch for the shower in the first place). No soap and handwash watered down. Toilet needed a lot of encouragement to get it to flush. While the matress was reasonably comfortable the creaking from the bed/floorboards was absolute awfull and we managed to wake ourselves up a couple of times when we shifted position in the bed as we slept. There is no soundproofing whatsoever and we could clearly hear other guests walking around and talking and the door bell ringing at all hours. The room was exceedingly warm (we couldnt sleep on some nights) and there was no way of turning it off. There was a window but my boyfriend nearly broke his neck trying to reach up to get it. Breakfast was grand but cups werent always clean and there was a queue every morning. It was tolerable but we wouldnt stay there again or recommend it to friends.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — creaky bed and floorboards, no soundproofing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2007

We would like to pre-warn anyone thinking of staying at the Averon B&B. It was not worth the money we paid each per night. The place is old and rather threadbare. You'd expect a little more for £32 per person per night. The breakfast was dismal - ONE piece of bacon, ONE sausage, ONE egg, ONE tomato. The bedroom was fairly spacious by UK standards, but the mattrass was the most uncomfortable i've ever slept on. In fact i don't think i slept much at all, what with the creaking floorboards and the way the bedroom 'moved' when others next door walked around! There was no soap in the bathrooms (expected at that price per night) and the liquid handsoap had been watered down! The bathroom door lock didn't work and the door didn't even close. The shower was terrible, you had to jump around to get any water on you!!!
We moved out the next morning and thankfully found accommodation in the Premier Travel Inn in Morrison Street which was close to the city centre - a true 10 minute walk or even less and amazingly close to Haymarket Station. Here we paid the same price although we had to pay extra for breakfast, but at least that was eat all you want buffet with a great variety of food on offer.
We usually check the tripadvisor website for reviews and certainly wish we had in this instance!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here!
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Copenhagen
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2006

Averon Guest House is not a place that I would recommend to anyone!
The single rooms are incredibly small. My bed barely fitted in the room. I was promised a ‘nicer room’ as I was staying for some weeks, but somehow it failed to materialize.
The house is very old and the floorboards creak, when someone walked up the stairs in the hall not only could I hear it, but I could actually feel my bed move! My window would tend to get stuck and I had to lean against my door in order to close it.
I don’t think anyone had vacuumed under my bed for months, instead I found a box of insect poison. I can only speculate on what it was keeping at bay. The reception on the television was really bad with only the local station being bearable to watch.
The bathroom was shared between a lot of people and there was never any soap. Not what I had expected to get for £30 a night.
.The full cooked breakfast is the worst I have had in Scotland and always took ages to be served. The young staff were friendly but didn’t speak English very well.
All in all, the place is not worth the money, I only stayed on because my work place had already arranged for me to stay there.
As for the owners; About a week before I was due to leave the owner suddenly demanded that I pay my entire bill at once. When I asked the reason for this, he said that it was ‘because his wife said so!’
I was very surprised at this turn of events. I had already settled half of my bill, but because of problems with my visa card limit I was going to pay the rest in cash on departure and I had not been informed that they expected me to pay everything a week before I had actually ended my stay!
When I explaining this to the owner he demanded in front of all the guests in the dining room that I go and find a bank right now! When I told him that I didn’t have time to go and find a bank at half past 8 in the morning as I was going to work in the Medical Research Institute in the other end of the city he kept insisting ‘there are hundreds of banks in Edinburgh! It shouldn’t be difficult to find one’ (this in front of everybody who must have thought that I was some sort of criminal..) I finally caved in (I had already missed my bus arguing with the man…) and so I had to miss half a day of work.
I have never before been treated this rudely in my life anywhere in the word! This description does not do it justice. .I am still absolutely shocked by the the manner in which I was treated by the owner of Averon.
Gilmore Place, the street which Averon Guest House is on is filled with guest houses with the same good location, Why anyone would choose Averon and risk being treated horribly is beyond me.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the way I was treated by the owner of the place
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay there!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Averon Guest House? Share your experiences!