“Small hotel but really a gem in Edinburgh” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nira Caledonia

Save Saved
You added Nira Caledonia to your Saves list
Nira Caledonia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 - 10 Gloucester Place, Edinburgh EH3 6EF, Scotland (Formerly Number Ten Edinburgh) (New Town)   |
Ranked #8 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Chengdu, China
“Small hotel but really a gem in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I can't wait to review it though we are still travelling in UK at the moment.Spent 3 nights in this hotel with my wife.small but a really good hotel,big and unique style guest room with good breakfast,and I'd strongly suggest that try its wonderful restaurant for dinner !

• Stayed April 2014
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Hello MZ1968
Sounds to me like you enjoyed your time with us and that tells me we are doing our job. The team at Nira are all very proud of the hotel and we aim for a guest centric experience that will ensure guests return year after year. I lok forward to welcoming you back to us soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Greek first
sunderland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We have stayed here twice in the past 6 months, once in December to celebrate my husbands 30th birthday and just this week to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. The location is excellent for both Stockbridge and George Street. We thoroughly enjoyed it both times and will inevitably stay again in the future. I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel and the staff. The restaurant is also amazing but it deserves a review in its own right, but I must mention the delicious breakfasts served here included in the price of the room.

I believe we stayed in room 1008 the first time, this is a beautiful vast suite which we were swiftly moved too after the heating was not working in our first suite. Most recently we stayed in an executive room (606) as I wanted something a little cosier than before. The rooms are beautiful, every room is individual which adds to the charm of the hotel. Only problem with that is I now want to pop my head in all of them to find my favourite for next time. Only a couple of niggling things, 1008 doesn't have a full length mirror or a socket near a mirror to dry your hair-although I'm sure if I had have asked they would have brought me an extension(or a mirror).

Both times we have visited the service from Rory and his team has been second to none, they are extremely welcoming and accommodating adding personal touches here and there along the way. From initial contact with the hotel to the moment you leave, the staff are nothing short of excellent. They will help in any way they can whether it be recommendations of bars and restaurants or directions. The water brought to the room on an evening and the tunnocks teacakes are just a couple of examples of what sets this hotel apart from the rest.

We have stayed in a couple of other 5* hotels in Edinburgh but this is now the only one I will consider. We look forward to our next visit :-)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hello Rabekha
Love your review, thank you so much . It was great seeing you both at dinner on your anniversary and i hope you enjoyed the drinks and turn down we arranged?
It's so nice when guests return and we get to know you , it helps us deliver super service .
I've added a full length mirror to 1008 today, great point , thank you.
Hope to see you both again soon.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Location- was a 5 min walk into the new town. Around the hotel were lots of cafés, restraints & couple of pubs.

Hotel - the hotel was beautiful, we had a jacuzzi suite. There were a room with a sofa & tv, bedroom and separate jacuzzi room. Very big and everything you needed and more!!

Staff- very friendly, they were always there for anything you needed.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Aw1991wyork.
The title of your review says it all really. Sounds to me like you stayed in 1006, it's a great room with a huge Jacuzzi, to be honest all the jacuzzi suites are stunning, my favourite changes weekly.
Sounds to me like you had a great trip and a good stay. Thank you for taking the time to review us, it really makes all the hard work worth it.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here as an anniversary treat. We 'umed and arred 'about whether to choose the Nira, the George or the Scotsman. I am so glad that we chose the Nira - it was perfect.
We arrived late in the evening by cab. (about £25) The area is lovely, very quiet and classy. The hotel is set in amongst a row of town house buildings - like a mews and is in 2 seperate houses.
The receptionist was expecting us and immediately made us welcome and arranged for our luggage to be taken to our room. She personally walked us to our room (30 seconds away)which was on the first floor of the building next door but one. The outside of the hotel is lovely with an arch and fairy lights over both front doors. It looks very smart and well cared for.
Our luggage was delivered just a few minutes later.
Our room was lovely, double bed, TV, kettle and tea making supplies and a Nespresso machine with coffee pods. there were even Tunnocks tea cakes - what a lovley change from biscuits- a real treat, and caramel wafer bars. There is a fridge containing chargable mini bar drinks and snacks and also a bottle of fresh milk for you to use to make tea etc.The bathroom was spotless and lovely toiletries are provided - shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion . The lighting was good for putting on makeup and there was a shaver point and a magnifying mirror. There was plenty of hot water and fluffy white towels, bath robes and slippers.
A hairdryer is also provided and there was a large mirror in the main room. The ceilings are very high and the room felt light and airy..but still cosy. We slept really well, it was very quiet.
The staff at this hotel make the experience just perfect. Everyone was so genuinely lovely and always said hello when we passed any of them. We had several chats with the bar man, the waiter, the receptionist- in fact I think they all do a little of each job. Even the chef walked through a couple of times with his box of fresh veg, on his way to the kitchen, and gave us a smile and a hello. They are so eager to help and please- nothing is too much trouble.

When we had unpacked we noticed a handwritten note from the hotel manager welcoming us to the hotel and congratulating us on our anniversary - another personal touch - thank you.

The bar and restaurant are lovley - just big enough to be intimate and cosy. Both have a warm and special feel to them. of course it is the staff who really make it - they are in no way obtrusive but warm and friendly - we were offered a glass of pressecco , most welcome, and this arrived with a small selection of complimentary bar snacks.
We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening - we chose the 7 course tasting menu with accompanying wines - it was really special - just fabulous. Highlights were...well all of it really...book it, it's a great experience.
The breakfasts were hearty and tasty - we opted for the Full Scottish - certainly didn't go hungry - again the waiting staff are happy and helpful. So many 'morning' staff just grunt at you- not here - they are brilliant.
We would not hesitate to stay here again and recommend to everyone. There are no negatives.

Room Tip: Ax it is a listed building , they are all different and individual - I don't image there are any...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hey JandY44.
Another review and another top mention for the famous Tunnocks tea cakes.. Oh and the team here at Nira, really great review, thank you for taking the time to post. All the team for housekeepers to maintenance to chefs to myself read every review, it is a real pleasure to see a long well thought out review . I'm glad you got the little card from me welcoming you to the hotel, I like to try to say hello when I can. Please come back soon and enjoy the hotel again.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. The room was beautiful and impeccably clean - but the staff really set the tone. They were all incredibly warm, friendly and accommodating. The location is great - in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood about 5 minutes walk from the old city. Perfect location for us - away from the tourist traps but close to everything. We wished we were staying longer -and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello Kath610
A hidden gem really sums up our hotel, hidden away in the now oh so trendy Stockbridge . It really was a pleasure looking after you . Thank you for your kind words about the team here at Nira, we aim to deliver a great guest experience when ever possible. I look forward to welcoming you both back soon.
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

This was our our second stay staff were really friendly and would go out of their way to make you feel welcome and do anything for us, Ordered room service and the food was gorgeous. The hotel and the suite we stayed in was clean and modern not one thing to complain about! It's only a short walk from the centre, will be staying again in the future without a doubt well worth the money we paid

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hello StephanieL
Nice little review, short and sweet but does what it says on the tin. Thank you for posting after you stayed , we love to read the great comments . Return guests comments mean more as it suggests we are getting it right over and over. I hope you become a Nira regular, I look forward to welcoming you back.
Denver, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed here for 3 days in April 2014. Let me say right away that the staff in the hotel are excellent, friendly and helpful in every way. Five stars for them. The hotel however is what it is - a Grade 2 listed building that has restrictions on what can be done to the interior. While the decor is very nice the hotel has some problems. I was given a single room on the top floor and, while the views were very nice, there is no elevator and the stairs are rather steep. This may sound strange but I had just spent a week doing some serious hiking in the Outer Hebrides and my legs were shot, so climbing the stairs was not ideal. How I wished for that elevator! Also, being on the top floor, water pressure was poor, the jacuzzi tub jets did not work and the rainforest shower was so weak that it was unusable so I had to run the tub for about 20-25 minutes to clean up.
Reception is rather narrow and those coming in and going out have to make way for each other.
I made a reservation to eat at Blackwoods Grill one night but the reservation never made it through to the restaurant so I had to be accommodated as a "last minute" arrival (maybe only 4 stars for the staff). The wine list is very poor. My glass of Merlot was as cheap as it gets. I still find it hard to understand why a country that sits next to France struggles so badly with the concept of good wine. I was told that the hotel was cognizant of the wine situation and that improvements were coming.
Location is very good for this hotel. It is in a quiet high quality area only a few minutes walk from High Street, Princes Street etc and close to the Botanic Gardens. It was nice just to walk around the neighborhood and it reinforced my view that Edinburgh would be a nice city to live in. All in all, I gave the hotel 3 out of 5 stars but I understand that, as a listed building, some things are beyond the control of the owners. I think that a lower floor and larger room would be the way to go here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Well Diabaig.
What do we have here ?. A 3 star review? For Nira Caledonia.? We were all in shock this morning.
Let's address the "elevator" situation since you refer to it a few times. We would LOVE a elevator and trust me after carrying bags up and down all day long our poor conceriege pray for it, but alas as you state we are a listed building and thus it's just not possible, on the plus side our porters and conceriege have great calf muscles ... Thank you for taking the time to mention that all the staff were great, ill pass this on to them all personally . It might be worth noting that we send our a pre arrival email to all guests so if you specifically do not want to top floor room you could have requested this in advance , also we upgraded you as you had booked a single room but we thought to be nice since we were slow on the dates you stayed we gave you a petite double .
Now water presssue and your jacuzzi jets! Edinburgh has water issues, you are on the top floor and it's a listed building and it takes a little time for the water to travel from the pavement level to the top floor of any building , the jets in the tub itself only start working once they are covered in water, I guess tho never happened and thus no jets, but a quick call to reception would have had this explained and or we would have sent up a member of staff to assist.
Now the wine list,and the dreaded Merlot.. I guess it's down to taste as it one of our best selling wines, you did mention to a number of the team that you were a trained a sommelier and even recommended new wines for us to consider , these have been taken to our F&B Manager for his consideration as he to is a trained sommelier . I hope some of your ideas make the cut. All in you seemed to enjoy your time with us out with the minor issues mentioned as always we encourage any issues to be highlighted to us during any stay so we can assist and make better as reading about them on forums such as this retrospectively is difficult. I do hope you return and allow us the opportunity to show you a different stay, ( ground floor this time )

Been to Nira Caledonia? Share your experiences!