“Beautiful jacuzzi suit” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nira Caledonia

Save Saved
You added Nira Caledonia to your Saves list
Nira Caledonia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 - 10 Gloucester Place, Edinburgh EH3 6EF, Scotland (Formerly Number Ten Edinburgh) (New Town)   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary Drink
Ranked #10 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Beautiful jacuzzi suit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Location- was a 5 min walk into the new town. Around the hotel were lots of cafés, restraints & couple of pubs.

Hotel - the hotel was beautiful, we had a jacuzzi suite. There were a room with a sofa & tv, bedroom and separate jacuzzi room. Very big and everything you needed and more!!

Staff- very friendly, they were always there for anything you needed.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Aw1991wyork.
The title of your review says it all really. Sounds to me like you stayed in 1006, it's a great room with a huge Jacuzzi, to be honest all the jacuzzi suites are stunning, my favourite changes weekly.
Sounds to me like you had a great trip and a good stay. Thank you for taking the time to review us, it really makes all the hard work worth it.

438 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed here as an anniversary treat. We 'umed and arred 'about whether to choose the Nira, the George or the Scotsman. I am so glad that we chose the Nira - it was perfect.
We arrived late in the evening by cab. (about £25) The area is lovely, very quiet and classy. The hotel is set in amongst a row of town house buildings - like a mews and is in 2 seperate houses.
The receptionist was expecting us and immediately made us welcome and arranged for our luggage to be taken to our room. She personally walked us to our room (30 seconds away)which was on the first floor of the building next door but one. The outside of the hotel is lovely with an arch and fairy lights over both front doors. It looks very smart and well cared for.
Our luggage was delivered just a few minutes later.
Our room was lovely, double bed, TV, kettle and tea making supplies and a Nespresso machine with coffee pods. there were even Tunnocks tea cakes - what a lovley change from biscuits- a real treat, and caramel wafer bars. There is a fridge containing chargable mini bar drinks and snacks and also a bottle of fresh milk for you to use to make tea etc.The bathroom was spotless and lovely toiletries are provided - shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion . The lighting was good for putting on makeup and there was a shaver point and a magnifying mirror. There was plenty of hot water and fluffy white towels, bath robes and slippers.
A hairdryer is also provided and there was a large mirror in the main room. The ceilings are very high and the room felt light and airy..but still cosy. We slept really well, it was very quiet.
The staff at this hotel make the experience just perfect. Everyone was so genuinely lovely and always said hello when we passed any of them. We had several chats with the bar man, the waiter, the receptionist- in fact I think they all do a little of each job. Even the chef walked through a couple of times with his box of fresh veg, on his way to the kitchen, and gave us a smile and a hello. They are so eager to help and please- nothing is too much trouble.

When we had unpacked we noticed a handwritten note from the hotel manager welcoming us to the hotel and congratulating us on our anniversary - another personal touch - thank you.

The bar and restaurant are lovley - just big enough to be intimate and cosy. Both have a warm and special feel to them. of course it is the staff who really make it - they are in no way obtrusive but warm and friendly - we were offered a glass of pressecco , most welcome, and this arrived with a small selection of complimentary bar snacks.
We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening - we chose the 7 course tasting menu with accompanying wines - it was really special - just fabulous. Highlights were...well all of it really...book it, it's a great experience.
The breakfasts were hearty and tasty - we opted for the Full Scottish - certainly didn't go hungry - again the waiting staff are happy and helpful. So many 'morning' staff just grunt at you- not here - they are brilliant.
We would not hesitate to stay here again and recommend to everyone. There are no negatives.

Room Tip: Ax it is a listed building , they are all different and individual - I don't image there are any...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Hey JandY44.
Another review and another top mention for the famous Tunnocks tea cakes.. Oh and the team here at Nira, really great review, thank you for taking the time to post. All the team for housekeepers to maintenance to chefs to myself read every review, it is a real pleasure to see a long well thought out review . I'm glad you got the little card from me welcoming you to the hotel, I like to try to say hello when I can. Please come back soon and enjoy the hotel again.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I cannot say enough nice things about this hotel. The room was beautiful and impeccably clean - but the staff really set the tone. They were all incredibly warm, friendly and accommodating. The location is great - in a beautiful, quiet neighborhood about 5 minutes walk from the old city. Perfect location for us - away from the tourist traps but close to everything. We wished we were staying longer -and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Hello Kath610
A hidden gem really sums up our hotel, hidden away in the now oh so trendy Stockbridge . It really was a pleasure looking after you . Thank you for your kind words about the team here at Nira, we aim to deliver a great guest experience when ever possible. I look forward to welcoming you both back soon.
Middlesbrough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

This was our our second stay staff were really friendly and would go out of their way to make you feel welcome and do anything for us, Ordered room service and the food was gorgeous. The hotel and the suite we stayed in was clean and modern not one thing to complain about! It's only a short walk from the centre, will be staying again in the future without a doubt well worth the money we paid

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Hello StephanieL
Nice little review, short and sweet but does what it says on the tin. Thank you for posting after you stayed , we love to read the great comments . Return guests comments mean more as it suggests we are getting it right over and over. I hope you become a Nira regular, I look forward to welcoming you back.
Denver, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I stayed here for 3 days in April 2014. Let me say right away that the staff in the hotel are excellent, friendly and helpful in every way. Five stars for them. The hotel however is what it is - a Grade 2 listed building that has restrictions on what can be done to the interior. While the decor is very nice the hotel has some problems. I was given a single room on the top floor and, while the views were very nice, there is no elevator and the stairs are rather steep. This may sound strange but I had just spent a week doing some serious hiking in the Outer Hebrides and my legs were shot, so climbing the stairs was not ideal. How I wished for that elevator! Also, being on the top floor, water pressure was poor, the jacuzzi tub jets did not work and the rainforest shower was so weak that it was unusable so I had to run the tub for about 20-25 minutes to clean up.
Reception is rather narrow and those coming in and going out have to make way for each other.
I made a reservation to eat at Blackwoods Grill one night but the reservation never made it through to the restaurant so I had to be accommodated as a "last minute" arrival (maybe only 4 stars for the staff). The wine list is very poor. My glass of Merlot was as cheap as it gets. I still find it hard to understand why a country that sits next to France struggles so badly with the concept of good wine. I was told that the hotel was cognizant of the wine situation and that improvements were coming.
Location is very good for this hotel. It is in a quiet high quality area only a few minutes walk from High Street, Princes Street etc and close to the Botanic Gardens. It was nice just to walk around the neighborhood and it reinforced my view that Edinburgh would be a nice city to live in. All in all, I gave the hotel 3 out of 5 stars but I understand that, as a listed building, some things are beyond the control of the owners. I think that a lower floor and larger room would be the way to go here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Well Diabaig.
What do we have here ?. A 3 star review? For Nira Caledonia.? We were all in shock this morning.
Let's address the "elevator" situation since you refer to it a few times. We would LOVE a elevator and trust me after carrying bags up and down all day long our poor conceriege pray for it, but alas as you state we are a listed building and thus it's just not possible, on the plus side our porters and conceriege have great calf muscles ... Thank you for taking the time to mention that all the staff were great, ill pass this on to them all personally . It might be worth noting that we send our a pre arrival email to all guests so if you specifically do not want to top floor room you could have requested this in advance , also we upgraded you as you had booked a single room but we thought to be nice since we were slow on the dates you stayed we gave you a petite double .
Now water presssue and your jacuzzi jets! Edinburgh has water issues, you are on the top floor and it's a listed building and it takes a little time for the water to travel from the pavement level to the top floor of any building , the jets in the tub itself only start working once they are covered in water, I guess tho never happened and thus no jets, but a quick call to reception would have had this explained and or we would have sent up a member of staff to assist.
Now the wine list,and the dreaded Merlot.. I guess it's down to taste as it one of our best selling wines, you did mention to a number of the team that you were a trained a sommelier and even recommended new wines for us to consider , these have been taken to our F&B Manager for his consideration as he to is a trained sommelier . I hope some of your ideas make the cut. All in you seemed to enjoy your time with us out with the minor issues mentioned as always we encourage any issues to be highlighted to us during any stay so we can assist and make better as reading about them on forums such as this retrospectively is difficult. I do hope you return and allow us the opportunity to show you a different stay, ( ground floor this time )
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Visited for family anniversary and was not disappointed. Food excellent and great service once again. Steaks are delicious. Thanks to David and Marec for their hospitality. Looking forward to returning in near future.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Hey derek1975
Thanks for posting another review, most guests don't have the time .
The secret to our fabulous steaks is the Josper oven and our trademarked secret spice mix that marinades them. I've spoken to Chef and Marek and passed on your comments to them both, we look forward to seeing you again soon
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

The warm welcome on arrival set the tone for a great time at Nira Caledonia. The staff were all enthusiastic with attention to detail and a genuine interest in their guests being qualities that shone through again and again.

Beautifully decorated the interior does not disappoint with the Blackwood's Bar & Grill a highlight - we had decided to have Sunday Lunch and the warm intimate atmosphere made us feel like we were at home with friends and not in a busy restaurant. Our waiter David was very attentive and showed a great sense of humour particularly with what my daughter calls my embarassing "dad" jokes. A nice touch when the rest of the party had wine my irn bru was brought out in a wine cooler as to not make me feel left out.

The Head Chef popped out to say Hello which I thought was a really nice touch and the General Manager Rory even took time out of his day to chat with us for a little while which again shows the level of interest in their guests.

I'd definitely return and have recommended to friends and family.

Room Tip: Don't miss out on the amazing food at their restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Hello JimKY11
It was great meeting you and your party on the Sunday you all had lunch. The F&B team really enjoyed looking after you all, especially David ( BanterPants as he is known here) . Our Sunday lunch is perfect for those days you just can't face cooking yourself, I'm chuffed you all had a good time. Our new summer menu just went live this week, so come back soon and try it,

Been to Nira Caledonia? Share your experiences!