We stayed here as an anniversary treat. We 'umed and arred 'about whether to choose the Nira, the George or the Scotsman. I am so glad that we chose the Nira - it was perfect.
We arrived late in the evening by cab. (about £25) The area is lovely, very quiet and classy. The hotel is set in amongst a row of town house buildings - like a mews and is in 2 seperate houses.
The receptionist was expecting us and immediately made us welcome and arranged for our luggage to be taken to our room. She personally walked us to our room (30 seconds away)which was on the first floor of the building next door but one. The outside of the hotel is lovely with an arch and fairy lights over both front doors. It looks very smart and well cared for.
Our luggage was delivered just a few minutes later.
Our room was lovely, double bed, TV, kettle and tea making supplies and a Nespresso machine with coffee pods. there were even Tunnocks tea cakes - what a lovley change from biscuits- a real treat, and caramel wafer bars. There is a fridge containing chargable mini bar drinks and snacks and also a bottle of fresh milk for you to use to make tea etc.The bathroom was spotless and lovely toiletries are provided - shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and body lotion . The lighting was good for putting on makeup and there was a shaver point and a magnifying mirror. There was plenty of hot water and fluffy white towels, bath robes and slippers.
A hairdryer is also provided and there was a large mirror in the main room. The ceilings are very high and the room felt light and airy..but still cosy. We slept really well, it was very quiet.
The staff at this hotel make the experience just perfect. Everyone was so genuinely lovely and always said hello when we passed any of them. We had several chats with the bar man, the waiter, the receptionist- in fact I think they all do a little of each job. Even the chef walked through a couple of times with his box of fresh veg, on his way to the kitchen, and gave us a smile and a hello. They are so eager to help and please- nothing is too much trouble.
When we had unpacked we noticed a handwritten note from the hotel manager welcoming us to the hotel and congratulating us on our anniversary - another personal touch - thank you.
The bar and restaurant are lovley - just big enough to be intimate and cosy. Both have a warm and special feel to them. of course it is the staff who really make it - they are in no way obtrusive but warm and friendly - we were offered a glass of pressecco , most welcome, and this arrived with a small selection of complimentary bar snacks.
We ate in the restaurant on the Saturday evening - we chose the 7 course tasting menu with accompanying wines - it was really special - just fabulous. Highlights were...well all of it really...book it, it's a great experience.
The breakfasts were hearty and tasty - we opted for the Full Scottish - certainly didn't go hungry - again the waiting staff are happy and helpful. So many 'morning' staff just grunt at you- not here - they are brilliant.
We would not hesitate to stay here again and recommend to everyone. There are no negatives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nira Caledonia is surrounded by the cobbled streets and Georgian elegance of New Town, a short stroll from Princes Street, Nira Caledonia is a central yet peaceful Edinburgh retreat. Amid the plush pelmets, rich textures and original cornices you'll find flat-screen televisions, Nespresso coffee machines, complimentary Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations. You'll find warm, heartfelt service and a cool, quirky style. Each of our sumptuous rooms and suites is unique, with its own opulent character. Many have vast floor-to-ceiling sash windows, others open out onto a private garden and some feature a relaxing Jacuzzi. All have new ultra-comfortable beds and pillows of goose feather and down. As a protected Grade A building we don't have a lift, but our porters are always on hand and we offer 24-hour room service. The cuisine at our restaurant is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland and with over 25 Scotch whiskey blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavours. With a friendly touch - and a touch of theatre - we welcome independent-minded travellers who prefer to go their own way. Come our way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, Otel, HotelsClick, Agoda, EasyToBook, Hotel.de, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your Nira Caledonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nira Caledonia Hotel Edinburgh
- Number 10 Edinburgh
- Number 10 Hotel Edinburgh
- Number Ten Edinburgh
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh, Scotland