“Secluded, luxurious hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nira Caledonia

You added Nira Caledonia to your Saves list
Nira Caledonia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 - 10 Gloucester Place, Edinburgh EH3 6EF, Scotland (Formerly Number Ten Edinburgh) (New Town)   |
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Cambridge
“Secluded, luxurious hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed at the Nira Caledonia for a weekend break and after a slightly frazzling train journey was glad to be shown to our lovely ground floor suite with it's own garden. Lots of nice touches: a welcome glass of bubbly on arrival, Nespresso machine, DAB radio and, my favourite -Tunnocks teacakes instead of ubiquitous Scottish shortbread. The rooms are spotless and the beds huge and comfortable. Good breakfast and a really serene location in a lovely quiet street. We'll be back. Next time I hope it's a jacuzzi suite.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Well Kwillsher.
Another review , another mention for the famous Tunnocks tea cakes. We were bored of the "standard hotel offering" so the lovely Sue here at the hotel added the Tea cakes and Caramel wafers. They are holding their own on tripadvisor and we expect them to start up their own review page soon due to the sheer amount of mentions. They are a little way of showing just how we differ from the "standard chain hotel" . Thank you for reviewing Nira Caledonia, I look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Greek first
Millport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were gifted a 2 night stay in this hotel and it was a glorious surprise.
It is a listed building and some of the rooms are in the building next door.
Our bags were taken to our room which was a welcome gesture as there is no lift
We were upgraded to a beautiful suite which had an enormous jacuzzi bath in the middle of the room and also a luxurious, separate bathroom
The room was very well appointed with a super-comfy bed, Nespresso machine, digital radio, fridge, safe, huge TV, sofa, hair dryer, fluffy bathrobes and slippers. We appreciated the Tunnocks tea cake and caramel wafer biscuit left on the tea tray each day. Lovely touch.
We dined in the restaurant one night and tasted THE best steak ever (cooked on their Josper grill)
The staff were friendly, helpful but also obtrusive. The perfect combination.
As we were leaving, we met the Manager who took the time to show us another suite and gave us an explanation as to why there weren't more power points in our room (our only complaint). Apparently it's because the hotel is a listed building and planning laws are stringent.
We would love to have stayed longer, but I doubt that this will be our last visit to this hotel. In fact we have already recommended it to friends.

Room Tip: It is a quiet area, so no noisy rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Hello AngelaG
It's funny our Tunnocks tea cakes get more mentions than anything else on this forum.So glad you enjoyed them. The room your stayed in was 1011 , recently refurbished Jacuzzi suite and it really is stunning. Thanks for mentioning our Josper oven, the steaks it produces really are amazing, it sounds like you enjoyed your whole stay. It was really nice to meet you both and give you a chance to see some other rooms within the hotel. Do come back soon, remember to book direct.
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here this week for a short two night break with my partner for a much ended escape and after researching the web and reviews we decided on Nira Caledonia and we were so glad we did.

This was my partners first time in Edinburgh but my third and we absolutely loved the hotel. We stayed in a jacuzzi suite, room 1003, and it was out of this world. The room was very tastefully decorated, spotlessly clean and had everything we could have asked for or needed. The bed was huge and very comfortable, iPod and DAB radio docking station was a welcome accessory, the Nespresso machine a nice surprise and the multifunction shower in the bathroom was a stellar experience. The complimentary evening turndown was a nice touch.

Breakfast in the restaurant was perfectly cooked and tasty with a great selection of food for everyone's taste on offer. We also dined in on our second night and were thankful we did. The food was up there with the best we've had. I had the fillet steak for my main and my partner had the chicken. We were sorry we couldn't fit in desert but were stuffed after the entrees, starters and mains. It really was beautiful.

The staff were always impeccable during our stay from the receptionists, to the night porter, the bar staff and manager. We were made to feel like VIPs on several occasions. Particular mention to the chef who had a nice chat with us at the end of his shift on Monday evening, George the bar man/waiter who served us in the restaurant for our dinner and Rory the manager who always took time to come speak to us, even when off duty, and make us feel special.

If and when I return to Edinburgh I will certainly be returning to Nira Caledonia.

It's a 5 star, centrally located gem.

Room Tip: If you're pocket can afford it book a jacuzzi suite and definitely dine in at some stage.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Dear JamesB
I am reading this review to the whole team at our daily morning meeting, everyone remembers yourself and your partner , I think we all spoke to you both at some point. It's such a pleasure to look after guests who loved to be looked after and having you with us this week past is point and case. 1003 is an amazing room as you say and firm favourite with us all here since it's recent refurbishment. We aim to make every guest feel VIP and you seem to have had that experience so we are achieving our goal. I hope you enjoyed the G&T I sent you both at dinner? Thank you for name checking some of the team, they love seeing their names up in lights and a mention for myself is always very humbling. I look forward to you coming to stay again, remember to book direct!
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Superb small hotel for romantic getaway. Clean, comfortable, personable, fantastic breakfast including full Scottish breakfast on choice every morning, Nespresso coffee machine in the bedroom, turn down service if wanted, comfortable breakfast dining experience and really helpful and friendly staff, free umbrellas to use ..... every little detail thought of, great rooms, well styled and spacious. Super 3 night stay !

Hello NJBond.
What more does a review have to say? The title of you're review really says it all. Thank you for posting after you're recent stay. We really try to be that little bit different and all the team read the review today and it put smiles on their faces . We are truly a boutique hotel with personal service and I am delighted you experienced just that. I look forward to welcoming you back to Nira Caledonia.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I've tried a number of hotels in Edinburgh to stay for both business and leisure - Nira Caledonia tops them all! The individuality and warmth that this hotel, and the staff offer, is second to none. Our room(s) offered wonderful comfort, luxury furnishings and all of the modcons needed to make a stay as memorable as it can be. The staff cannot be more helpful, and if you're lucky enough to stay more than once, will endeavour to repeat (if not exceed) your previous experience. The restaurant offers a great range of Scottish fayre, and steaks that I would say beats many other, more expensive, restaurants. The breakfast...... needs to be enjoyed and sets a guest up for the day ahead! A place I will come back to time and time again.

Room Tip: None - each room is wonderful
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Hello JonB
What a great review, home from home for our business guests is the idea, we know its hard to find somewhere that gives personal attention with amazing service but we believe Nira Caledonia is as close to home as you can get. I do hope you enjoyed your night here on the 14th feb and that the "love menu" complete with its 7 courses was good. I had a good chat with you during dinner service and send you a small bottle of our Nira own branded whiskey. I hope to welcome you back soon .
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

From the moment my date and I arrived at the hotel we were made to feel very special.

All the staff were warm, friendly and very helpful. Our room was compact and luxurious. The hotel has the perfect balance of modern touches with old fashioned style.

The bathroom in room 02 was particularity impressive with a funky shower and jet bath combo.

Our dinner in Blackwood's Bar & Grill was something special. The food, service and general ambiance were amazing. My lobster starter was delicious and the steak main was cooked to perfection.

After dinner the chef even came out to speak to us. It's small touches like this that make a place like Nira Caledonia stand out.

I shall be telling all my friends about this amazing hotel and will definitely be returning in the future.

The only one tiny, small, minuscule thing I'd ask to be different on my next visit is for Eggs Benedict to be on the breakfast menu.......... (however as I now think about it if I'd ask for them the staff probably would of gone out there way to make it happen, that's the sort of place it is)

Thanks so much for making our weekend feel so special.

Dear JKW100
Just reading the review you posted makes me smile, we are aiming to deliver a personal experience combined with a boutique hotel ambiance. Sounds to me like you loved your stay with us. Room 602, is a quirky room and since refurb is referred to as " the kitten pillow room" due to its cool cushions. Next time you stay, we will do you Eggs Benedict, no problem at all, please just ask.
Thank you for taking the time to after your stay to post such a great review, it makes our day to read these and the team get a real buzz. Please come back soon, we look forward to looking after you,
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

My husband booked this hotel for my birthday, and we stayed for 4 nights. Upon arrival the gentleman on reception was extremely helpful and showed us up to our lovely room (606) on the 2nd floor. We had lovely views of the Stockbridge area of Edinburgh. What more could we ask for?! - a comfy bed, well equipped bathroom, large TV, iPod dock/DAB radio and a Nespresso machine, which was restocked with coffee pods every day!
We had our dinner in the Blackwood restaurant on the first night and were treated like royalty! Very personal and attentive service from our waiter, Rolands, who brought us some lovely bubbly for my birthday while we looked at the menu. We chose the rib-eye steak, which is pretty much the house speciality, cooked in a Josper oven - just beautiful, and seriously the best steaks we've ever had! While we waited for our meals we were brought some delicious smoked trout and caviar - complements of the chef.
All the staff were absolutely fantastic, and we couldn't fault a single one of them. The bar staff (David and the other gentleman, whose name I can't remember - sorry!) were very friendly and accommodating, and even the manager came over to say hello and see how our stay was.
This lovely hotel is a hidden treasure and we will definitely return again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
RoryGM, General Manager at Nira Caledonia, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
MissSparklesx. I think your review title says it all really, thank you for taking the time to post after your recent stay with us, so many guests don't. 606 is a stunning little room, I love the accent wall that we added in our recent refurbishment, it highlights just how we differ from a standard chain hotel, and we like to think quirky is cool. Roland's is one of our restaurant and he loves to put on his own special show for guests. I told him today he got a mention and he was very excited and name checking David seems to becoming the norm , he newly joined our team but is getting mentions almost weekly on this forum. Again thank you, it means a lot to the team to see their name in lights. I look forward to seeing you on your next stay at Nira Caledonia, and remember to book direct,

Been to Nira Caledonia? Share your experiences!