“Very comfortable stay!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Nira Caledonia

You added Nira Caledonia to your Saves list
Nira Caledonia
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 - 10 Gloucester Place, Edinburgh EH3 6EF, Scotland (Formerly Number Ten Edinburgh) (Stockbridge & Dean Village)   |
Ranked #6 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

Me and my husband decided to visit edinburgh coz inwanted to see the castles and other historical places there. We wanted to stay in a victorian kind of a place on our holiday coz contemporary architecture is all so common.
Nira caledonia was just perfect. It has the feel of old world with the comfort of modern days. Our room was nice and big, but very cozy. We got a beautiful view from the window. we had got an upgrade to a room with jacuzzi fitted bathroom and it was awesome! The staff were very nice and friendly, and were ready to help wherever possible. The breakfast was very good as well with loads of variety and me and my husband would stuff ourselves every morning! Even the food from the bar/restaurant was quite good, but i would sure prefer if they increased the choices on their menu. Although its not a big deal coz theres too many restaurants around it at walking distance.
I would definitely recommend the hotel, especially to couples as it is very cozy and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
  • Greek first
Richmond, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I stayed at the Nira Calendonia for two nights for my birthday weekend, my welcome was curt and polite but not particularly friendly or unfriendly. My room was in the basement of the second building, the receptionist showed me to my room and carried my bag which was nice. My room was nicely decorated- wood floor, single bed, desk & chair, wardrobe and private bathroom- all of which were clean. After maybe two minutes in my room there was a knock on the door and a complimentary glass of champagne arrived (my birthday!) that scored them some extra points! I went out for dinner then returned to my room, showered and went to bed but I didn't sleep- from 11 pm- 4 am there was constant noise, if it wasn't a door being slammed it was people talking, people walking above my floor- it was a constant borage of noise, I think I finally slept around 5 am and got up at 9! Princes street is a stones throw away which in short means all the attractions are very close at hand. Edinburgh castle is wonderful, if you are a walker Arthur's seat is a must, the bus tours are excellent, because it is close to Christmas there is a wonderful market in Princes street gardens, there are kilted men playing bag pipes all over the place (which was so exciting to see!), there is an abundance of things to see and do.
My second night at Nira Caledonia was worse than the first, with some people coming in at around 5am and to make it worse a member of staff had to help someone get into their room- they spoke loudly in the hallway and then the member of staff sounded like he stamped across the upper hallway then, of course, slammed the door shut behind himself! Then that morning someone propped open the emergency exit and stomped in and out from 6am until about 8!
As far goes the location, room decor, cleanliness and general hotel, I would give the Nira Caledonia 10 out of 10 but the walls are paper thin and no one realises that people are trying to sleep, all this said I would stay again but in a different room

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor, the basement is dark and noisy
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I don't often write about 5-star stays because I feel they speak for themselves - at least that is the experience I've had in the past. But I feel compelled to put a few flags out there for someone who thinks this hotel may offer exceptional treatment.

I forewarn that though this is a charming hotel to extend your stay, I would not pay what I had if I had known better. I stayed in the Scott's Suite and I would unfortunately advise against this room. It happens to be right underneath the kitchen, so not only did we hear the bass of music until 1am, we then heard footsteps above our room from around 3am onwards. I may be sketchy on the times, but it was early. Too early. I understand the kitchen needs to prepare, but for what you pay, you should be able to sleep in peace. My fiancé was not feeling well, this was supposed to be a peaceful stay and it was not because of this.

The suite at first appearance is lovely. The welcome reception we had, I believe her name was Katie, was warming and incredibly sweet. They left a hand-written note welcoming us, a very nice touch. Yes, in this suite you do get the gardens outside your door and it's charming. But do take note that another suite is next to you, so if you go outside and happen to turn around, you can well see into the suite next to you. May not bother some, but it alarmed me. I wouldn't exactly step out in my robe due to that lack of privacy. We also noticed rips in the wallpaper and the carpet needs replacing. On a good note the bed was lovely and comfortable and the bathroom is luxurious and clean. The touches for a turndown is peaceful to come back to after a long day of walking around the city.

Yes, there is the element of no elevator, which I knew and expected. But when we left, no one offered to help take up our luggage. Additionally the front desk staff was indifferent to us. My fiancé would ask a question or make a sweet comment and at no time did the gentleman smile at him or acknowledge him. The nicest of the staff was in the kitchen, and the wait staff. It was the wait staff who offered to help with our luggage, not the men at reception. I felt strange taking him up on his assistance, but he was more than willing. Such a nice man. We had also asked the evening staff the night before about a pub that is literally a five minute walk from the Nira Caledonia in Stockbridge. Neither of them knew how to get there and gave us a cold shoulder.

I will agree with others that the breakfast was good and fresh. And yes, this hotel is perfectly located to all attractions. A ten minute walk to the Old Town, and the New Town is at your doorstep.

This is my third time back to Edinburgh and unfortunately I did feel disappointed with our stay here. For the price I would stay at other 5-stars. So again, I don't advise against staying here, I just advise to be aware. They say this is a 5-star. I've stayed at 4-star boutique hotels in London which surpass what you get here.

Finally, and I have to say it - and I know that there may be a rebuttal on the hotel's response to this - I won't be surprised. But I had left, my fault entirely, a bag filled with toiletries and a pair of $400 reading glasses, amongst other things. The bag was designer. I went straight from the hotel to the airport and realized at the airport I did not have it in my purse. I left it in the suite. I called the hotel about 45 minutes after we left and explained that I left it, clearly offering to pay all expenses to get it back to me. The man who answered the phone went down to the suite and said he couldn't find it, but that the maid was cleaning the suite. I followed up with an email when I got back to the states, as I had heard nothing either way. I was told that it just wasn't found. They did offer apologies, but that's the end of it. How can something be missing within 45 minutes. And, I know it was there because it was one of the last things I wanted to put in my purse before heading to the airport. I knew where I had approximately left it. I understand that they can only do so much and if they don't' see it, fine. But - where did it go. I'm out over $500 on the loss. Again, my fault and lesson learned, but really - 45 minutes later… nowhere to be seen? Perhaps it was an honest mistake and it was thrown out on accident. I don't know what to think of this, and feel very conflicted about my rating of this hotel because of it.

Sadly, even though there are charming points to this hotel, I won't be returning here.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

What made it for us was the staff. Their ability to accommodate all requests (and there were a few) with cheeriness and professionalism was excellent. We had a wonderful stay. Our room was beautiful - (enjoyed the view over the traditional Edinburgh chimneys to the hills and the squirrel in the garden!) - but very small and tall (a bit weird!) Teeney bathroom so the 'power shower' with jets didn't really have a chance to give full effect (and soaked the bathroom). Breakfast was very tasty with good choice. Decor was original and it works! Six of us (3 couples) stayed that weekend and apparently they do have larger rooms than ours!

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of house - lovely Edinburgh view. But it was very small (standard double ro...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

i just love the nira caledonia hotel
we came across it when we had checked into another hotel and really were not happy
i looked on booking.com and came across by chance
i was taken by surprise when we arrived.....wowwwww!!!!stunning
and they have a hotel policy that upgrades are available whenever possible!!!
luxury philippe starck bathrooms
hugeeeeeee beds and we had a jacuzzi..some of the suites even have there own little gardens
breakfast was beautiful and the service was very good
all in all an amazing find
will be returning for our third visit on sunday

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay, the hotel is very nice inside and out, free parking on a weekend! Staff very friendly, great breakfast, only downside if being picky was the layout of the shower/wet room very cramped, overall great stay!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We received a Room Upgrade to a Suite with a Jacuzzi Bath as we were celebrating our Wedding Anniversary. Room 1003 is a basement room with patio doors onto a pretty garden (shared with next door room). Décor is to high standard. Breakfast was cooked to order - we were impressed with the food. Felt very relaxed here - we will want to return.

Why not 5 stars? There were a few 'niggles' - it took me 40 minutes driving round to find a parking spot (I asked the hotel for a one hour extension to check-out to compensate - this was agreed without question); there was no full length hanging space in the room - we had nowhere to hang our coats; the jacuzzi would benefit from having printed instructions on how to operate it.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Nira Caledonia? Share your experiences!