My wife and I were treated to a Wowcher stay at the Nira Caledonia and whilst everything was fine we were both disapointed. The Petite Double, was extremely Petite, the on-suite wet room looked stunning until you needed the toilet and found you had to squeeze yourself in between the sink and the toilet, and neither of us are large.
We expected a bottle of Chapagne on arrival, we did get Champagne in a bottle but it was a half-bottle. The coffee, tea and biscuits were lovely, but not replenished and we needed to send down for milk. There was only one pair of slippers, the toilet roll was used up and because there was no spare we had to ring down for one.
At the evening meal we were surprised to find that we were restricted to a Wowcher menue of two choices only, Salmon or Chicken, however, we did enjoy it.
Breakfast was like a Curates egg (good in parts), the layout of the dining room made getting to the buffet difficult if more than three people were there at the same time. The service, was chaotic and unless you grabbed a passing membr staff you could wait for an age to order. On one day the breakfast items were luke warm to cold on the other some were hot and others cold, On the pluss side the selection on offer was good and all the staff were friendly.
Being a listed building, means that scope for change is restricted, it also means no swimmiming pool etc. and a small and cramped reception area.
All in all, it was a nice gift but not the luxurious break intended. We have stayed in several hotels in Edinburgh previously and this one, even at a discounted price would not be our choice again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nira Caledonia is surrounded by the cobbled streets and Georgian elegance of New Town, a short stroll from Princes Street, Nira Caledonia is a central yet peaceful Edinburgh retreat. Amid the plush pelmets, rich textures and original cornices you'll find flat-screen televisions, Nespresso coffee machines, complimentary Wi-Fi and iPod docking stations. You'll find warm, heartfelt service and a cool, quirky style. Each of our sumptuous rooms and suites is unique, with its own opulent character. Many have vast floor-to-ceiling sash windows, others open out onto a private garden and some feature a relaxing Jacuzzi. All have new ultra-comfortable beds and pillows of goose feather and down. As a protected Grade A building we don't have a lift, but our porters are always on hand and we offer 24-hour room service. The cuisine at our restaurant is natural, fresh and often organic, with ingredients farmed, caught, raised or bred in Scotland and with over 25 Scotch whiskey blends and single malts, our bar also focuses on local flavours. With a friendly touch - and a touch of theatre - we welcome independent-minded travellers who prefer to go their own way. Come our way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, Priceline, BookIt.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your Nira Caledonia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nira Caledonia Hotel Edinburgh
- Number 10 Edinburgh
- Number 10 Hotel Edinburgh
- Number Ten Edinburgh
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh, Scotland