“Fantastic location, cool style.” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   94 - 96 Grassmarket, Edinburgh EH1 2JR, Scotland   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Direct - Save 10%
Ranked #39 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Fantastic location, cool style.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We've thoroughly enjoyed our visit at the Grassmarket. It is NOT your typical hotel... More eclectic style and set-up, but it's fun! Breakfast in the adjoining (and connected) pub next door is good, with some variety, which is nice by the end of a 2 week trip. Location is hard to beat. Turned in the car before we arrived and have been able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. We'll come back when we're back in town!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi Lizard,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your stay with us :-)

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our fun and quirky style, and I am glad that you had a great time with us.

Rachel Duff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Greek first
belfast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Arrived early for check in and left our cases. This was fine except they had no baggage receipts. We returned later and were give room key card, This did not work 3 times after being re-programmed. Eventually we required a standard room key which also didn't work!!! . On all these occasions no-one came up to the room to assist.
The room itself maybe 'quirky' but small and the blind was pulled purposely as our outlook was the back yard.
We were bed and breakfast which was served next door in Biddy Mulligan's Bar. We gave ourselves an hour for Breakfast as we were getting a train. We ordered tea which had to be re- ordered as the first waitress forgot and we got it after 15 minutes. We ordered breakfast and waited a further 35 minutes BEFORE GIVING UP. . i spoke to the manager who like the rest of his staff just looked at me blankly and shrugged his shoulders.
I related what had happened to the hotel receptionist who also ignored the issue and charged us for a breakfast we did not get !!
Thankfully we were only staying one night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Walter,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay with us; we appreciate all the feedback we receive from our guests.

I am sorry to hear that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, and please let me assure you that the experience you have described is not one I wish my guests to have.
Firstly, let me apologise for the issues with the keycard for your room, and I am shocked that the receptionist on duty did not offer you any further assistance with this matter. I have reiterated the importance of this to my team, and I am disappointed that they did not step up on this occasion. I am equally shocked that they were not more helpful upon check out, and I would ask that you contact me directly at the hotel (Grassmarket@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk) in order to refund the erroneous breakfast charge.

I am deeply distressed by your breakfast experience at Biddy Mulligans and I will be addressing this directly with the General Manager of the bar.

I am sorry that we did not get a chance to resolve this in person during your stay, and I would like to thank you again for your comments.

Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

This is a very smart hotel. The decor is funky and still, essentially Scottish. The goodies are very good.
It was a reasonable price for such a great location but came without breakfast (cost of breakfast was too, too much) However, one rather major girn - a light in my room was flickering and sparking; the light was INSIDE the shower stall. I mentioned it twice, not as an inconvenience but as a DANGER. Nothing was done in the two days I spent there.
The attached Biddy Mulligans bar & restaurant is good - just too dear for breaking your fast.

Room Tip: Higher the floor the more light will get in as it is set in a traditional Edinburgh close, back room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Hi Siusaidh,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your room and our unusual Scottish décor! I am sorry to hear of the delay it took to fix the light in your shower room (it turned out to be a faulty bulb) and I had instructed the reception team to offer to move you rooms; I can only apologise that this message was not conveyed to you during your stay.

With Biddy Mulligans having recently reopened, we appreciate all comments on the breakfast offering and I have passed yours onto their management team.

Thank you again for your comments, and we do hope to see you again on your return to
Edinburgh!

Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We parked in the Street and went inside to check in and asked if the car would be ok whilst we did this, to which the answer was yes.

On booking in the Lady at the desk told us that Expedia had cancelled our 2 rooms for 2 nights and they would FIT us in for one night but could not guarantee the following night?

When we asked how this could possibly be as we had already paid for 2 rooms for 2 nights?

The lady was very rude and said she doesn't know why Expedia had cancelled our rooms but they had.

We asked where we could park the hire car and was told in the street or at the public car park but could not give us directions.

When we went back out to park the car we found a 60 pound parking fine on the car.

We went up to the room and rang Expedia to ask what was going on as we had already paid for the 2 rooms. We were told that you did not cancel them and promptly rang the Hotel to sort it out.

We went back to the desk and they told us they had miraculously found our reservation, with no apology. although they offered to pay the parking fine, which I hope they honour. The lady was very rude and really didn't care about how we felt.

It caused us a lot of stress at the time as we had just come from a long haul flight and did not need the rudeness of the lady at the desk.

The Hotel was a mess with the corridors full of laundry, vacuum cleaners and rubbish.

I would never recommend or stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Holidaze,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us, we appreciate all feedback we receive.

I can only apologise for the confusion that arose during your check-in, and I understand how frustrating and stressful you found it to be. Due to a glitch in the booking system your reservations were registered as cancelled by the agent which, after allocating your party rooms and contacting the agent directly, then transpired not to be the case. I am sorry you found the receptionist on duty to be rude and unhelpful, please let me assure you that this is not the standard of customer service I expect from my staff and I will be discussing it fully with her and taking the appropriate action.

I would also like to apologise for the confusion that has arisen surrounding the parking; we recommend that guests park in the pay & display bays on the street or in the secure NCP carpark located a 5 minute walk away, unfortunately there are no free parking facilities located in this area of Edinburgh. I can assure you that your £20 parking ticket was paid for on the day as I did so personally from my own account when it was brought to my attention.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope you still enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in a double room. We really loved the way it was set up; they made excellent use of the space. The TV was on the wall at the bottom of the bed and there was a window at the other end. The location could not have been better. We had a great meal next door at Maggie Dickson's and it was not a long distance to make our way to after the Literary Pub Tour.

• Stayed June 2013
Hi MaryLouise,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your stay with us :-)

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed the set-up and décor of your room; we do try to make best use of the space available in our quirky building!

I am glad to hear you made use of our fantastic location and you enjoyed your stay in Edinburgh.

Rachel & The Grassmarket Hotel Team
Swiftwater, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

The Grassmarket Hotel is a fun place. I stayed there on two separate occasions on the same trip. It is funky and the management has a sense of humor with funny sayings posted in unexpected locations. The stay wasn't perfect; there were a few things wrong with the room, and housekeeping didn't always supply enough of everything needed (TP), but it wasn't serious enough to give the place a bad review. There are ample pubs and restaurants wthin steps of the hotel. Bottom line is: I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are there on a weekend, request a quiet room in the back. The neighborhood is a hotspot for y...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Hi LiveToTravel,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us!

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed both your stays with us, and would be happy to come back again :-)

Thank you for bringing the issues with your room to my attention, and I will make sure to address them with the housekeeping team.

Rachel & The Grassmarket Team
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is right in the centre of Edinburgh you do not need to have a car as so easy to walk to everywhere. The hotel is different from usual city hotels very quirky and a lovely experience. Bedrooms are very different and very clean well equiped. Have stayed here before and would recommend it

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Grassmarket Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi Evelyn,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at The Grassmarket Hotel.

It was a pleasure to have you back to stay again, and I do hope you enjoyed it just as much as the first time round!

I am so pleased to hear you enjoyed the quirky aspects of our place, and I am looking forward to seeing you again soon :-)

Rachel Duff

Been to Grassmarket Hotel? Share your experiences!