“Worst welcome ever.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Hostel

You added The Hostel to your Saves list
The Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   3 Clifton Terrace, Edinburgh EH12 5DR, Scotland (Formerly Westend Hostel)   |
Ranked #111 of 187 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Glasgow, Scotland
“Worst welcome ever.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I booked in advance to stay here for a single night, but on arrival I was told at reception that I couldn’t stay without approved photo ID and only a driving licence (which I don’t have) or my passport (which, as I was travelling within Scotland, I wasn’t carrying) would do. I actually had my booking confirmation with me, but this apparently wasn’t enough to prove I was me. I was told all this was owing owing to ‘security’. I was also told that these requirements were ‘plastered all over the website’.

In fact, in over 30 years of staying at hostels in the UK, I have never before been required to provide ID of this nature. And my booking confirmation, which carried a wide list of warnings to people staying (penalties for vomiting on the premises, etc) said nothing about this.

The reception desk is adjacent to a busy communal area, so inevitably I looked like a criminal, vagrant or some other undesirable as I was refused admission and had to creep out again. A humiliating experience.

Do not stay here.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Tula, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

So I found only one possitive thing in this hostel - low price. But for this price (66 pounds for 5 nights) I had bed in very small room. Also toilets and showers was awful! Fortunately I just slept there, but sometimes it was difficult because of neighbors.
So let's count. They offer one night in 16-beds room for 11£ = 176£ from one small room (apr. 18 sq.m), I would say it's bigger price even for 5-stars hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
cooma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

For the price I paid (almost 200 pounds for 4 nights) I expected something much better.
No sockets in rooms, wi fi was slow, too many beds squeezed into the rooms living little free space. The price would also lead you to believe many things would be included, but there were lots of hidden costs, and deposits had to be paid on almost all the "complimentary" services.
The lounge area was uninviting, however the patio area outside was pleasant and kitchen was good.
In the shower/bathrooms, it seemed there were not enough facilities for all staying.
This is budget accommodation minus the budget price tag.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Harlow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

The staff are ok, well apart from one. The location is good. The beds are ok. no sockets in rooms, Showers can get busy at the morning.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hostel for two nights as part of a stag party. Despite the fact they advertise as being happy to cater for stag and hen parties the manageress seemed unhappy to have us. She claimed we did not give her the full deposit even though we did and she did not give us a receipt to prove this. Her overall dedication to customer service was a joke and she made a big deal of saying £70 of the deposit she gave us back was from her own pocket when we checked out, then seemed surprised when we weren't appreciative. Aside from that the rest of the staff seemed friendly and helpful and the hostel itself is bright and clean although there are no power sockets in the rooms and the showers are very limited and a few were broken. All in all if it hadn't have been for the rude lady at reception it would have got passable marks

• Stayed April 2012
Brechin, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

so 5 of us decieded to go on a girls trip in the april holidays, on arrival, the system was down so we werent able to get our key cards from our room and were still awaiting sheet for our bedroom, we then asked reception, that we were going out for the night and how do we get back in, the receptionist said she'd stay up to let us in, but on returning back the lights were still on but we must of buzzed for 15 minuted solid until someone let us in, only to find the receptionist accompanied by a male friend and drunk!! the showers were not clean, the rooms had no sockets, and the rooms were so tiny. never again will we visit this hostel!!

Room Tip: please read trip advisor before you go :) we wish we did!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

The hostel costs quite a bit for a location that is 20 minutes out of town.
Four of my friends and I shared a 5 person room. There are no outlets in the rooms, which is not the most pleasant for people needing to charge electronics. Also, the five of us had four beds, one of which was a double, making it slightly awkward. Rooms were maintained pretty well and sheets were freshly cleaned, which was nice. Towels were available for rent and there was wifi in the building.
Kitchen was only open from 8am to 10 pm, making it difficult when we left early in the morning to get our food out of the fridge. The kitchen has two pretty nice stoves and an array of pots, pans, and utensils/china. No real free items though.
Bathrooms were small (three stalls, of which two had sinks, two sinks, three showers), and pretty crowded (I think about twenty people were sharing the bathroom?). The floor was usually wet, but it wasnt really dirty as some people have noted. I still wore shower shoes just in case.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Hostel? Share your experiences!