“Short stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #72 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Derby, United Kingdom
“Short stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

When we arrived we entered the car park and drove to the back of the building to park the car. It was clear that there were some refurbishment happening as there were plenty of workmen and vans about. We were early so left our car in the car park and ventured into the city by bus (bus stop straight outside).

After our day in Edinburgh, we returned to the Premier Inn and smoothly checked in. The staff were friendly. We were located on the second floor looking out onto an extractor fan and other rooms opposite. As mentioned in another post, the extractor fan was noisy, however it was off during the night but back on in the morning when breakfast was being prepared. We managed to sleep well as it wasn't on when we were going to sleep and were awake fairly early to continue our travels, otherwise we would have asked to change rooms.

Early evening, we went to see friends and then returned to the hotel and had food at the beefeater restaurant about an hour before they closed. We had the two course meal deal which was good. We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on this.

Overall, our stay was good and definitely value for money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

206 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Southport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

As you will see from my previous hotel and restaurant reviews, I am pretty generous on my appraisal of hotel and restaurant services, however on this occasion I feel that we have experienced a situation that is very rare in chain hotels. I cannot comprehend the recent decent reviews of this hotel. The below is an accurate appraisal and I invite the Hotel manager or indeed head office to contact me.
I picked the Premier Inn as it was very close to a nearby golf club where we were attending a 60th birthday party, Booking in for 2 nights.
On arrival we were met by a very friendly and welcoming receptionist, however, checking in took 0ver 15 minutes although all was in place. We were directed to our room 101, which we were politely told was just up the stairs to the left, when it was in fact a treck up and down 50 steps, through corridors which had not been properly cleaned full of corner dust. I will point out that this PI has recently had a partial refit, but management should check the dust in corners by room doors and in the corridors. Outside our room were 2 wide pieces of cord which were still there when we vacated 2 days later. However on the contrary, our room was large smart, new and very clean, my only objection being the set volume of the television was extremely low, rendering it impossible to clearly hear,
NOW comes the disgraceful bit. THE ADJOINING RESTAURANT "BEEFEATER"
We decided to have a late lunch and a drink prior to relaxing after a long drive. I ordered fish and chips and my wife ordered wraps with chips.
My fish was of a variety that I had never seen, and was wafer thin and totally tasteless, and my wifes wraps had hard corners, proof that they had not been freshly made. Should have complained but did not think on this occasion it would be worth the effort, especially as the bar area were we met was also in total need of a clean. I had also booked breakfast for the next 2 mornings. Here starts another tale. The breakfast restaurant was full and the breakfasts were plated to order, not buffet style. One waitress, one in the kitchen and a very hard working manager, who is obviously under instructions on staffing. No side plates available even when requested. We were lucky we were not in a hurry and got our full English within 30 minutes. Yes 30 minutes. A family of 4 next to us had their order taken after being forgotten for a full 20 minutes. When we had finished our breakfast they had not received theirs. The breakfast though was of a decent standard. I am generally a Holiday Inn client of all standards, and have now experienced the difference between the two chains. I have stayed in Premier Inns before, some being exceptional, however head office should take a look at this unit with objective criticism .

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, request a ground floor room, unless you are very fit and don't have to...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WhitbreadHotels, Online Customer Service at Premier Inn Edinburgh East, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Many thanks for your review. It really matters to us that our guests enjoy every aspect of their stay. We sincerely apologise that on this occasion our hotel failed to meet your expectations. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it enables us to improve standards. Please could you email your booking details to talktous@premierinn.com so we can investigate further. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

3 Night stay whilst visiting relative nearby! Bedroom 212 has extractor fan outside and very noisy! They moved us, at our request, after first night and refunded the cost! We had continental breakfast each morning, which was good. Staff very friendly and helpful. Overall the hotel is in need of fairly extensive refurbishment, and a new reception area has just been completed. However, given that we only ended up paying £102.50 (No accomodation charge for Sunday night - shareholder deal!) for 3 nights B&B, we can't grumble!

Room Tip: Ask to be located as far away as possible from the extractor fan!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in February, when we arrived I thought the episode where the Linton travel tavern was being renovated was being remade , for those of you familiar with Alan partridge you will understand !
However our stay here wasn't perfect as there were one or two issues that evolved throughout our stay, I will not say more as this review would be rather long!
Lets just say that putting a family of five , one of which a baby,on the second floor of a hotel without a lift perhaps wasn't the most guest friendly of arrangements.
The core of the stay couldn't really be faulted especially the staff who were all helpful despite the challenging conditions of having major building work going on.
The only regret of my stay was not putting biscuits and tomato ketchup on my face,a shower cap on my head,a kettle cord as a tail and tungsten tipped screws on my fingernails and go to reception saying "I'm a zombie"
It would have been pure class, a haaaaa.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

This is the best hotel we've ever stayed at! Great location just outside Edinburgh city centre. Staff are so, so friendly and helpful - they can't do enough for you. Beautifully clean rooms - we felt like the first people to stay there. Great food and service in the Beefeater downstairs. Absolutely brilliant! For a low cost city break I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 107 and it was perfect!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ladysmith, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I stayed at this Premier Inn in May 2012. Selected it because it was near a friend's house in Duddington. Big comfortable quiet room and terrific food in the dining room. Friendly helpful staff. Would stay there again and recommend the Premier chain to everyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights, hotel is just outside city centre but buses outside all the time, everything clean and staff very knowledgeable and friendly, on our last night we didnt wNt to use the restaurant a smy son was sleeping, we wanted a Chinese and they phoned it for us and supplied plates and cutlery etc, was a great break

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Premier Inn Edinburgh East? Share your experiences!