“Very clean and friendly.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Arrandale Guest House

Arrandale Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Arrandale Guest House
You added Arrandale Guest House to your Saves list
28 Mayfield Gardens, Edinburgh EH9 2BZ, Scotland (South Side)   |
Ranked #221 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
“Very clean and friendly.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Arrandale Guest House for 1 night on the 8th Feb. The owner Lis was very welcoming and friendly. The room was spotless clean and we had everything we needed. Breakfast was 10/10. Thank you Lis.

We will be staying there again.

Gary and Elaine from manchester

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I visited Edinburgh in May 2012 and stayed at The Arrandale for 5 nights. Even arriving there at 8 in the morning was no problem. Lis was there and even offered a (free!) fresh pot of tea as I had travelled overnight. The room was a good size, comfortable, clean and quiet with its own shower and toilet. I couldn't fault the place while I was there and even though it was full Lis was always ready to help anyone. I found her to be very helpful, knowledgeable and always cheerful. She is also a great cook and did all the breakfasts herself while I was there. The reason for having breakfast time slot is so that it is served on time and is always hot. I would definitely recommend it and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Having read some of the "bad" reviews i think they must have been staying at a different guest house. My wife. . and i stayed there for 3 nights and it was one of the best we have stayed in. Clean nice welcoming landlady and information in the hallway about anything and everything. The ensuite was small but still useable ok. The breakfasts were spot on could not fault them.The tv worked fine. We had a minor problem with the hot water but mentioned it to LIs and she saw to it immediately.And as for getting out and about Lis provides a mine of information on everything you could wish to know, Clean comfortable beds. Would i stay there again -definitely yes. Could not ask for anything more in a guest house.And not expensive Harry and Marjorie room1, From Newcastle

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

The Arrandale house was very lovely. Liz was very helpful and Scotland es magnifico! It rained lot but people are friendly and you not noticing it too much! Nice breakfast, big room, GREAT place, no to expensive. Highly recomment

Room Tip: I was in room 1. at the back of the house. good for traffic
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

2 night stay here with my husband and daughter. Booked via LateRooms, thinking i had found a "better price" than usual?? Nope, tariff in guest house is exactly what we were quoted, well almost....child up to age 11 supposed to "half the adult price", meaning my child should have been charged at £15 per night,??? Not very clean at all, although the owner did get the shower cubicle done again, but en-suite smelt of urine, hairs all over the place, filthy.
I have noticed a lot of reviews which tell of problems getting in - mine is no different, as we arrived at 10pm I telephoned the number give from outside, for it to go to voicemail?? I then had to knock to be met by a young chap who didn't apologise for the non answering of the phone?? mmm, then had to fill in Menu Cards for breakfast?? totally unnecessary if you are a smooth running efficient guest house surely?? Bizarre!
Hair in breakfast, hair taken away by aforementioned young man, no offer of replacement breakfast??? toast put on TABLE whilst he went to replenish the toast holder, cold plates, SKI YOUGHURTS BROUGHT to the table for you to choose???concrete hard beds (seriously), only 2 towels, 2 teacups even though there were 3 of us in the room.....and then they charge what they do?? Awful experience, we LOVED Edinburgh, but this place needs lots of attention to detail, housekeeping needs addressing, as wasn't that clean, breakfast tables full of previous guests breakfast dishes?? The owner was never going to offer any discount for the "experience" we had, which baffles me slightly - i would have bent over backwards if I was running this establishement to make amends?? £20 reduction off the bill of £180?? Not enough at all - and remember Lis, your tariff clearly states "CHILDREN UP TO AGE 11 HALF ADULT PRICE PER NIGHT".....so you still overcharged me at £160??? And still charged the 30p Debit card fee!!!
AVOID, plenty of other places in Edinburgh. Edinburgh is pricey because of what it is - but if you're going to pay this sort of money, pay it to a better run establishment.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
ArrandaleGuestHouse, Owner at Arrandale Guest House, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
As I explained to you while you were here, the smaller family room with one double and one single bed and en-suite bathroom would have cost £75. As you stayed in the larger family room with one double and 2 single beds and en-suite bathroom, the price for that room is, as advertised, £90. I appreciate that you were unhappy about the card charge of 30p. I had sent you an email on 30 August, acknowledging your reservation and informing you of the card charges prevailing. These, as you noticed, are clearly displayed in the hall area of the guest house.

I did not wish you to continue feeling unhappy and so refunded £10.30 to your card so that the total you paid was £75 per night.

I appreciate that not everything was perfect during your stay but unfortunately feel you have exaggerated the shortcomings greatly. I assure you that we do our best to provide a a good service here and I am glad to say the majority of my guests feel that we achieve that.

We rushed to rectify matters that you raised, for instance had the bathroom thoroughly cleaned as soon as you pointed this out to us and made doubly sure that nothing was wrong with your breakfast on the 2nd day. I would like to assure you that that this is the first instance during the period of providing bed and breakfast accommodation for 20 years that a guest has discovered a hair in their food.

It is most unfortunate that you feel it necessary to voice your negative opinions so vociferously across the internet and thereby attempt to damage my business, especially as we have been in communication to clear these problems up already.
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was struggling somewhat on the rating for this Guesthouse, and wishing that there was an option somewhere between 'average' and 'very good'. I have gone with 'very good' as I think that it is above average, but with the caveat that this is not an exceptional place, but a good one nonetheless.

As with so many things, it depends what you want from a where you are staying- and how much you expect to get for the money that you pay. My partner and I were very happy with what we got. The Guesthouse is easy to find, and on a main route into the city, meaning that buses are frequent and the walk into the city is only around 20 mins, the option that we took- a surprisingly long walk back though after a day climbing Athur's Seat and then hitting the pubs... The area is fairly quiet, with a lot of other guesthouses around, and there are places to eat etc within about 10 mins walk, though none that we particularly used, aside from a pizza place one evening.

In its favour, the building is a beautiful old town house, with high ceilings and original interior architectural features, and feels very spacious. We stayed in the non-ensuite room, meaning that instead we had private access to a bathroom off the same hallway. Our room was a good size and the bathroom a very good; having looked at other reviews it seems that the convenience of ensuite has somewhat compromised the space, so this room is a good option if you don't mind the slight inconvenience. The room itself was clean and tidy, well serviced every day. The front facing room(s) suffer slightly from outside traffic noise as this is a busy bus route, though after the first night we had adjusted, and there is very little other street noise, this seems to be a very quiet neighbourhood (though perhaps this changes during university semester, I am not sure). The breakfasts were nice, though I found it a little inconvenient to have to specify a time we would be coming down, and what we would like to eat, the day before (though understandable in terms of workload for the owner).

So all in all, it was a good place to stay- not over-luxurious, but then we were not particularly paying for luxury. For the same price I have stayed in better places in other cities, but Edinburgh is generally not a cheap destination and this is reflected in the accomodation costs. If you are thinking of booking to stay here I think that you can be fairly confident of a pleasant stay- and really, I would recommend that anyone stay somewhere like this, run by people who take pride and interest in the guesthouse which provides their livlihood, than some faceless corporate identikit-hotel in the city centre.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hertfordshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I am very surprised at the bad reviews on trip advisor as this is the second time we have stayed there and think it is lovely. My sister and brother-in-law from Australia stayed there for 10 days in July and also thought it was great. It is slightly old-fashioned in decor, but it was clean, the breakfast was fantastic, it is ideally located for getting into Edinburgh on local buses, and it is good value. It was one of the few B&B's in that area that did not insiste on a minimum 2 night stay at weekends over the summer period. We had the room with private bathroom, not en-suite, but for the reduction in price, it was well worth the slight inconvenience of having to go out into the hall to get to the private bathroom. Lis the owner was welcoming and chatty, and gave my 12 year old daughter the loan of a crutch as she had hurt her knee and was finding walking difficult. The most important aspect for me is that it was very quiet, so we all got a good night's sleep. I fully expect to stay there again next time we go up to Edinburgh. As Lis has pointed out in her replies to the bad reviews, if the problems had been pointed out to her at the time she could have tried to resolve them. Too many people lack the courage to say anything at the time and then have a good old moan after they get home.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Arrandale Guest House? Share your experiences!