“Fourth stay here” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
wales
“Fourth stay here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

A gem. So close to city centre and free parking at weekends. Clean and classy in an old fashioned way. No lift and lots of stairs so not suitable for those will mobility issues. Not expensive either. Good breakfasts. More of an upmarket guest house than a hotel. A peaceful haven in the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Greek first
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed here with my girlfriend for a weekend away.

I would confedently recommend this hotel to friends and I would defiantly stay here again.

The hotel was:- Cracking value for money, our room was spacious, I liked the breakfast, rooms and hotel seemed clean etc, the staff where lovely and very helpful.

The hotel was about 15mins walk from the station but most of the attractions where at the other side, so probably 25-30mins walk to the castle for example (guestimate). But the walk was nice, and we didn’t mind it. I would say this is the only downside we found, which wasn’t really a problem for us anyway.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here - I would call it a bed and breakfast rather than a hotel as it's that little bit more personal and you feel very well looked after. The building is beautiful and very grand. Our room was warm, clean and comfortable with a lovely view of the garden and beyond. Although it was fairly small, we never felt 'boxed-in': the bathroom is quite big and extra bonus points are to be awarded as it had a bath! The breakfast comes highly recommended - lots on offer and friendly and efficient staff. I would definitely recommend a stay at the Terrace Hotel: the price is very reasonable and the location is fantastic!

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the house - quiet and peaceful.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We spent 3 nights in a Terrace Hotel this month and the conclusion is: you get what you pay for. If you expect luxuries and great dining don't stay here. We were located in the last floor room with our own bathroom. The room was spacious but very basic. We were given an additional heater but did not have to use it as the central heating at night was more than enough. The only negative side was that the smell of the breakfast cooking was overwhelming in the morning (top floor). And that brings me to breakfast. I know there are loads of positive comments here on how good the food is and what choice you have. Let me just add that it is all typical full scottish/english breakfast and not that full at all. Each morning we were one of the last ones to eat and each morning we were informed that there are no mushroom or tomatoes left... bacon was pretty repulsive as well. So we resigned from eating on the 3rd day. Apart from that all good, quiet, clean and spacious with a really good location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
binty, Owner at Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
We were not sure who these guests were but we have had no visitors from Hawaii in February. I have asked my staff if they recognise this complaint and here is their reply: ‘ ***** mentioned this to me this morning, we can only think of a young couple who came down after nine, ***** pointed this out to them and apologised as there were no cooked tomatoes, but offered extra sausage or hash brown as an alternative, they didn't ask for mushrooms ( which I would have cooked). The lady had boiled egg and hash brown and the man had full fried. This only happened on one morning, there was no other guests who asked for tomatoes and mushrooms and didn't get them, so I can only assume it was them!’ If our guess is correct - the address we have for these guests is in Sheffield and my husband thought they were Dutch. Their room was on the 3rd floor at the opposite side of the building from the kitchen – I really don’t understand how any cooking smells could have permeated to their room. In any case the breakfasts we cook are all from fresh ingredients – nothing – bacon /sausages /eggs / mushrooms / cooking oil/ etc – nothing is recycled so there could be no stale smells. Bacon is grilled – not fried - each morning – takes longer but we want our bacon to be crisp and attractive. Don’t know how this could be construed as ‘pretty repulsive’. Heater – we want to be sure that none of our guests feel the cold so apart from the gas central heating a separate oil filled radiator is supplied in every room as standard – for guests use whenever they want. At £45.00 per room per night we don’t offer luxuries. (These of course are low season rates). We do provide top quality carpets, beds and bedding, furnishings, colour TV’s and tea coffee facilities and freshly painted rooms and of course attention to cleanliness and maintenance. In spite of our efforts – I am sorry if these guests have felt let down. I would appreciate if they could suggest any particular improvement to our service.
New Malden, null, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stayed with my girlfriend for a couple of days, as we both had a week off from uni. Was nice to get away, and although Edinburgh was not in peak season we certainly found ways to keep ourselves occupied. Hotel in a good location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Sorry to disappoint, but we were not impressed with this hotel. Yes we read the reviews, no elevator but we were travelling with an elderly person and made sure he was on the ground floor. Only to find out that the only rooms started on the "first" floor so you had to walk up a good number of steps. Our room was on the upper level, small room, cramped for two. There is a very nice and elegant entrance and sitting room in the hotel. Breakfast was ok nothing to brag about. Be prepared to walk to get to any restaurants or pubs. Taxis are the only way to go from here. It was cold when we stayed so the gardens were not a factor for a view. Never once saw the woman who runs the place just the gentleman and he was very nice and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
binty, Owner at Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Its quite some time from October to January and it took me some time to remember these guests. Sorry I’m not available to talk to guests often – I’m always working hard ‘behind the scenes’ My husband looks after the guests arriving and leaving and is very helpful with any guests problems / queries. There is always some helpful staff member available at any time. On this occasion however – maybe I’m not remembering correctly – I do remember having a nice conversation with the guests. They were commenting at how unseasonally warm the weather was at (their) home. They seemed happy to have stayed here and made no adverse comment to me.
There were 9 email messages re this booking including info sent by us to them about tour companies. 6 of the messages state: Rooms may be on 1st (one floor up) 2nd or 3rd floor - no lift. When deciding whether to book with us they specifically asked for a room not on the 3rd floor because of the age of their companion. The only room available on the lowest floor was a large family room and they decided to book that room. For the other room they wanted a room facing the garden =‘a room either on the 2nd or 3rd floor facing the garden is great’. There was only one room left facing the garden on the 2nd floor. It is one of the smaller rooms but is still a reasonably sized room. Room on the 2nd floor measures X 5m 50 (5yards2.71feet) X4m90(5yds 1foot) (including bathroom or 5m50X 3m20(3yards 1.4feet)not including bathroom. The room on the 1st floor (one floor up) measures 4.6metres(5yards) X 7.5 metres(8yards). Having decided to choose a garden view they then decide that the ‘cold’ makes it irrelevant. When I’m doing my chambermaiding I love to look out at our garden. Its full of interest all year round no matter how ‘cold’ the weather. Walking:. The nearest restaurants and pubs are at the end of our street = 5 minutes walk Holyrood palace and the Royal mile are 5 minutes walk as is the Playhouse theatre. Obviously if someone is unable to walk far through age or disability then the next option is a taxi. Breakfast: we have guests from all parts of the world. We try to have a generous breakfast menu – see web page – however guests expectations change according to nationality. We would welcome any useful suggestion as to how to improve our breakfast menu.
I'm sorry the guests were not pleased. I gave them as accurate and helpful information as possible.
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We had a nice time in Edinburgh. Hotel was so excellent, Nice and friendly staff and nice food. Room was fantastic. Excellent service. we had a beautiful 3 nights stay. Hotel is very close to many attractions in Edinburgh.there are many leaflets about attractions in Edinburgh.... So quite hotel.. They facilitate us to early check in and late check out..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Terrace Hotel? Share your experiences!