“Good Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sandaig Guest House

You added Sandaig Guest House to your Saves list
Sandaig Guest House
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   5 East Hermitage Place | Leith Links, Edinburgh EH6 8AA, Scotland   |
Ranked #64 of 440 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Preston, United Kingdom
“Good Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This Is a lovely guest house ideal for anyone not wanting to stay in Edinburgh City Centre.Buses stop a short walk away and are very regular.The room we had was at the front of the property overlooking Leith links and was beautifully presented and very clean only downside the décor was quite dark and we had to have a small light on at all times.The breakfast was excellent with a large menu choice We stayed three nights and would use this guest again if we were in the area again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Azul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Sandaig is lovely guest house. The atmosphere is amazing and the staff very kind and helpful. The room was really confortable with a nice bathroom, flat tv and a dock for the iphone. Also there was a welcome tray with some biscuits , tea and coffee. The breakfast was huge and delicious and with the possibility to choose between a lot of differents things. Also the common areas are very nice and confortable. Everything very clean and well presented in the hole guest house. The bus stop is at the door, so it makes it easy to move around Edinburg. I really recommend the Sandaig. Excelent guest house! I will definitly go to Sandaig guest house in my next visit to Edinburg.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Newcastle, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I agree with all of Pauline482 comments. In our many travels and stays in B&B's we have always been greeted personally by the owners. Since we were aware that in this instance we would not arrive until 8pm we advised and reconfirmed with Sandaig that this ETA was valid. However, when we arrived, nobody was on the premises, and only by good fortune three other guests returned to the B&B and let us in. In the two days we stayed there we only met the owner when we were leaving and she followed us to the car because she thought we hadn't paid the account which was incorrect. After a lengthy discussion she was left in no doubt about our grievances and was surprised when we raised the issues we had encountered. We found mosquitoes in the room, only one spare powerpoint for charging camera batteries, mobiles etc. The bed was so uncomfortable that my husband ended up with a sore back for a couple of days. One saving grace was the breakfast, but this does not overcome the feeling that B&Bs owner/manager do not worry about guest relations.

Room Tip: Don't book Room 6
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandaig, Owner at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear woona_12

Apologies that our manager Gordon was not here to greet you on your arrival. However he did try to contact you to explain that something had cropped up and he would be delayed by 20 minutes. However your phone was switched off so he then sent you a text message to give you the access code to let your selves in until he returned shortly afterwards.

I am the owner of the property and I do not currently live in. However we do, like many other establishments have a live in manager. We are not a hotel and therefore are not obliged to be here 24/7 but there is usually somebody here for most of the time.

On check out you did not come to reception to check out, but you just left your keys on the hall table and went. So I came out to 1) make sure that everything was alright with your stay 2) say good bye to you both and 3) to confirm if you had settled your account. You then explained that you were not too happy. You mentioned that the room was too hot, we do have to keep the heating on for our 4 star grading, however all of the bedrooms have fully operational windows and all of the radiators have adjustable controls, with standard easily identifiable marking from 0 for off to 5 for maximum heat so if you were too hot you could have turned down or indeed off all 3 of the radiators in your bedroom/en-suite. When I mentioned this to you, you said that you did not know this.

You also mentioned that a mosquito had got into your room. I do apologize for this, however there is absolutely nothing that we can do about the odd little fly getting in your room as the rooms are aired each day by the housekeepers for your comfort.

I have just been into Room 6 now and there are 4 double sockets, so 8 sockets in total in the room, 1 double at each side of the bed, I double beside the tea and coffee facilities and 1 double socket beside the desk and television. There are also 4 wall mounted lights with switches on the walls each with up and down lighters, so these would not take up a valuable socket.

I am sorry to hear that your husband found the bed uncomfortable. I must stress that all of our mattresses are of a very high quality. Possibly it was just the change of mattress that made your husband’s back sore?

I am delighted to hear that you did enjoy the breakfast. We do pride ourselves on serving a fantastic breakfast for all of our guests.

If you had come to us with your issues then most of them could have been resolved almost instantly.

We absolutely do care about guest relations and have had many a return guest in the 23 years that we have lived in and out of the guest house.

I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Scotland

Marina - Owner
Sunderland, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I work in the hospitality industry and it never ceases to amaze me how some people expect The Ritz but don't want to pay for it. This is a lovely guest house, they don't do evening meals hence it's a guest house. Beautifully presented rooms that are clean and well decorated. Our bathroom, with walk in shower was huge. Yes the roof sloped slightly on one side of the bed but you would have to be an utter fool to hit your head on it. There was a welcome tray with tea coffee and biscuits. Clean white towels with hospitality mint. Also a tray with sherry decanter. Flat screen freeview tv attached to the wall and sound system and phone on bedside table. Wardrobe space was limited if you were having an extended stay. Communal areas were well presented. Breakfast was huge and would have cost £12/15 had you dined out for it. It was also delicious and you wouldn't need to eat for the rest of the day. Bus stop at the door and it's 20 minute walk to Princes St or 7 minutes on a bus. We stayed Thursday night and it cost £90 for both of us. A bargain. We will definitely use the Sandaig again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sandaig, Manager at Sandaig Guest House, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear TazzzH

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. And look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Regards from Marina - Owner
shetland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Booked room several months in advance and was looking forward to our long awaited break but when arriving very disappointed with room, very small, view of very small courtyard with washing and listening to kitchen staff, had to boil kettle on floor very dangerous, no bedside table one side, tv smallest ever seen could not watch from bed as on a low table and bedpost in the way, bathroom in need of updating not good, had to move chair to get to chest of draws every time using it as room so small, room very hot and not happy to keep window open at night no security grill so did not feel safe.
Was told the owner would get in touch after we got home but no one has that is why we are writing this as not worth the money we were charged, we would have left it we could have found somewhere else but the festival was on so accomdation tight.
we got the short straw when we were given room SIX only saving grace was breakfast very nice.

Room Tip: dont have room SIX if you want comfort, space, view and nice bathroom
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Pauline 482
I am disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. Especially when you had informed our manager Gordon that the room was lovely. It was only when your realised that your friends had been given a complimentary upgraded to a superior room that you then decided that the room was not so lovely anymore. I would have been delighted to have given you both complementary upgrades but it was not possible. During our busiest month and in the middle of The Edinburgh Festival. Our double rooms are £130.00 rake rate and our Superior family rooms £185.00 your received them both at £120.00 per room per night with the complimentary upgrade.
I do not agree with your statement that the room is very small. The room fits perfectly into Visit Scotland’s criteria for quality and grading, in fact we were told by a Visit Scotland inspector that this room should be or signature room. So I guess it is just a matter of taste?
This room is our only ground floor room, which does overlook the courtyard. So it is the only room without a view as such, however a beautiful sunny room and you do not have to carry your cases up, which is also a bonus.
If the kettle is put on the designated table, the flex length fits perfectly. So I am not sure why you decided to boil the kettle on the floor? This could be extremely dangerous!
I agree the television is the smallest we have in the house at 19 inches, however this can be viewed perfectly from your bed or from sitting on a chair.
There are three radiators in the room that could have been turned off if you were too hot. Or you could have opened the top half of the window?
I am happy to hear that you did enjoy the breakfasts at The Sandaig and a suggestion would be to book a superior room on the first floor if you wanted more space next time.
Marina
Owner
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We just returned to Australia after a less than satisfactory stay at this Guest House. I booked the accommodation some months ago and was taken in by the pictures of what appeared to be large rooms with four poster beds and I foolishly thought that for 130 pounds per night that was what we would get. How wrong was I! We were stuck in a small cramped attic room in which the person lying on the right hand side of the bed could have done themselves an injury if they had jumped out of bed in the middle of the night and stood up - as there was a low solid overhang in the ceiling adjacent to the bed. The amount of strorage space for clothes was pitiful and my wife and I found ourselves trying to live out of and negotiate 2 large cases and 2 items of hand luggage. Whilst the owners were helpful this did not compensate for what was very poor value for money, I cringe to think what this would have cost us in Aussie $ terms a few years ago as it would have equated to over $300 per night. As it was it was equivalent to around $180 per night for less than which we got to stay in a fabulous hotel in Singapore called the Traders on our way back - check it out and compare. Also in the nights before our visit to Edinburgh we stayed at a McDonald's Hotel - Linden Hall in Morpeth, Northumberland, an old Georgian Manor House - 65 pounds per night including breakfast and access to sauna, spa and heated pool. I know it is the high season at this time of year in Edinburgh and we did only stay for 3 nights but really - the tariff should reflect the standard of room provided and not merely be one price and you take pot luck with what you get. You also have to remember this place is stuck out in Leith to so charging a premium price is even harder to justify. Oh I nearly forgot - you do get access to fast Wi-Fi internet though - whoopee!

Room Tip: stay in another guest house/hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Chris SS
We are very disappointed to read your review. During the Edinburgh festival, you will find that this is our busiest time and all establishments in Edinburgh are charging their top published rates, so the rate of £130.00 is correct for a classic double room, in August at our establishment.
You have admitted it that foolishly you presumed that you would receive one of our superior rooms at the rate of a classic room. If you required one of our superior rooms, then that is what you should have booked, but the rate of course would have been higher.
Edinburgh in August can not be compared to Morpeth, which does not have an international festival going on.
Our tariff does reflect the type of room and our classic doubles range from £65.00 to £130.00 compared to our
Superior rooms which range from £85.00 - £210.00 throughout the year.
Yes, we do listen to our customers and have upgraded our WI FI, so that it is now complimentary to everyone in each room. Unlike a major hotel chain that I have recently stayed at who were charging £16.00 per day for the privileged.
Stuck out in Leith. Leith is an extremely cosmopolitan place, the guest house offers free parking, which is difficult to claim in Edinburgh. It is opposite historic Leith Links, where the original rules of golf were made. It is one and a half miles to walk and ten minutes by bus to the city center. Some of the most fascinating history and architecture can be found in Leith and of course some of the best restaurants in Edinburgh are in Leith and within walking distance from the Sandaig. Not a bad place to be stuck in.
Wells, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed at Sandaig at the end of June and found the welcome friendly, the room comfortable and the breakfast especially good with enormous choice! The staff serving breakfast were very helpful. My room was at the top of the house and overlooked the Links which is quiet at week ends but there is a little traffic noise in the morning on week days. This would not bother most people! I enjoyed the "out of town" location as I prefer to be away from the hustle + bustle of city life! Also there is a very good bus service just outside the B+B and it only takes 10 minutes to reach the centre of Edinburgh and the main tourist attractions.
There is a good choice of restaurants in Leith within a 10/15 minute walk from Sandaig. A couple of evenings I walked on my own to + from the restaurants in this area and felt quite comfortable. I would definitely recommend this B+B!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sandaig Guest House? Share your experiences!