This is a very nice place to stay indeed. It looks a bit shabby from the outside and is in a rather run down terrace on a main road so our hearts fell as we got out of the taxi from the station. But fortunately this was a misleading impression. The owners, Franco and his wife Lynne, are charming and their B&B is entirely clean and comfortable. Our room was at the back and very quiet apart from a water pump that turns itself on at 645 each morning and woke us up. The breakfasts are made to order, with a special ingredient or dish each day and for 7 days there was always something different; all ingredients good quality and mostly local; the fruit salads were also different each day and tasted as good as they looked. The beds were comfortable and I have no doubt that any significant problems would have been attended to at once. Franco was also a good source of festival information. The place is somewhat out of the centre - perfect if you are going to Queen's Hall, which is a block away, but not so good if you want to visit George St or the book festival as it is a long trek over there and buses are delayed by the road works and congestion on North Bridge. Some good restaurants around in the area which are not as touristic as the centre. There is no sitting area. We would not hesitate to return next year if we can afford it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Southside is a stylish and welcoming Guest House in the heart of the City of Edinburgh close to the Old Town. It provides very comfortable accommodation in a contemporary, smart decor in a period setting. The eight stylish en-suite bedrooms, which include two Four Poster Rooms, have been designed to be as individual as our guests. If you are seeking somewhere unique and memorable for your Edinburgh visit, Southside is an excellent choice. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Southside Guest House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southside Guest House Hotel Edinburgh
- Southside Guest House Edinburgh, Scotland