“The beautiful guesthouse with a difference.” 5 of 5 stars

53 Frederick Street
53 Frederick St., Edinburgh EH2 1LH, Scotland (New Town)   |
Ranked #129 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Menstrie, United Kingdom
“The beautiful guesthouse with a difference.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This is a guesthouse above a hair salon. Follow the steps up, even the stone steps. At this point I thought "what have I let myself in for?" Actually I let myself in for a warm, friendly welcome by Tessa who shown me maps and leaflets and a comfortable lounge on arrival. Breakfast is in the restaurant downstairs and you are given a voucher for that. Then I was shown to my room. The room I booked was with a double bed and the room was really spacious, complete with chandalier very comfortable with en-suite. The room doesn't stop there, it had a large comfortable sofa, tv and kettle with teas and offee and ample space in the wardrobe for a short city break. The lounge has DVDs to borrow for your room and also has a PC for internet access. I was a lone traveller and felt very safe and at ease in this guesthouse. Tessa was good at giving directions to different streets too.

The location is very central. It is a side street off of Prince's Street. So it is all in walking distance of all the main attractions Edinburgh has to offer such as galleries and museums and also shops, restaurants and a spa. I would certainly have no hesitation on returning to this guesthouse.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

We are a family of 3 persons and spent 2 nights form 3 July 2012 in this beautiful Georgian building accomodation. The location was central with all major attractions such as Edinburgh castle, Scotts Monument, National galleries, Portrait Gallery, etc are within short walking distance. The Buchanan Bus Station and Waverley railway station are also within walking distance. The triple room we stayed in was quite spacious with tea-coffee making facilities, free internet access and adequate toiletries (though liquid soap only). The room had a pleasant decor with ample cupboards/closets for storing your luggage/clothing. The staff including the owners Tessa & David were extremely caring and helpful and extended their cooperation as far as practicable. Tessa helped us in booking online our bus ticket for Glasgow. David briefed us about the things to see in Edinburgh.The breakfast at Rick's restaurant downstairs in the basement was of excellent quality though not a buffet.
The only negative point is the stairs you have to climb to reach our 2nd/3rd floor room. However, we were helped by one of the staff who helped us with the luggage in climbing up the stairs when we came to check-in.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This was my second stay at 53 Frederick Street. I had a fantastic room, huge with a king bed, couch and a large bathroom. I remember the stairs from my first stay but I forgot how difficult it could be for someone with a heavy suitcase. If you can't do stairs, this B&B is not for you!!!!
I saw Tessa for a few minutes when I first arrived but could never find her again. In the morning I went down to Rick's to eat breakfast (they don't serve breakfast at the B&B like they use to. I was not able to get breakfast until I had a coupon from Tessa. So back up the stairs and was unable to locate her. Finally someone else (not David or Tessa) came from somewhere and was headed out the door but stopped and asked if I needed help. He was able to go get a key and open the office door and found the "coupon" I needed for breakfast. This was not the best way to start my morning. Good thing that I had time and was not in a hurry for a tour.
So, to add to my mixed review, is that I had recommended this B&B to my aunt and uncle who would be staying there a couple weeks later. Because I really liked my room I asked if possibly they could have the same room. I was told that this particular room was not available but they will have a nice room in another section. This did not turn out so well for them. What they booked and what they got were two different things. They were suppose to have the bathroom en suite, which was specific in the reservation confirmation but they had a room with the bathroom down the hall. My advice is to reconfirm by email exactly what you are getting so you will not be disappointed.
Location is great. Breakfast at Rick's is limited but okay.
Price is good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on the main floor - the newer section that was added to the B&B.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
DT_Edin, Manager at 53 Frederick Street, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our guest house on TripAdvisor again, I just wanted to apologise for any inconvenience which you experienced while you stayed with us in our establishment and to clarify some of points which you have made.

I am sorry you weren't given a breakfast ticket when you checked in, but I am glad Jay one of our staff was able to furnish you with this ticket.
Since we now have 12 rooms situated over 4 floors, accommodating 31 people per day we did decided to partner with Ricks a 5 star establishment as we feel they can offer our guests a quicker and more efficient service for breakfast.

I have forwarded the confirmation emails to you of your aunt and uncles room which was booked through an agent and not direct to ourselves but it does clearly state in the confirmation they received that the double king size room was with separate private bathroom (this is also the room you stayed in, 2008) and I am sure you can remember the bathroom directly across the hall which is for your exclusive use.

I am in the office 7 days a week from 8.30am till late depending on arrival times of our guests. Obviously there are times when I have other business to attend to but as my brother David and I both live on the premises and can be contacted 24hrs per day by using the free direct telephone line on the desk in the hall or by pressing the buzzer on my office door,
we have not found this to be a problem so far.

Shortly before the time of your visit our father suffered a major stoke and we had been taking some afternoons away from the office (which were covered by Jay) to visit our critically ill father in hospital. I understand you weren't to know this but I also didn't know you needed to speak to me as there was no note or message left for me to get back in touch with you.

I hope I have covered all your comments and hope that overall you enjoyed your stay with us in Edinburgh.

Kind Regards

Tessa
Hawks Nest, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

If you're keen to stay in the middle of the city, this guesthouse is an excellent choice. It really is central, within walking distance of The Royal Mile and its attractions, the gallery and museum and the Botanic Gardens. While its entrance is modest and the concrete stairwell leading up to the second floor (on which the guesthouse is situated) isn't very inviting, our room (no. 5) came as a pleasant surprise. It was large, light, clean and comfortable, with a king bed and a good-sized en suite. As it faced Frederick Street, however, it was a little noisy overnight.

Tessa, one of the two guesthouse owners, was extremely helpful. She answered our questions about restaurants, about what was worth seeing during our two-day stay and the best way to get there. She let us use her laptop to reserve seats on a flight and offered us the use of her phone.

Breakfast is taken downstairs in the restaurant next door and is a cut above your average B&B fare.

If you plan to arrive by car (we didn't), check on parking arrangments. Parking inspectors are everywhere and while we were there one of the guests received a parking fine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this very welcoming B&B. We are a family of four (two adults, two teens), and loved our spacious quad room with beautiful windows. The bathroom was spacious too, with extra space for our toiletries. The plumbing for the toilet and shower was a bit noisy - we decided that Nessy might live inside the plumbing.

The owners were very helpful and gracious.

Breakfast at Rick's next door was a delightful surprise - I wasn't sure what I was expecting, not something this nice; the food was very good (especially the yogurt and granola, though the rest of the family had the more traditional cooked eggs), and we loved the decor.

We hope to be visiting Edinburgh again, and if so, will plan to stay here again.

Room Tip: The quad room is spacious; the pictures on the website don't do it justice.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

We got great service from co-owners Tess & her brother David. The three flights of stairs are not for everyone but my 71-year old father was happy to take his time on the stairs in exchange for great value, great location, and great service. We got great recommendations from our hosts for local sights and eateries. They also accommodated our change in plans with ease. A wonderful time in (unfortunately rainy Edinburgh) thanks to 53 Frederick Street.

• Stayed June 2012
Nairn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Just returned from 2 day stay with my daughter. Tessa and David very friendly and helpful. Room was large, very spacious and comfortable with great tea/coffee making facilities.. Brilliant breakfast served next door. Would highly recommend this b&b to all.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to 53 Frederick Street? Share your experiences!