“A Great Base for visiting Edinburgh” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Ceilidh-Donia

Save Saved
You added Hotel Ceilidh-Donia to your Saves list
Hotel Ceilidh-Donia
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   14 - 16 Marchhall Crescent, Edinburgh EH16 5HL, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
Northampton, United Kingdom
“A Great Base for visiting Edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

We chose this hotel because of the reviews on TripAdvisor and the competitive price. We were not disappointed. The room was very comfortable with a huge bed and a spotless bathroom and excellent shower. Breakfast was not speedy but I couldn't have cooked it better myself (I'm proud to be a good cook) poached eggs were always perfect. I'd rather have fresh food, and it gave me time to pour over my guide book and plan the day. Yes, it's not in the city centre, but even with dodgy weather, getting the bus there and back was just as easy as finding somewhere to park, no problem at all. Thanks for a great 3 nights.

Stayed November 2013
WarriorPoet55, Owner at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Fabby Review, all our Rooms are different shapes and sizes but we hope that they all have the same standard of cleanliness and usefulness. Our Location is an continuing immoveable talking point for our Guests but we are after all just 3 mins from the Main Bus route into Town, lots of Pubs and Restaurants with 10 minutes’ walk and as you point out it is FREE on street parking, so what’s not to like about that.

Aha Poached Eggs which can be the bane of many a Cook and person, I can’t Cook so I do not know what Annette and Janet’s secrets are but I am delighted as a good Cook yourself that you found them to be perfect.

577 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Turkish first
Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

We cannot recommend this hotel too highly. We received a very warm welcome, a lot of friendly advice and a 10% discount card for a visit to Royal Yacht Britannia. As I had mentioned my dodgy knees, we were given the ground floor room for a disabled person. It is large and well appointed with en suite shower etc Beds were very comfortable and made up with very clean white bed linen and a good sized duvet. Breakfast was excellent and we did not mind waiting for our orders, as we'd been warned in the brochure that the food was cooked to order. We also had the bar snacks with an excellent bottle of John Smith's beer. This will definitely be our base when we next visit Edinburgh.

Room Tip: For elderly visitors, like us, the ground floor room is ideal. Marchhall Crescent is quiet and we w...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a lovely Review, we have two Ground floor rooms in the front lobby which are great for anyone with walking difficulties, one of the rooms is furnished with all the necessary kit needed for Ambulant People.
Delighted that the Trip to Britannia was a high point for you both, remember if you come back we have Concord nearby as well..
Good to know that our cozy wee Bar finished of your stay with us, Oops just remembered it was Belhaven Best Beer that you were drinking..

Somerset, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had a very pleasant night here. I cycled and the friendly woman at reception locked my bike in the office without a quibble. I ate at the nearby Salisbury Arms, which was great. My room was nice and although the bathroom was cramped it had a really excellent shower with good products. The wifi was fast, reliable and easy to use. While the mattress wasn't the finest, the bed linen was comfortable and I slept well. The breakfast was very good too.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Reviewee

Thanks for a terrific review of The Hotel Ceilidh-Donia, the Salisbury Arms has been open now for two years past and serves great Pub food and A La Carte, it is only 4 mins walk away, this and a few other Restaurants and Gastro Pubs that have opened near our Hotel over the last 5 years is one of the reasons that we stopped our in house Restaurant and became a Metro Hotel (European Idea), which basically means we are a still a Hotel but we must have a choice of Restaurants with in a 10 minutes’ walk from the Hotel and we must offer snacks..

Stayed October 2013
Bruges, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed for a week and was satisfied with the service. From a budget hotel like this you could not expect more but this one was beyond my expectations. Easy access by bus or even walk will do- centrally located in Edinburgh. Check in was a bit slow but manageable. Max and Annette were the best host ever- friendly and hospitable. Room was nice, spacious and well maintained. There was a fan and TV in the room (*channels were limited). Breakfast was good especially the eggs benedict, my favorite- served hot and fresh. Staff was courteous, a special thanks to the owners (and their dog which was not at all a nuisance) for making my stay comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Magic review, Beyond Expectations, Wowee, that’s Great, Hmmm I think I feel a Book coming on ha ha ha, and yes check in can be slow at times depending on many variables, also the TV has five main channels but also has Freeview with app 80 other channels, faffing about with some remotes can be difficult even for me but they are there.
Hopefully we will Install Smart TVs soon in all Room’s, Wow will Guests ever leave and go out, tee hee hee.
I will tell Annette and Janet that they are still hitting the mark with their Hot Breakfast and especially the eggs benedict..

North West England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I spent 2 nights at the C-D hotel in Edinburgh. My single room was cosy/small but perfectly formed and very clean and in good condition. The bed itself was comfy although I found the duvet way too thick and hot for me personally. The bathroom was very clean with plenty of shower gel/shampoo etc.. how they got everything into that tiny space and still made it feel roomy I'll never know!! Breakfast was served downstairs in a red and black room - that was certainly different for a breakfast room! Cereals, and cooked breakfast were available plus a few pastries, fruit, yoghurts and juices. Enough to get you well set up for the day ahead. If you want sweetners instead of sugar for your drink, there are some on one of the shelves by the pastries - I found them too late for me. I only have one niggle which was that when I arrived I had a heavy bag and I personally found it was a struggle up 2 flights of stairs - some help would have been appreciated especially as the staircase was twisty, steep and unfamiliar and I felt quite unsteady, even using the rail.
Although the hotel is not bang in the middle of Edinburgh the buses are very regular outside on the main road around the corner from the hotel. At rush hour it took what felt like forever to get to the hotel but during the day it was much quicker. The 14, 30 and 33 will get you into Edinburgh/Royal Mile/Princes Street and the 2 is very useful if visiting the National Museum of Scotland - that will drop you right nearby Chambers Street/Greyfriars Bobby. To go to Ocean Terminal you are better going to Edinburgh Princes St then transferring to one of the many direct buses from there. Likewise if you visit Holyrood the 35 will take you back up the Royal Mile from Holyrood if you do not feel like taking the hilly walk back up. To return to the Airlink Buses in Edinburgh get the 30 or 33 as they stop just past The Balmoral Hotel which is nearer for the Airlink stop than using the 14 as that goes towards Leith. The Day Ticket for £3.50 is a bargain and allows you to use the buses all day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thanks for a splendid review, well glad that you like our roomy toilets, tee hee he, we do have other lighter duvets available should you return.

Aha the breakfast Room!?, Black and Red! well my design Idea was Scottish, there a surprise, the structures and colours were dreamed up as follows, in the Glassed over Roof we have a Boat that took Scotland’s Brave Pioneers and the great many disposed people away to America, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, the boat is Blue and White as is the Flag of Scotland, this Boat eventually brought back the Diaspora to their Heartlands as Tourists.
The upper walls are Grey as are the walls of Edinburgh Castle, the Doors are Black as is death, and the lower walls are Blood Red as is our Countries History.
Next to this part is the Castle Palace with a selection of Scotland’s Tartans hanging to remember the Fallen Heroes who have defended Scotland over the many, many Centuries, and the wee bity next to this is the Dudgeon with its Port Cullis where Guest get locked up if they do not like my Whiskies ha ha ha, and in the distance is of(a picture) the Eilean Donan Castle sitting in a Loch to symbolise Scotland’s True and everlasting beliefs, there I have said it at last, tee hee heee, I keep meaning to put that wee story of the Breakfast room in my Breakfast Menu’s.

Oops I nearly forgot we also have the Flag of Scotland on the Floor, Rabbie Burns (National Poet)looking down on us and Twin Towers on the wall to remind all peoples of the World that Freedom is a Picture and it does Indeed Paint a Thousand Million WORDS - FREEDOM.

Newtown, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed three nights at Hotel Ceilidh-Donia and it felt like a home away from home for two main reasons. First, the hotel is actually a very nice home in a quiet neighborhood on the outskirts of the city. More importantly, the owners, Annette and Maxx, made us feel that we were part of the family - looking out for all of our needs and providing suggestions and guidance that helped us to thoroughly enjoy our time in Edinburgh. The staff members we encountered were equally courteous and anxious to be of service. Our accommodations were quiet and very comfortable and breakfast was like eating at home. The hotel is about a 10 minute bus ride to the Royal Mile and there are restaurants within walking distance. Our three nights and four days in Edinburgh could not have been more fun. There is so much to see and learn about the architecture and history of this magical city. And Annette and Maxx provide the perfect home to escape from the hustle and bustle of the center city. Make sure you ask Maxx for some "flapjacks." They make a great snack.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a Sparkling Review, and for saying that you felt like you were in a Home away from Home, Wins it for us every time, we are not luxurious and we hope not pretentious but we are Happy running our Family Hotel in Edinburgh, and having a Business in Edinburgh is part of that, it is a truly Wondrous City to visit or to live in.
The Hotel always has Staff on duty from 7-00 am until 12-30 am (mostly Annette or myself) our three Key Staff Members, Janet, Anne and Jill have been with us for 18 years on average and also love working in the Hospitality business, and boyo can Janet Cook and what parts of the Hotel have Anne and Jill not cleaned! ? .
Magical City is exactly what Edinburgh is, sometimes called The Athens of the North or what Paris ought to have been, we had Skyscrapers (16 stories high) hundreds of years before New York, A Volcano, eat your Heart out Rome, Europe’s longest artificial Ski-Slopes and Portobello Beach, true many, many places have more Sun but Edinburgh will always have the Universe at its HEART..

P.s Flapjacks anyone..
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

This friendly b&b is located a bit outside the city, but easily accessible by bus or on foot. Service was warm, welcoming, and very helpful. The furnishing is not luxurious, but good quality and comfortable. The mattress was firm and comfy, with nice sheets. The bathroom was small, but had absolutely amazing shower pressure. Thhotel also has a small bar and lounge that is perfect for relaxing after a long day. Breakfast is cooked to order and delicious. A few nice extras: free bottle of water every day, freee DVD borrowing, a nice selection of books and board games.

Would definitely return. I was a bit suspicious of the low price, but I spent nearly twice the price at another hotel for about the same thing. The good value definitely boosts my eating fro four stars to five stars.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear Revieweee

Many Moons of thanks for a glorious review, I see you though that our Good Value helped us get another notch, thanks. Hotel costs now though are not as simple as they were before On Line Travel Agency came on the scene, previously Hotels etc could set their price and come and go a wee bity but with over 55 O.T.As coming through our Eviivo Hotel Computerised System now with varying deals to be had I really hope that you and future Guests appreciate that we are not always in control as we were 5 years ago.

We decided 14 years ago to stay with Pine Furniture (sustainable wood) and yes your right Pine is not exactly Luxurious but it is really, really hard to refurbish all our Rooms at the same time, we try to upgrade 4 Rooms every year from the 18 we have so it does take 5 years sometimes to complete the cycle.

Glad you like all the little extras that we provide free and now with our new Wi-Fi units (Desk Point Pro) located in all Rooms we hope trouble free Surfing for all our Guests..

Maxx..

Been to Hotel Ceilidh-Donia? Share your experiences!