“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 445 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

My other half and I spent the Bank Holiday weekend at Fraoch House. Our room was very nice, bed was really comfortable. I'd asked for a birthday cake and this was readily done and at no additional cost which was a real surprise. Gareth is a very friendly and helpful host and the breakfast is fantastic and generous, we did not need to eat again until the evening! The walk into town is about 25 minutes but there are very regular and convenient buses. Overall this is an excellent b and b.

Room Tip: Go for an ensuite.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a few days at the Festival which was made even more enjoyable by the stay at Fraoch House. It is hard to add anything new from previous comments.
Gareth is an enthusiastic and hospitable host; breakfast was terrific and room was extremely clean and very comfortable. Getting into the centre was absolutely no problem-about 10 mins by bus. I would certainly recommend staying here

Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed a few nights and yes this property lives up to all the reviews- the location is convenient even if you do not know the city we were able to find our way around without getting lost, car parking can be a shuffle on busy streets but again we did not miss out, the worst thing that might happen is that you have to walk a couple of blocks

The rooms are well set up and gareth is a hospitality professional and a pleasure to deal with- it’s a special quality to be able to talk to all diferrent sorts of people and make them feel welcome but he does it perfectly

Breakfast was terrific a daily event to look forward to and the rooms are very comfortable and nicely set up- this is an excellent choice for Edinburgh accommodation, you will not be disappointed

Just a few things to point out the mattress needs replacing in room 8 it is noisy and worn to the point of ruining a good nights sleep, you can feel the coils in it, worn out shelving in the bathroom, you need to add soap holders and toilet roll holders – practical things

There should be music at breakfast for the times when you are not entertaining the guests it adds to the atmosphere and hard to manage but breakfast can be very very cramped and over crowded

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
fraoch66, Owner at Fraoch House, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Many thanks for the review. I'm glad you had a good time with us. Thanks for the heads up about the mattress i will pop out tomorrow and buy a new one. I wish you had said something to me while you were here i could have remedied the situation during your stay. My guests comfort is always one of my top priorities.

We do not have any shelving in the bathroom in room 8 so im not sure about that one. We have in the past played music at breakfast but some guests didn't like having music on or in some cases didn't share my eclectic taste in music.

Hopefully see you next time you are in town.

cheers

Gareth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We had booked our Edinburgh Fringe long weekend months ago and were really looking forward to it and Fraoch House surpassed our expectations. We were traveling from york and were going to miss the check in time, but the owner Kat had arranged our keys for secure collection and we had a personalised welcome letter from her on arrival. How lovely! We were in room 9,the basement. We thought it would be the dud dingy room, but it was the complete opposite. Light, airy, beautifully decorated, luxurious comfy bed and a little patioed garden. The room was faultless. As was the breakfast and friendly warm service headed by Gareth who took a genuine interest in all of his guests and was always ready to assist in making the holiday run as smooth as possible. The food was fresh, with a good range and good portions!! I could not recommend this hotel highly enough and I cannot wait until our next visit!

• Stayed August 2013
Dubrovnik, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Upon arrival we were welcomed with tea and cookies. Lovely clean room, excellent choise of food for breakfast and homey atmosphere. Bus (n°11) for Princes street just in front of the house. If you like walking, Fraoch house is situated just 25 minutes from Princes street. Gareth is a great host. I highly recommend it!

Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We arrived to Fraoch House via cab, but that is because we were not familiar with the bus system, which is very good in Edinburgh (the number 11 stops right outside). We were greeted very warmly by Garreth upon arrival and he took our bags up to our room, while we had tea and coffee, which after all the travel was very much appreciated. He was extremely informative about how to get around in Edinburgh and thanks to his advice and the maps he provided we did adequately well. We stayed on the third floor, which was fine for us, but if you have problems getting around, get a room on one of lower levels. I really appreciate it when someone goes above and beyond, but I appreciate it even more when going above and beyond is the norm and that is how it feels at Froach House. The room we stayed in was not overly spacious, but more than adequate (and I feel it might be big for an Edinburgh B&B). Also, it had a private bathroom with a shower only. The bed was very comfortable, which allowed for a fantastic rest followed by a delicious breakfast. I feel that with all the walking and site seeing we did in Edinburgh, I would not have made it with the normal hotel amenities. Perhaps the best way to describe my stay at Froach House is the feeling of gratitude I feel towards them.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in early August. It is such a great alternative to staying at a standard hotel. Easy to find, great location, wonderful (huge) breakfast, immaculately clean, large rooms, on the bus line, and easily walkable to many locations are just a few of the reasons to stay here. Gareth and Kat are very personable, giving tons of information and advice about everything and anything to all who asked questions. I would return and stay here again in a minute.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fraoch House? Share your experiences!