“BEST Holiday inn express - faultless in every aspect of our stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Picardy Place | Opposite Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre, 1/4 mile East End Princes Street, Edinburgh EH1 3JT, Scotland (Broughton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #97 of 145 Hotels in Edinburgh
London
“BEST Holiday inn express - faultless in every aspect of our stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

I have to say in reading the other reviews, I agree with the reviews made that the hotel has a fantastic location - very central, good bedrooms and with helpful hotel staff. I am not sure how long the hotel has been open but the hotel looks like it has been refurbished or decorated when you get inside.

Everyone in our group found the rooms to be pleasant and comfortable. You can even choose from a choice of soft and firm pillows on the bed - I have not seen this is other Express hotels. The bathroms have very powerful showers and a funny door set up - the bathroom door is also the toilet / wc door! We stayed here for 3-nights. The rooms have plenty of hanging space in an open style wardrobe with shelves, but I would not like to stay here for a long stay - I would be looking to stay in a Holiday Inn with a wardrobe and more storage space. For our needs, the hotel was great but I would always advise people stay in an Express for short stays / weekends away with the family etc.

Some of my colleagues had rooms that faced the front of the hotel with big old fashioned windows with another window - but no problems with noise from outside or other guests. I guess if you don't want to be in the middle of the city centre and you want total peace and quiet then stay outside of the city!

As per the other hotels in this chain, there is a continental breakfast selection included in the room rate on a balcony level above the main Reception and bar - plenty of choice and fresh. What really makes this hotel stand out is the staff. Everyone made everyone in our group feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble from booking a taxi to giving us directions to the conference centre. I really appreciate that everyone was down to earth and they wanted to help - the manager even offered to lend us an umbrella while we went outside for a cigaratte. it was great to see that they noticed the small things - I often find that this kind of service is missing from 4 and 5 star hotels, never mind that Express is supposed to be a budget place. We left our mobile charger at home and the man working at nightime went out of his way to search through a big box to give us the right adaptor - again we found this to be really good service. I also saw them being equally as friendly with other guests that were staying on leisure. It must be difficult when guests as so many questions but the Reception staff seemed to be handling everything well - even from some high demanding guests who must have throught they were stay in a 5 star hotel! I am a big fan of Holiday Inn - some can be good and some are OK. This one is the best - the staff here went out of their way to help everyone - we saw this in the morning and again in the evening and night time.

The hotel itself is inside a stone terrace building on Picardy Place and is not a purpose built hotel. Very little Holiday Inn Express signage but I guess they can't put up a huge sign with the hotel being in the middle of a World Heritage City and it would spoil the building! The lobby and bar were very comfortable with booth seats - we loved the choice of whisky. I use Express & Holiday Inn all over the country for business and leisure trips and this one was faultless. I am a lighter sleeper and I had put a request on my internet booking for a quiet room away from the main street and lift etc. We were given a room facing the small car park at the back and this was fine - no noise at all and my wife and I always had a refreshing sleep. Although I am sure we would have been ok with a front room and no one else in our group found it to be noisy. The hotel staff were also very good about some of our group looking to check in early and they kept our bags locked in their porters store after check out.

I stayed at the Edinburgh Central hotel for business with my wife and colleagues and it was handy for walking to George Street for dinner when we came back from a conference at the Edinburgh Conference Centre. The area around the hotel also has plenty of eating places and bars. There is a cinema and fitness gym across the road with a Frankie and Benny's, Chinese buffet, pub, Slug & Lettuce and La Tasca tapas. One night went to Smokestack around the corner from the hotel for steaks. It is on a street with other bars, restaurants and deli type / coffee shop places - they all looked popular with the locals.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, November 9, 2009
Dear Tripadvisor member,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review about Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre. I have passed your comments on to our hotel team and look forward to seeing you back at the hotel again.

Regards

Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Adelaide
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

I stayed at the Holiday Inn for 18-nights and in my opinion; it's not a place for business travelers. My room was on the 6th floor with two single beds. It was forever noisy; obviously the holidaymakers were always up late partying or having domestics at 4am in the morning. Which is fine, if you're on holiday as you should enjoy yourself but for those trying to sleep (to get up early for work), listening to people thump up and down the hallway all night, slamming doors, laughing and yelling; its very annoying. I rarely slept a full night... in a single bed.

The internet is very expensive; and the desk area you are given is very small. Each night I returned to my hotel I would need to wipe down my desk space as the cleaners would always miss this spot. From what I could tell, the cleaners only changed your bed sheets and put fresh towels in the bathroom. They would constantly leave dirty plates and cups in my room.

I will say that the staff were nice however you are made to feel that you must look after yourself. I get that the Holiday Inn is more for people passing through Edinburgh and who probably just want to be left alone to enjoy their holiday, but if you are traveling to Edinburgh for business and need to work during the evenings, I would consider another hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Morehead City, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

We stayed in this hotel during a 4 day stay in Edinburgh. This was my second stay here. The hotel is centrally located in the new town. It is in a Georgian style building with huge beautiful windows. Everything is within walking distance from the hotel. A taxi stop is located right across the street.
Our room, 327, and bed that we got this stay was quite smaller than the last stay. We asked for a double room and got a small room with a double bed. The room was well kept, tidy, and well stocked. The room did not have any extras or frills. It was quite standard.
The breakfast was continental without any warm food. It did have all the basic cold items.
The staff was friendly and helpful. The lobby has free local phone service and 2 computers for internet use. Each room was allotted 30 minutes of free internet time a day. This was helpful for dropping emails. No free Wi-Fi in the rooms or lobby.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Okay, so me and my partner took a trip to the edinburgh festival for 5 nights. We thought there would be no chance of finding a hotel in the centre on a tight budget.. wrong! This Holiday Inn Express does everything it says. It provides a comfortable base for 2 people, (would not recommend for more than 2, but c'mon just pay for another room!) There is where a lot of complaints seem to be coming from. It is good for the hotel to try and fit 3/4 in a room as I can imagine it would be very good value for money. But they should make people aware that a lot of space will be compromised, or people should just have some common sense that it is not a family room!

Anyway, location is pretty excellent. Bus stop nearby or it is a 5 min walk down a slight hill from the Balmoral. There are plenty of restaurants in the area, however there were some shady characters and beggars on the streets at night if you turn right out the hotel and up the hill. Nothing that was a problem though and something typical of cities all over the Europe.

The hotel has done a fantasic job of refurbishing the inside and kept the outside in-keeping with the local area. I love the little nooks that make this holiday inn express stand out from others. However due to the age of the building there is no air-conditioning in the room (something we needed in august) and the hallways were very hot and lacking natural light. I e-mailed the hotel the day before to request a high floor room with a great view and got one of the best views on the top floor (room 614) looking out down to Leith.
The bathroom was very clean and modern, shower lovely and liked the little extras i.e. toothpaste you could pick up from reception. Bed was very spongy and good selection of pillows.

Another gripe reviewers seem to have is the reception staff. I found them to be the most attentive I have seen in a long while. Especially considering the strain festival season must bring on them. As soon as I walked through the door I was greeted and up to the room in minutes. They couldnt do enough for you, as I kept coming back to put things in the safe, collect free internet vouchers and grab some complimentary toiletries.

Breakfast was lovely, however on holiday I am used to a cooked breakfast. But there were lovely fresh croissants on offer as well as yogurts, fruit and brand cereals. There was always plenty of room as the bar accommodated extra guests.

Overall the only gripe was the walk up the hill to the centre, but compared to other hotels in a better location, the holiday inn express wins on price every time and is worth the 5 min walk!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Mgtresponse, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre, responded to this review, October 19, 2009
Dear Eygptfan86
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to leave such a great review of Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre. I was delighted to read your comments about the bedrooms, location, Reception team and breakfast. I will make sure that I pass your review on to all of the team so that they can keep up the high standards that you expect from Holiday Inn Express. I look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh on a future visit.
Kind Regards
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights along with our infant. They had all basic fecilities and the staff were very helpful. Only 2 issues we faced, one was the entrance had stairs to picking the buggy to enter and again to get access to the lifts was bit of a pain. Also the breakfast was good but would have hoped to get some hot food items served.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Thank you for the review of Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre. I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to have good basic facilities and helpful staff. As the hotel is located in a Georgian listed building there are stone steps leading to Reception on Picardy Place. Our team try to offer help if they see someone in need of assistance at the front of the hotel. As an alternative, there is also an entrance located on Broughton Street Lane with level access along a cobbled street.
Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review and I look forward to seeing you in Scotland again.
Best wishes
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

Stayed 5 nights in 08/2009. Room spotless and very adequate for two, breakfast excellent (continental). Hotel ideally located, 100m from Princes Street, next door to shopping mall with everything. Room not airconditioned (thankfully - as always too hot and stuffy in British and European hotels) but there was a fan - old fashioned but adequate and effective!

We would like to have been able to open the window more fully than the usual few inches at the top to create more circulation but this applies to every hotel we have ever stayed at in Britain and Europe.

We will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind message about Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre. I was glad to hear that you found the hotel to be clean, friendly and in an ideal location. As always, I have passed your comments on to our hotel team.
Many thanks
Philip
Queens, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

I wasn't worried when booking a Holiday Inn hotel - wrong. Express hotels are only for sleeping, not necessarily comfort. The room was awfully small for three adults and had little space for opening luggage. The shower was a little weak. Our third adult was given a low, thin pull-out sofa to sleep on and was very uncomfortable and stiff for our flight home. Breakfast is all cold food which is OK but unexpected for these rates. We stayed on a Saturday night and the pubs nearby were hopping late into the night, making it hard to sleep. There are 9 parking spaces so, if you get one, don't let it go. The location was good with parking on nearby streets available for nighttime. Staff we dealt with were either very helpful or very curt. 15 minute internet access is provided. I wouldn't recommend it for a long stay based on our experience.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving a review of Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre. As you have said, Express hotels are designed for sleeping and they are ideal for short stays rather than long stays. I am sorry that you found the bedroom size to be unacceptable. Our city centre location and limited car parking is adviertised on our web-site and through our central reservations system so that guests know what to expect prior to arrival. I am sorry if you perhaps missed the information but I was glad to hear that you found the location to be good. Thank you again for taking the time to leave a review and I hope that you will give the hotel another try if you are staying in Edinburgh again.
Kind regards
Philip
Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre

Been to Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre? Share your experiences!