I have to say in reading the other reviews, I agree with the reviews made that the hotel has a fantastic location - very central, good bedrooms and with helpful hotel staff. I am not sure how long the hotel has been open but the hotel looks like it has been refurbished or decorated when you get inside.
Everyone in our group found the rooms to be pleasant and comfortable. You can even choose from a choice of soft and firm pillows on the bed - I have not seen this is other Express hotels. The bathroms have very powerful showers and a funny door set up - the bathroom door is also the toilet / wc door! We stayed here for 3-nights. The rooms have plenty of hanging space in an open style wardrobe with shelves, but I would not like to stay here for a long stay - I would be looking to stay in a Holiday Inn with a wardrobe and more storage space. For our needs, the hotel was great but I would always advise people stay in an Express for short stays / weekends away with the family etc.
Some of my colleagues had rooms that faced the front of the hotel with big old fashioned windows with another window - but no problems with noise from outside or other guests. I guess if you don't want to be in the middle of the city centre and you want total peace and quiet then stay outside of the city!
As per the other hotels in this chain, there is a continental breakfast selection included in the room rate on a balcony level above the main Reception and bar - plenty of choice and fresh. What really makes this hotel stand out is the staff. Everyone made everyone in our group feel welcome and nothing was too much trouble from booking a taxi to giving us directions to the conference centre. I really appreciate that everyone was down to earth and they wanted to help - the manager even offered to lend us an umbrella while we went outside for a cigaratte. it was great to see that they noticed the small things - I often find that this kind of service is missing from 4 and 5 star hotels, never mind that Express is supposed to be a budget place. We left our mobile charger at home and the man working at nightime went out of his way to search through a big box to give us the right adaptor - again we found this to be really good service. I also saw them being equally as friendly with other guests that were staying on leisure. It must be difficult when guests as so many questions but the Reception staff seemed to be handling everything well - even from some high demanding guests who must have throught they were stay in a 5 star hotel! I am a big fan of Holiday Inn - some can be good and some are OK. This one is the best - the staff here went out of their way to help everyone - we saw this in the morning and again in the evening and night time.
The hotel itself is inside a stone terrace building on Picardy Place and is not a purpose built hotel. Very little Holiday Inn Express signage but I guess they can't put up a huge sign with the hotel being in the middle of a World Heritage City and it would spoil the building! The lobby and bar were very comfortable with booth seats - we loved the choice of whisky. I use Express & Holiday Inn all over the country for business and leisure trips and this one was faultless. I am a lighter sleeper and I had put a request on my internet booking for a quiet room away from the main street and lift etc. We were given a room facing the small car park at the back and this was fine - no noise at all and my wife and I always had a refreshing sleep. Although I am sure we would have been ok with a front room and no one else in our group found it to be noisy. The hotel staff were also very good about some of our group looking to check in early and they kept our bags locked in their porters store after check out.
I stayed at the Edinburgh Central hotel for business with my wife and colleagues and it was handy for walking to George Street for dinner when we came back from a conference at the Edinburgh Conference Centre. The area around the hotel also has plenty of eating places and bars. There is a cinema and fitness gym across the road with a Frankie and Benny's, Chinese buffet, pub, Slug & Lettuce and La Tasca tapas. One night went to Smokestack around the corner from the hotel for steaks. It is on a street with other bars, restaurants and deli type / coffee shop places - they all looked popular with the locals.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Free Internet Access and Free Hot Breakfast. Simply ask for an internet voucher at check in. The hotel offers continental breakfast buffet plus two daily hot options. Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre is a 5 minute walk to Princes Street & a 10 minute walk to the Royal Mile. Located near the St James Shopping Centre & Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre. The hotels offers free luggage storage and has designated smoking bedrooms. All bedrooms & public areas have high-speed wired & wireless internet access provided by Swisscom. All rates include complimentary EXPRESS START breakfast for all persons. The hotel is within walking distance of Waverley Railway Station and St Andrews Square Bus Station. The Airlink 100 Bus goes from Waverely Bridge to Edinburgh Airport in 25-minutes. Holiday Inn Express Edinburgh City Centre is located near Broughton Street, George Street & Queen Street. The hotel is across from the Omni Centre with a choice of restaurants & a Vue Cinema. This Edinburgh City Centre hotel is a perfect choice if you are looking for a base near Edinburgh Castle, The Real Mary Kings Close , Edinburgh Dungeons and Holyrood or for events at Murryfield Stadium, Corn Exchange, Hearts Football Club, Hibernian Football Club or Meadowbank Stadium. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, IHG, Orbitz, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo, Despegar.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre Hotel Edinburgh
- Holiday Inn Express - Edinburgh City Centre Scotland