“Brilliant photography tour” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Iconic Edinburgh Photo Tours

Iconic Edinburgh Photo Tours
4/5 Dean Path | Meets outside St Giles Cathedral, Edinburgh EH4 3BA, Scotland (Old Town)
+44 7944 483657
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: It took one year for this tour to become one of the top few activities to do in Edinburgh as it's much more than just a photo tour and we welcome everyone regardless of camera type and ability. With us you get to: *Learn more about your camera and find out out to compose the perfect photo with local photographers who have worked for publications such as Lonely Planet and had their worked exhibited and sold worldwide. *Find out about Edinburgh's fascinating past. *Visit places that have inspired books famous the world over that you probably didn't even know came from Edinburgh. *For whisky lovers, or this just curious about drams, add in whisky flights at the Single Malt Whisky Society where you'll get to taste the best whisky Scotland has on offer. Private photo tours last 3 hours and cost £95 for the first person and £25pp thereafter. Group tours require 4 people to start, last 3 hours with a 25 minute break in the middle and cost £35pp. We are also starting some smart phone only tours soon, check out our website for more details. For whisky tasting we have two options, 1 whisky with a starter of haggis, neeps and tatties in whisky sauce for £12.50pp, or try a 3 whisky flight for £25pp. Please note whisky tastings are not available after Sunday morning and evening tours. Tours leave from the steps in front of the main entrance to St.Giles Cathedral, across the street from Royal Mile Whiskies and behind the statue of the Duke of Buccleuch. Mon-Sunday tours leave at 9.30AM, 2.00PM and 6.00PM subject to availability. Private tours starting early (7.00am) are also available for those wishing to miss the crowds.
Edinburgh
“Brilliant photography tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The photography tour that Will conducted was nothing short of brilliant.

We had the tour on a Sunday night and what a great 4 hours it was. The weather was pretty horrible and Will offered to amend the tour but I insisted that we carry on and Will duly obliged. As a newcomer to DSLR Will spent time talking through the features of the camera and giving me some informative advise.

We spent the remainder of the time walking round Edinburgh and taking some great pictures along the way. This mixed in with Wills enthusiasm and historical knowledge of Edinburgh made for a truly great evening.

Make sure you are wearing good footwear as there will be walking involved and check the weather.....

I will certainly booking to go again.

Visited October 2013
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Edinburgh Photo Tours, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for the very kind review Stephen, it is much appreciated.

It was a shame the weather was not so good, horizontal rain is never much fun but I'm very happy you learned so much about your camera in such a short space of time and you put that knowledge to good effect and got some stunning images. It's rarely the case that anyone gets perfect conditions for photography, but if you work around the situations we find ourselves in, there are always ways to get wonderful photos as you proved.

It's also great to hear that you really liked the local history as well, there are so many fascinating stories from Edinburgh that I wish I had longer to share them all.

Many thanks again and I look forward to seeing you for another tour again.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Photography in the City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I had a great time on the tour with Will. Lots of great photography tips and ideas, which really got me thinking differently about how to take my pictures. As a beginner he was very patient, and helpful showing me how to change the settings over and over. He's also a great tour gude showing me some new spots around the city which I've not seen before, and telling me all about the history. It was great fun lurking in the grave yards after dark!

I would definitely recommend this tour to all levels and abilities.

Visited September 2013

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Edinburgh Photo Tours, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I really appreciate hearing your thoughts on the tour.

I'm glad you got a lot out of the photography tips and ideas and as a result you are thinking differently about how to take your pictures.

I'm also very happy to hear you enjoyed our "lurking" around in some places off the usual tourist trails and you found the information about Edinburgh interesting. It is an amazing city we live in and knowing a bit more about it makes it all that little bit more interesting.

Many thanks again for taking the time to write and keep enjoying your adventures with your camera.

Falkirk, Scotland, United Kingdom
“An Education in History and Photography”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Will's enthusiasm for both photography and history makes this tour thoroughly enjoyable. I have visited Edinburgh many times and still he took me parts of the city I had never seen. Combined with this I now have a far better understanding of my camera (Lumix G1) and feel confident that the quality of the photos I take will continue to improve. Comfy footwear is a must!

Visited October 2013
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Edinburgh Photo Tours, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Stuart,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review when I know you must still be enjoying your time off from work, I really appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I'm really happy to hear you enjoyed the tour so much and despite the fact you went to university in Edinburgh and have visited many time that I still managed to take you to some parts of the city you hadn't seen before and I also it was great to have a chat about the more interesting parts of Edinburgh's history.

I'm really glad you understand your camera a lot more now and managed to get it off auto and P mode. You were producing some stunning shots, especially after the sun went down and the lights came up.

Thanks to you too for a thoroughly enjoyable tour.

Rauma, Western Finland, Finland
“Nice tour around Edinburgh ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Walked around Edinburgh and learned some nice facts about the city. Nice tour & I can heartily recommend to anyone. Thanks again Will!

As Will mentions in his emails you should wear comfortable shoes and be ready for the weather. Indeed- This advice goes with Edinburgh as a whole anyway ;).

Got some nighttime photography done as was agreed and I am more than happy with the results.

All in all another satisfied customer!

Visited September 2013
Hi Antti,

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review so soon after your trip to Edinburgh, I really appreciate you making the effort when I know you must be busy.

I'm really happy to hear you are more than happy with the night time shots, Edinburgh really changes it's face at night when the buildings are lit up and you already excellent photo skills got you some amazing results, I really loved the light trail shots and even the cloud movement over some of the monuments.

YES, you really know what I mean in my emails about comfortable shoes and being ready for the weather. Walking Edinburgh isn't easy with all the hills and steps, but as you know it is worth the effort to wear sensible shoes whilst on this tour.

All the best for your photography adventures.

Gold Coast
30 attraction reviews
“Will's outdoor photography course and tour is a must do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Will is so patient and a brilliant teacher. He has such a relaxed way of teaching and is able to explain concepts very simply and in a way that you don't forget them. The three hour course was over in a flash, but I came away wanting to take my camera with me everywhere. The fear factor of not being able to master my camera was gone.
Will makes you see the sights of Edinburgh in a novel way and fills you in on interesting historical facts as you wander around the city. His enthusiasm is contagious and it is all thanks to Will that my photographic skills improved exponentially.
I cannot recommend his photography tour highly enough.

Visited August 2013
Willrobb, Owner at Iconic Edinburgh Photo Tours, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hi Bron,

Many thanks for taking the time to write (love the tripadvisor name as well :-) such a wonderful review. I'm really happy to hear you want to take your camera everywhere and you have now lost the fear factor in using your camera. Once you know a few simple things it all fits into place nicely as you have proved.

I'm always happy to hear people like the historical facts too, as well as getting great photos it's always nice to know a bit about what we are photographing.

All the best for your future travels, keep taking your camera everywhere and hope to see you in Scotland again some day.

Best wishes and thanks again for taking the time to write.