“Gorgeous Property, Amazing Views, Excellent Service!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   34 Bread Street, Edinburgh EH3 9AF, Scotland (South Side)   |
Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #52 of 144 Hotels in Edinburgh
Springvale, Maine
“Gorgeous Property, Amazing Views, Excellent Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My husband and I stayed at this newly refurbished hotel for 3 nights recently. We took a very quick trip to Edinburgh for his 40th birthday and chose this hotel based on location. The hotel is gorgeous from the moment you pull up to the curb. Florin at the front desk checked us in and we saw him several times over the weekend- what a friendly, fun and helpful person!
Our room had a great view of the castle and it was quite big for UK standards. The floor to ceiling black out curtains really helped adjust to the time difference. The bathroom was very nicely done and the water pressure was excellent.
The whole hotel has complimentary WiFi and we received free breakfast with my HiltonHonors Gold status. The restaurant is the Bread Street Brasserie- breakfast was very good and the dinner was excellent!
This hotel offers a very quick walk every where that we went- especially to the Cowgate and the Royal Mile areas of the city. I will stay here again for sure!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Edinburgh, Dominica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I booked early so got good rate. Hotel room was clean tidy and the bed very comfortable... I slept on next day with no disturbance. Location central to Edinburgh amenities. I would of liked Hotel bar to stay open later.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Got put in room 123, although had phoned twice before arriving to confirm that room suitable for swimmer who need to be up very early to compete as Scottish Short Course. But got the room above the pub, which had extremely loud music and chat (I could hear every record the words and all) until about 1.30am. Did get moved for the next night to a nicer room with no music.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Good business-oriented hotel. Clean, modern, if slightly boring. On arrival I was offered a choice rooms, I was able to select either a castle-view room on the 1st floor, or a quiet room in the back of the hotel. As this was a business trip, and I particularly value my sleep I chose the quiet room. It was indeed wonderfully quiet. Coupled with a comfortable bed I had no trouble getting a good sleep each night.

The warm cookie on arrival was a nice touch as was the basket of complimentary apples on the front desk.

Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Very good hotel and well positioned for city & Conference Centre. Want to re-book for next year (Dec 2015)but price has gone from £85 per night to £250 per night. That is too expensive, shame! Staff in hotel are very friendly and helpful and the bar and restaurant are relaxing and comfortable, not worth £250 though!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Livingston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

what you would come to expect of a hilton, but for me cleanliness tops the bill. super king size bed. ticks all the boxes for me, especially the warm cookie on arrival. waiter service could be a bit sharper

Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Spent 3 nights at this hotel Friday to Monday. On our booking request, we had asked for a quiet room away from the lifts. Check in was fine, we were presented with a warm cookie each. We unpacked in Room 330 and went out and about in Edinburgh for a short while. On coming back, I had a lie down, but kept hearing noises, and realised that the lift shaft was in the corner of our bedroom and we could clearly hear each floor being announced. I went back down to reception to ask to change the room. So we had to repack all of our things. We were allocated a room on the fourth floor. I noticed I had left some items in a drawer so went back to reception. The staff there went with me to the room, to find out that the master key didn't work, so had to go back down to reception for another key! The room was the same as the previous floor but without the lift noise. On speaking to one of the reception staff, it appears that the person who checked us in probably wouldn't have known the layout of the building, which was no help to us, especially as we had specifically asked to be away from lifts! Room was fine, bed extremely comfortable and cosy duvet and pillows. Free safe and fridge in room which were handy. Bathroom only had a shower and not a bath. The sink had a large crack in it, which I wouldn't have expected from a 4 star hotel. We had booked in for breakfast which on our first morning wasn't too bad, the staff were very pleasant but weren't allocated to specific roles, the person who got your coffee or tea also cleared the tables and went to the kitchen for orders. I asked for pancakes but was told that the did not have any maple syrup, it was only about 915am! Food good quality, but if it was busy, there was only really one feeding station for hot food. The only fruit uncut was grapefruit. The next morning, it was a bit chaotic, so we ordered poached eggs in case they were forgotten, but they were done very quickly, so I had the eggs before my cereal! Third morning, we ordered 2 eggs each, and ended up with 2 to share, my estimations weren't particularly high by them so didn't bother to ask for 2 more. I think this is something that could definitely be improved upon. We had a drink in the bar on the Sunday night, my husband ordered an 80 shilling beer and the waitress, very friendly, didn't understand what he was asking for, so we had to show her on the menu. I ordered a cocktail. In between pouring half of my husbands drink, the waitress left to get food for other people sitting there. I could hear her smashing ice, and when my cocktail came over, it was full to the brim with large chunks of ice, and she said that the ice machine was broken. Whilst the cocktail was nice, it was barely 2 mouthfuls at a cost of £7.50! The staff as I said were friendly, but as english wasn't their first language, made for some confusion. If I'd been staying at say a Premier Inn my expectations wouldn't have been particularly high (no offence) but I was certainly disappointed in my stay especially as it was for my birthday.

Room Tip: make sure you don't get room 330 as the conference centre lift shaft is behind the wall! Rooms...