“Great new edition to the shore, Leith” 5 of 5 stars

+44 131 563 5293
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Vintage is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #355 of 1,982 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Great new edition to the shore, Leith”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Have visited here twice now once with family and once as a couple, both times were a delight. The ambience is excellent with friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff. The beer selection is tremendous and regularly changing with a short but interesting selection of wines, the Romanian Sauvignon being particularly nice. Food is excellent with a very wide range of interesting, quirky dishes with real skill shown in the kitchen mixing flavours and cuts of meat and fish. Vegetarians are well catered for also, not often the case in Leith. Between us we sampled the jugged Rabbit, truffled lardo, air dried ham, red mullet, crispy pigs ears, ballottine of rabbit, chowder, rump steak and others I have forgotten, the Rhubarb Panacotta was fantastic with amazing strips of dried Orange peel strips adding a sharpness to an outstanding dessert. All in all a great place and deserves to do well, congratulations Darren on creating a great new addition to a crowded food scene in Leith, this place will do well, go now before it becomes difficult to get a booking.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Hip Little Corner Bar”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

The revitalized Vintage Bar is pretty much my new local. Offering a nice alternative to Sofi's, it has very friendly staff and a great range of food and drinks available.
Duncan the barman is happy to let you taste the large range of craft beers to select the right one, and the food is a lovely mix of charcuterie/tapas offerings and more traditional gastro pub entries.
I can recommend the home made burger, and my friend cleared his plate of jugged hare.
I've already spent a few evening ssitting att he bar in here, and no doubt, I'll continue to do so; it's got a good atmosphere and nice vibe without being pretentious - a difficult mix.
On a final note, this may be one to watch for the summer, as I understand the owners are hoping to strike a deal with the Scotch Malt Whisky society across the road to use their courtyard in summer....now that'd be a treat!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Take a bow, you deserve it.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I pass this place most days and recently saw some movement of workmen inside which had me wondering 'What Next' ???
I can recall this place as a local pub called The Vintage which was busy but uninspiring. Kind of spit n sawdust place.
Then Cafe Fish came along but didn't seem to hit it off despite its close proximity to the Michelin Star and other quality eateries. The pricing was a problem I think.
Last week on seeing this place open for business I was happy to see the old name re-instated and the interior nicely laid out decorated (albeit courtesy of a bit of Cafe Fish's modernisation).
The Charcuterie section of the menu had me intrigued and I knew I just had to get a table there with my good lady ASAP.
On seeing the menu online (its worth a read I tell you) she declined the thought of the Charcuterie meats but the rest of the food certainly had her interested. The decision had us heading there for a lovely evening.
We had a great table next to the Pass which allowed us to see what was being prepared and sent out.
I ordered 2 selections from the Charcuterie as a starter. The selection is extensive and I decided to have the first two (knowing that I will work my way through the rest on future visits).
The spreading chorizo was fantastic and the hot smoked pigs cheeks equally so. Served with homemade tomato and sherry chutney, sauce gribiche and sourdough bread.
For mains I had the ballotine of rabbit filled with black pudding and the missus had red mullet and back fat chowder.
I almost regreted not having the chowder when I saw it, but that can wait for another day.
The rabbit was plentiful and rich with a good accompaniment of parsnip and apple mash, bacon and seasonal cabbage.
The chowder could have done with some bread but other than that it was greatfully polished off with only a wee taster allowed for me.
The deserts looked excellent with a rhubarb and custard panna cotta being the missus's choice with a couple of coffees as well.
I almost forgot to mention the drinks menu. Its fairly extensive for the beers both draught and bottles along with a decent selection of wines to fit most peoples price range. Draught beer comes in a 2/3 pint schooner which makes having a couple ok for driving afterwards.
I feel I've blethered on a bit but I have to say that the concept is well presented and a welcome change to the other bistro styles in the Leith area.
Its well priced and of excellent quality, what more could you want.
I have to admit having to Google the definition of Charcuterie as it not a term I have heard being mentioned in Leith before, however with The Vintage bringing it to the fore I think a lot of locals and beyond will become familiar with it.

“a perfect lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

went to the vintage for lunch and was blown away by the quality of food for a very reasonable price. Although a small menu it was so hard to choose as everything sounded so good! every mouthful was full of flavour and the drinks menu was also just as tempting. will definately be back!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Beautiful food, drinks and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I went with my dog to Vintage for lunch this afternoon and it was fantastic. Original menu including a whole charcuterie selection made it difficult to choose but I guess I'll just have to keep going until I've tried everything. Fantastic microbrew beer selection. The restaurant welcomes dogs and all the staff were really good with mine. Such a great addition to The Shore.