“Good place to eat” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good place to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed the atmosphere very chilled.Nice food good drinks good music.

I had a burger which was nice.Cloudy cider superb

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh
“Great Food, Great Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

A definite place to stop for lunch. The menu seems to change daily and is not only extensive for pub food, but also very imaginative. The quality is excellent and the staff friendly.

If you're hungry, order the nachos, you wont be disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Awesome nachos and lovely place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Walked past this place a thousand times and finally went in. What were we waiting for?! The decor is fun and relaxing and there are lots of lovely little hidey-holes to sit in.

If you do go order the nachos. They are amazing, as said by plenty of other reviewers before us. They are crispy, clearly freshly cooked and not microwaved and the pineapple salsa is genius. Plenty of cheese and guacamole and sour cream. Personal favourite was the pulled pork version which was to die for.

We also had a cider and a Guinness and the cider was proper cloudy cider rather than branded semi-beer. The bar staff were also lovely.

To recap: Best Nachos in Central Scotland

scotland
“The best nachos I have ever eaten.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I eat nachos. I eat a lot of nachos. I have eaten a lot of nachos in a lot of restaurants all over the world. I have never had nachos that I enjoyed as much as in the 52 canoes.

They. Were. Incredible. I was quite literally speechless as I ate them. I don't consider myself a selfish person at all, but when it comes to nachos it is, in general, a case of "if you touch my nachos I will kill you". These were so good I felt I had to share them, I couldn't keep their awesomeness to myself. They were that good. They were served in a rectangular bowl. Every corner a delight. Sour cream. Guacamole. Jalapenos. Salsa. I could understand some people taking offence at the pineapple content of the salsa. They would be wrong.

Cheese dispersion was perfect (people don't take enough notice of cheese dispersion). Quantity was perfect. Price was stunning. And the remaining point that sent them soaring above any other nachos I have ever eaten was the temperature, which is so often a failing in other establishments. They were piping hot throughout.

The other food looked to be of a similar high quality (granted I've only seen/tasted the burgers, but they too are at the top end of pub food (whereas the nachos are at the top end of food. Period.)

Also, whether it's coincidence or not I don't know, but the first time we were in the barman asked what sort of beers we'd like to see on the taps. At least 2 of the specifically named beers we mentioned have now been on.

I have never had, but I have heard, that the cocktails are really very good.

So, to conclude, my 5* review is based on what this place is. It's a (slightly) themed pub, with top end pub food, and the best nachos you will ever have. If you have better then please let me know where because I want, no I need, to go there.

The staff are friendly. The prices are sensible. The nachos are awesome.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“52 Canoes rocks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This has to be one of my fave bars in Edinburgh! The cocktails are awesome, to food is great and served pretty quick, the staff are really really friendly. It's the kind of place where you feel really relaxed and intimate with the group you are with even when the bar is packed and busy. The staff are never uncomfortably over attentive but always instantly there whenever your glass i empty. Think of everything you could want from a classy, city centre bar and the Deb has it in buckets. Long may it rock on xx

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere