“Lovely friendly hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Twelve Picardy Place

You added Twelve Picardy Place to your Saves list
Twelve Picardy Place
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   12 Picardy Place, Edinburgh EH1 3JT, Scotland (Broughton & Calton)   |
Ranked #45 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Lovely friendly hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed at Twelve Picardy Place for the Valentines weekend. The hotel certainly lived up to the reviews we had read.
The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was trendy with a huge TV at the foot of our bed.
We ate at Steak Edinburgh on our first evening and what a treat. The waitress was brilliant and our Beef Wellington was the best we've ever tasted - so delicious.
We were so impressed with everything that we are planning to return soon. Wonderful weekend.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Twelve Picardy Place is a real gem at the end of Prince Street, okay so it's an extra 5 minute walk but well worth it. As I've been working away in Edinburgh for the last three months I though it would be nice to grab a few days away with my wife in Edinburgh over the half term beak. A couple of my colleagues suggested I have chat with the management team and it was well worth it.
The hotel may only have a small number of rooms but they are a definite 'WOW', the room sizes are amazing, the bathrooms / shower rooms are amazing and the various features in each are absolutely fabulous.
Loch Eck is certainly worth the climb up the 3 flights of stairs.
The staff are really friendly and cannot do too much to help you enjoy your stay. We both enjoyed our 3 days and as such we are both keen to come back again, which from me is the highest complement I can offer, I want to go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Northamptonshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed at this Hotel in January 2014 for two nights for my wifes birthday and had a great time. It is only five minutes walk from Waverley Train Station and is very central. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a bigger room and our cases were carried up the stairs. The room was very big and had the biggest bathroom I have ever seen with an amazing bath and separate shower. The view out of the front of our room was the statue of Sherlock Holmes which was great.
The staff were all so friendly and helpful and genuinely seemed interested in us and the breakfast was nice even though it was continental which is not my favourite.
We had drinks in the bar each night with great service and a nice cocktail for my wife and we ate at the adjoining restaurant STEAK which was amazing. We also got a £20 voucher for STEAK as we booked with Secret Escapes.
All in all we had a great time and would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again if we came to Edinburgh. My only gripe would be the noise outside the hotel each morning at about 1am which woke me up however I understand this can't be controlled by the Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

I stayed at 12 Picardy Place at the end of January to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. We live in Edinburgh but I wanted to find somewhere for a luxurious night away. 12 Picardy Place exceeded expectations!

The staff at 12 Picardy Place are fantastic, and were very helpful prior to arrival, helping me find the right deal with the Steak restaurant, and of course, were very lovely during our stay, providing a warm welcome and helping with all our requests.

We stayed in Loch Katrine which was stunning. Our room was so beautiful and very clean, with high attention to detail. It was the nicest bathroom I had ever seen! Considering it is in the very centre of Edinburgh, I think the room was very quiet (facing back). It was also very warm despite it being a bitterly cold day.

We ate at the Steak restaurant in the evening which was very good - a unique building. We also had cocktails at the bar in the hotel which I'd highly recommend - the Mojitos were perfect.

Thanks to all the staff at this lovely hotel for making our weekend perfect. I hope we will be back!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I had been looking online for somewhere special to take my mother for a combined Christmas/birthday present when I came across this lovely little boutique hotel close to Princes Street in Edinburgh. The first thing that attracted me to this hotel was its location as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born in Picardy Place and there's a rather nice statue just in front of the building. We’re both fans of the great detective so, having read the encouraging reviews and liking the look of the place my decision was made - and what a good decision it was!

The hotel is a short walk from Waverley Station. There's a busy roundabout nearby but Twelve Picardy Place itself is set among a charming row of Georgian townhouses. We arrived early so left our luggage in a secure room, filled in some forms, ordered a newspaper for the morning and informed the lady at the reception what time we'd be down for breakfast. We also had a quick look around the lounge area which, with its lovely fireplace, muted tones and Sherlock armchairs was so inviting that we had to drag ourselves away as we had a city to explore!

When we finally saw our room we were thrilled! Each bedroom is totally unique, the focal point being the beautiful murals depicting Scottish landscapes which give the rooms their names. We stayed in the Loch Shiel suite, which is stunning. Incredibly spacious and comfortable, tastefully decorated with everything you would expect from a good hotel and more - there's a huge 3D HD-LED tv with SKY channels at the foot of the bed and there's also a massage chair. The hotel also offers complimentary wifi but I didn't try it out so can't comment on the signal strength. The bathroom is, perhaps, the biggest bathroom I've ever seen in my life and honestly, it's nicer than a lot of hotel rooms I've stayed in! The bed was very comfortable and despite the sound of traffic from outside, I fell asleep straight away.

Breakfast was included in the price and, having read the reviews, was better than expected, although if we were staying on a room only basis we probably would have tried somewhere local instead for a full Scottish breakfast, there are plenty of places to choose from.

We also tried the steak restaurant next door and really enjoyed our meal.

I would highly recommend Twelve Picardy Place for anyone planning a trip to Edinburgh and wanting to stay somewhere special. My only regret is that we only stayed one night!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Me and my boyfriend (18&19years old) stayed at this hotel over the christmas period for 2 nights. We booked the executive suite which was so worth it! We were on floor 3, not a very good view but room was lovely! Huge wet room with a television next to the bath. Fab pics on and television had sky movies too. Only prob was there was no lift, walking up 3 flights of stairs in heels wasn't easy. The hotel is directly across from the playhouse where we booked tickets for lion king. The hotels restaurant is a bit pricey but loads of restaurants around the hotel. Didn't experience much service from staff to say it was good. Only thing that put me off was that i left my phone charger plug in the room and called back a few hours later when I realised I left it to be told that it wasn't there and they couldn't find it...

• Stayed December 2013
Windsor, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

Stumbling across the hotel on Expedia I decided to book a long weekend. I'm so glad I did as I wouldn't stay anywhere else now in Edinburgh! It of course has many of the comforts you'd expect of a great boutique hotel but what really differentiates it is the intimacy and the fabulous service from everyone who works there! The welcome on arrival was warm and friendly, any queries whilst we were there dealt with efficiently and friendly, personal service at breakfast and at the bar was fantastic! I can't remember the name of the guy who helped us with our wifi and heating query but we was truly great and genuinely helpful! The location is great, the rooms are chic and extremely comfortable (we loved the ultra cool shower) and the restaurant Steak, was fantastic! The steak tartare was amazing (amongst the best I've had)! So stay there, eat there, relax there. It's genuinely fab and we'll be back soon!

• Stayed February 2014
michele c, Front Office Manager at Twelve Picardy Place, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Hi there,

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us here at Twelve Picardy Place. Please don't hesitate to email us directly at reception@twelveandsteak.com or call us (0131 556 1289) to allow us to offer the best rates available.

Kind Regards,

All at Twelve Picardy Place

Been to Twelve Picardy Place? Share your experiences!