“You would be Mad to Miss Madogs!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Glenrothes, United Kingdom
“You would be Mad to Miss Madogs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I would say I am a fairly seasoned traveller when it comes to reviews - look at my number - and Madogs really is my favourite place in Edinburgh for many reasons, as I shall elaborate on.

I used to come here previously when it was more a pub/night club, and those days were interesting enough - But, it always quickly became really rowdy back then.

In contrast, when I was walking past (probably sept 2012) - I noticed a sign on the street, and decided since I was on my own I would pop in and see how it was, to try it out again. Well, what a shock! Since then, I have returned 2or 3 times a week, sometimes for food, sometimes for drinks, sometimes for both!

Firstly, the bar area has amazing lighting, lovely decor, and a very warm welcoming atmosphere - thats a huge plus for any place. Yet, the eating area is also peaceful and relaxed, and a warm appealing place to come for lunch, dinner, or drinks.

Secondly, the bar staff are incredibly friendly and welcoming, and I can say for sure anyone & everyone would feel welcome by every member of the staff here.

Thirdly, the drinks here are like works of art! If you order a cocktail, be prepared for the staff to spend time making sure it not only tastes heavenly! But looks stunning also! Thomasz truly has the knack of making the best cocktails to be fair, but they all do a great job. Kasia regularly goes and gets my favourite beer from upstairs when its not in stock (It's Peroni Red, you have to try it, if you like beer) - Now thats real cutomer service! From the manageress as well!! She is a star!

Finally, the food - The food is awesome! I have now tried 4 different items from the Menu, and everyone is cooked to perfection, and tastes awesome! If you like a real burger, give it a try (The british bulldog, or the bacon & brie) They are huge, from freshy ground beef, and the size of burger quite incredible! (It comes alongside a lovely side-salad & chips or baked pototo) - Many other appealing dishes on the menu to try!

Overall I certainly give this place a 5 out of 5, and would firmly recommend it too anyone for almost any occasion. I would not feel afraid too invite either any of my friends, my family, my colleagues here in the future.

A true gem of a place, and a remarkable turn around for Elio, Kasia, and her team!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Penicuik, United Kingdom
“Night or day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Having been there many years ago I was surprised when my friend said it had been done up and was very nice.

We went in had a few drinks the bar staff were and still are friendly.

A few visits after the staff recommend drinks which we might like (an old traditional if you like jack daniels) we also tried the burgers they were amazing massive plate which made me and my friend stuffed but there was no way we were leaving any of it behind.

Highly recommend it one of the best places to eat and drink in edinburgh

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Fab lunch with amazing cocktails and lovely staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Christmas Eve lunch spent here.

Food was delicious. We had the nachos to share to start with - WOW! There were lots on that plate! We were both so full after sharing them that we had to delay our main course over and over again - which the waitress was extremely happy to do so.

We had so much friendly banter with the waitress and she really helped us enjoy our time in the cocktail bar. We were not disappointed with our main course when it came, we both had burger with brie and it was very yummy.

Once we had finished our lunch we continued sipping very nice cocktails in the bar area. The staff were very friendly and accommodating.

This place does not look like anything special from the outside, but walking down the steps into that place, you forget you are in the basement. It is beautifully lit, there are some gorgeous feature - such as a big piano and all the staff were amazing.

Visited December 2012
Lanark, United Kingdom
“Faultless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

My friend and I visited Madogs for dinner on a voucher deal and the meal was superb, the cocktails were very good and not overpriced. The waitress was very helpful and as we were there some time it was clear the staff were good with all customers. The atmosphere was bright and cheery, hassle free and the toilets were spotless and beautifully designed.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Not a hint of the old Madogs in sight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

As a longtime Edinburgh resident I was used to the old Madogs - cheap, dingy and with a generally young and 'lively' crowd. I had noticed the revamp and purchased a voucher to see what the new Madogs was all about. I can honestly say I was completely bowled over by the new decor inside - classy, welcoming, funky, it was fantastic. The new dining area was very well laid out with laid tables complete with candles. The service was excellent with our waitress incredibly friendly and polite.
The food was absolutely fantastic - plentiful portions, well presented and very tasty. We had tempura cajun chicken and salt & pepper calamari to start, followed by two absolutely enormous rib eye steaks. Both were booked perfectly as asked, and we were even asked what dressing we would like on the side salad which was a nice touch. The accompanying cocktail was delicious.
After the starters we had already said we would definitely go back and pay full price.
Highly recommended!!