“Muy Bueno” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Scotland
“Muy Bueno”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We had a meal here tonight courtesy of an itison voucher which gave us £70 of food for £25. When I purchased the voucher all the reviews of this restaurant were glowing, however I was a bit anxious to discover the most recent reviews were not so positive.
However we went along hoping things wouldn't be as bad as it sounded and thankfully we had a very good experience.
The restaurant is very nicely laid out on different levels, simply furnished with a nice rustic feel.
We were warmly welcomed and shown to our table where we were given menus and our waiter explained what we could choose for our voucher. We were delighted to find we could choose our seven tapas dishes from anything on the menu without restriction. This is not always the case when presenting a voucher in many restaurants.
We were firstly presented with bread and delicious aioli along with a platter of meat, cheese and olives, before our tapas arrived. Each dish we chose including a variety from the meat, fish and vegetable sections of the menu were well cooked, nicely presented and delicious.
The sangria that came with our meal was really nice and I also had a glass of red wine, which I asked the waiter to choose for me, and it was fantastic.
Every member of staff we encountered during our visit were extremely helpful and friendly making our evening a great success.
I wouldn't hesitate in returning to this restaurant again and would highly recommend it to anyone.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh
“Fine. But don't go too far out of your way.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you like cheap Spanish tapas chains, come here to educate your palate because it is better than those. If you like real Spanish food, prepare to be disappointed. I mean, it’s fine – but only fine – and would probably be better with friends.

Pay £17 and you get a tapas selection of the chef’s choice. The trouble is, you might not like half of them. There is too much bread, dishes we had asked not to have (shellfish) and dishes that just weren’t very nice (croquettes).

It has potential, and some dishes were good, but there are better Spanish restaurants just around the corner. Good service and decent wine.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Our experience at la Mula Obstinada can only be described as grotesque”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

We decided to go for the Taster Menu, and the first disappointment was on the table in the first 20 minutes (yes, they take too long in between dishes), Serrano Ham and chorizo platter. Right! The chorizo came from the cheapest, lowest-quality packs one can get at the supermarket. The ham, on the other hand, was some sort of smoked ham, which is not even a product from Spain! After another good 15 minutes the waitress brought a “Mexican Tortilla”; seriously, if I wanted Mexican food why would I go to a tapas bar!?. But, this dish actually was a burnt and broken Spanish tortilla topped with "orange" Cheddar. When we asked for a second bottle of wine, the waitress came up with the story that they ran out of wine; however, they could only sell wine by the glass, this is when we started feeling that these people were insulting our intelligence.
I could go on with examples of the terrible quality of the ingredients used by this restaurant and the unprofessional way of cooking them. Everything else that came to our table was soggy in frying oil, burnt or rotten! One of the last tapas: grilled langoustines had a rotten langoustine; it was was very unpleasant, and obviously ended the night.
We would never recommend this place or go back there. One of the beauties of Spanish cuisine is the freshness and quality of the ingredients; well, they got it all wrong and tried to fool us all.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Firstly, I would like to explain that I have never submitted a review previously. My wife and I are the type who try to make the best of things. However, I felt that a few words were needed following our trip to La Mula Obstinada, to help those considering paying a visit. Like the previous reviewer, we were attracted by the Itison voucher deal, £25 for 2 people for a slap up meal of ham and cheese platter starter and 7 tapas worth £70 (seemingly). I had a quick look at Trip Advisor and saw numerous very good reviews so we decided to take up the offer. We our 2 daughters too, so bought 2 vouchers. We booked for 6pm on a Friday, which is when the restaurant opens. We arrived prompt but the doors were locked. After peering through the window for a minute, we were noticed and let in. Not unexpectedly for opening time, the restaurant was empty so ambience was non existent. Perhaps it improves later in the evening, I don't know. The first real dissapointment was when we learned that we would not be allowed to choose 7 tapas per couple, but instead 7 tapas for the table. We were assured however that they would be double size portions. The next dissapointment was when one of the tapas dishes my wife ordered was not available. Nor was her next choice! Third time lucky. Next problem was the size of the dishes - if they were double size I'd dread to think what normal size is! A wine list was not available but a small blackboard was presented with some relatively expensive wines scribbled on. My suspicions aroused by now, I couldn't help but wonder if this is a ploy to increase prices. We asked instead for a jug of Sangria and were told it would be £14.95. The waitress returned a couple of minutes later explaining that it was, in fact, £16.95.
The food itself was also dissapointing, especially the monkfish (see previous reviewer's baby octopus comment!) and mussels. We will not return.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Awful food and mediocre service unfortunately”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We used a recent Itison voucher to try this place- £25 for £70 of tapas and sangria. We were really excited to try it as we have had a few nice tapas meals out in Edinburgh before.
Unfortunately this place was very third rate- very slow service, with one dish being brought out at a time. Maybe this is normal in some tapas places but it meant I received my veggie dish and my partner received his meat dish about half an hour later! I normally expect all the tapas to be brought together so you can pick at different things- not wolf down a load of aubergines and wait ages for your next dish!
Halfway through our meal we were told that a few dishes weren't available and we were also given one incorrect dish. To be fair, once we pointed this out, the waiter rectified this.
During our meal we were never asked if we wanted another drink, despite us sitting with empty glasses.

The food was very mediocre- the patatas bravas was very good but the rest was quite bland, in fact some dishes were disgusting. One dish, meant to contain monkfish, squid and shellfish, contained mainly squid and baby octopus. Almost no monkfish! To top it off, tasted like it was cooked in ancient dirty sea water.
The sangria was watered down tasting also.

On the plus side, the staff were very friendly and apologised several times to us- for the delay, mix up with orders etc. The general ambience and decor was very nice also.
Feel terrible leaving such a bad review but without the voucher deal, it's quite expensive and I'd hate someone to pay this for such a poor meal!
I can't see this place being open long- particularly when there are some lovely tapas places in the city.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere