“Great recommendation!” 5 of 5 stars

Description: Near Fountain Park
Bath, United Kingdom
“Great recommendation!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This was recommended to us by our hotel which is also located in the west of Edinburgh centre. We needed a bit to eat before our 10 minutes walk to princes street. A real gem next to the surrounding chain eateries of a near shopping centre. We were welcomed with great efficient service and fantastic food. We will be back , thank you.

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Every time I walked by The Fountain it was always packed; especially in the warmer months. My coworkers and I enjoy coming here for a drink or two after work and I love taking my friends here. It has updated its look and has a great atmosphere. The best part is the service. All of the staff are so helpful and friendly! I love coming here on a night out with my husband, or drinks with friends or colleagues, or just to get away and work on the lap top in one of the overstuffed leather chairs! It's a wonderful place with wonderful staff.
Oh, and the food is good too!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely place, food was nice but could be better and service not attentive.. very VERY slow!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We came to "The Fountion" restaurant as we always seem to pass her while we go to fountion park and we had drinks before but we decided we have dinner as the place looks lovely. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the restaurant as it starts off as a bar but turns into a restaurant tucked away at the back. This place gives us a homely atmosphere, it is beautifully decorated and has nice log fire on so it creates a warming feeling. Its like sitting in your own kitchen dining table, i felt so comfortable.

The menu is apparently French inspired, it consisted a abit of everything.. from your fish and chips to burgers to salads. I ordered the mussels as a main with chips as the side and my other half ordered the shin of beef with seasonal greens. Portions were reasonable and pricing was good. My mussel was full of lovely flavors but i could only wish that the mussels inside were bigger as most of it was the size of the tip of my small finger. My other half said his beef pie to be 9/10, the pie was piping hot and looked amazing. He praises it alot, as the size was just right for him. The restaurant DID get this right - THANKS ;)!

I am a big fan of banoffee pie but saddened that it contained nuts so my other half had it instead while i enjoyed a warm hot drink. The banoffee pie, in short was described to me as a huge disappointment. A banoffee pie should have banana inside which this one fails to have or if it did have.. must have been microscopic because he couldnt taste or see any. He summed it up by saying, he paid £5 for cream and nothing much more.

Service started very well, but because so little staff was on (maybe about 3) to cover the bar AND the restaurant. They hardly made a decent conversation with us, just a general check back here and there. But the worst part was when we asked for the bill, it took them at least 10 or not 15mins to being it back. Around us, plates weren't really cleared either, i blame much of it to just not having enough staff on. We decided to just pay at the bar instead, to put them out of their misery as we probably have to wait another 10 minutes.

Lovely place, food was nice but could be better and service not attentive.. very VERY slow! Im not sure if il be back, maybe the bar but not for the food.. sorry!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“relaxing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

This was a pleasant place to sit for a leisurely lunch but I was slightly disappointed at the price and standard of the food. The service was attentive and we were asked if everything was ok a few times. The thing if it wasn't not ok it just wasn't great. Three of us had the haddock and chips which were served with the tiniest portion of 'smashed' peas.Two had the Sunday roast which they enjoyed though at £16 for the beef it was a bit pricey. I think overall it was fine just a bit expensive for what you get.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Cork, Ireland
“A New Favourite Find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Since discovering The Fountain myself and my boyfriend have been frequenting it...probably too frequently for our own good! I really like the style of this gastropub. The food is all delicious. Great fish and chips. Usually big portions - good quality food - and usually good value. I was let down on one occasion when I ordered the sharing platter and there wasn't much to share!

Whilst the food overall is great, the drinks on the other hand are a bit overpriced. I was a big taken by surprise on a recent visit when our two drinks (a small wine and a craft beer) came to £12. The service is okay...its still relatively new and I think they're still figuring a few things out.

Despite its minor shortcomings I would highly recommend The Fountain as a nice place to have a relaxing meal or to have a drink before or after seeing a movie across the road. Its not really a place to go for a big night out drinking - its not that kind of scene and few could afford it!

• Visited September 2012