“Beyond Our Expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chester Residence

You added The Chester Residence to your Saves list
The Chester Residence
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 - 9 Rothesay Place, Edinburgh EH3 7SL, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #1 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
Melbourne, Australia
“Beyond Our Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Having never stayed in a serviced apartment previously, we could not begin to describe our delight in discovering the "Chester Experience". The moment we arrived to the moment we departed, the customer service was exemplary not to mention the wonderful ambience created by a period property displaying many of its original features balanced with modern conveniences including induction cooking facilities, Sky TV, coffee machine, dishwasher etc. The open gas fuelled fire place was a welcome friend upon arrival and upon return each night. Great location, great staff, great experience. What more could one want?
Geoff & Kerri 8/3 apartment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My wife, adult daughter and I spent 3 nights recently at The Chester and we loved it. We stayed in a spacious, modern 2 bedroom apartment that was absolutely fantastic and a lot less expensive than getting 2 rooms in The Balmoral or any other similar hotel. The location in Haymarket is extremely close to The Castle and Old Town - the walk to the base of The Castle is 10 minutes. The staff at The Chester was very friendly and helpful.

Edinburgh is an amazing city. When I go back to Edinburgh, I will definitely stay in The Chester again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Uphall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

What can I say , where do I begin . I have just this morning returned from the best hotel stay I have EVER had ! I rented the owners residence with the huge jacuzzi bath , separate cinema room , rain shower wet room in the ensuite ,state of the art kitchen and 2 huge plasma tvs for our 20th anniversary .
The attention to detail and quality of the design and finishing is second to none . Throw into the mix the best customer service ever , you now have a repeat customer . Whist the receptionist was showing my husband and I how to work the cinema and projector another member of staff had discreetly placed two glasses of champagne and a congratulations card on the kitchen work surface , so when the receptionist was leaving the flat she then pointed to the newly poured glasses and offered her congratulations . Now that is what I called service.
This is the first time I have ever left a review but this hotel is exceptional if you are looking for the wow factor for a romantic get a away this is your go to hotel .
5 starts all round absolutely the best ever !

Glenrothes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

A friend and I stayed here in November 2013 for a night in the Owners Residence. What a fantastic welcome we received- they greeted us and then gave us a small tour of the buildings and then took us to our luxury suite. From the Gucci throw's on the bed to the understated style of the living room, everything was just perfect. There was even a bottle of wine waiting for us in the room! We ordered room service a couple of times throughout the night and each time it was quick and we got exactly what we wanted.
There was a small misunderstanding over a breakfast which was ordered but this was immediately put right by the reception staff when I checked out. Overall, I will be back here in a heartbeat. Even if it is not in the top suite it is well worth treating yourself to a stay at the Chester Residence.

Room Tip: The Owners Residence is such a treat
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Tijuana, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The price was competitive. The service was good, and the location was decent. I enjoyed my stay here, but I don´t think that I would stay here again. We rented the penthouse apartment, and were disappointed to find that we had to climb about 80 steps to get to the elevator-less apartment.

The space was very comfortable, and the apartment´s materials and detailed finishes were nice enough to enjoy it for the time we stayed. I did think, however, that the location could have been better.

As I said before, it was pretty good, but not what we were hoping for. After walking through the city for about 20 miles in three days, we realized that the best place to stay is on Princes Street near the Scott Monument. We weren´t very far, but at night, in the cold, and in the darkness, we would have felt safer and more comfortable being a couple of blocks from a more central location on Princes Street.

As it was, we were about three or four blocks from one end of Princes Street, but since most of the activities are closer to the middle of Princes Street, we found ourselves being a bit too far from where we would have stayed if we had the knowledge prior to staying there.

Also, because these are apartments, I would have liked a more hotel feel. While the service was very good, I felt it was very good as an apartment support staff, not so much as a hotel staff. After seeing several options, I think next time I will look into staying at the Balmoral.

Room Tip: The upper penthouse is comfortable, but the building has no elevator, so if you don´t like walking u...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I booked two nights at the Chester Residence as a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday in October. From the moment we stepped out of the taxi, we were made to feel welcomed and special by the attentive staff (who were fantastic for the duration of our stay). I was impressed by the brilliant reviews and the look of the rooms on the website, but I was still stunned by the sheer size and impeccable decor when we got into our apartment.

The kitchen had everything we needed - from a Nespresso machine down to the cheese grater - and all of the rooms were spotless. The location couldn't have been better - a beautiful, safe part of town just a few minutes' walk from Princes Street.

We've been recommending the Chester Residence to everyone since we returned from our trip, and can't wait to go back - we're actually talking about visiting on our honeymoon!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Gateshead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were only staying in Edinburgh one night having had a few nights in the borders, so were a little apprehensive about being in an apartment that it might be "too much" and over the top just for one day.

Fortunately.. we were wrong! We were staying in the penthouse (8/1) which had great views. the apartment itself was very well appointed with lots of little details that made it. Everything very comfortable indeed, and it was useful to have a kitchen even if we barely used it and went out for dinner. If I had to find any faults, the integrated audio system wasn't working properly in the bathroom (which wasn't a big deal for us at all and we did mention it to reception) and it only worked with Sky, not the DVD player.

The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, it seemed that nothing was too much trouble and once they've shown you to your room they stay out of your way so you can enjoy the place. It really does feel like you're "at home" whilst being in a hotel. Location was spot on, 10mins walk to the city centre.

Will definitely come back again (although would have to save up and stay for longer!)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Chester Residence? Share your experiences!