This was our second business trip staying at The Chester Residence in four months. In my previous review I remarked that the apartments did not seem well set up for those who might want to do work as the lighting seemed designed for seduction rather than work and there was no proper workspace. This time around it was suggested that we take a grand apartment and that the hotel would bring in additional lighting if required.
I am happy to report that a grand apartment proved very satisfactory for business purposes. The lounge was, in every sense of the word, grand.There was a writing desk, lamp and comfortable chair as well as a large dining table set up for six that provided ample space on which to spread papers. The lounge itself was huge with high ceiling and three large full height windows and stylishly decorated. To complete the picture, it even had an open living flame gas fire in the hearth - a feature which I had initially assumed was purely decorative.
During our four night stay we mostly dined on George Street but we asked reception for a recommendation for a Michelin starred restaurant. They recommended Castle Terrace and booked us a table for their tasting menu. We had a most excellent meal there which we thoroughly enjoyed. We endorse the view of a number of Tripadvisor reviewers that Castle Terrace deserves a second Michelin star.
There are many good reasons why this hotel has won its enviable ratings. Numerous respondents have remarked on the level of service staff provide for their guests. I cannot claim that we put their skills to the test in any great way but I would remark on one little indicator of their professionalism. On arrival our taxi dropped us some way down Rothesay Place just as a member of staff happened to be emerging from number 9 to make his way to another apartment - he immediately recognized us from our last visit 4 months earlier, greeted us by name, abandoned his task and took our cases. I wonder how many other hotels could have done that? The taking of cases is commonplace but the recognition and greeting by name is out of the ordinary on such slight acquaintance.
It is a really great place to stay - sans pareil.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chester Residence (voted Scottish Hotel of the year at the Scottish Hotel 2012 awards) is a collection of 5 Georgian townhouses set in the stunning west end of Edinburgh. These chic 5 star (Scottish Tourist Board rated) designer suites blend seamlessly with attention to detail and a level of personalized service that ensures guests enjoy the highest standards, synonymous with The Chester Residence. Each suite is an oasis of tranquility, offering spacious, individually designed suites with all the benefits of a luxury hotel. The latest in room technology is provided including, direct-dial telephone, voice mail, wide-screen multi-channel TV, DVD, CD player and iPod docking stations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tingo, Cheap Tickets, MrandMrsSmith, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Venere so you can book your The Chester Residence reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Chester Residence Hotel Edinburgh
- Chester Residence Edinburgh
- Chester Residence Hotel Edinburgh
- The Chester Residence Edinburgh, Scotland