“Luxury in Edinburgh” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chester Residence

Save Saved
You added The Chester Residence to your Saves list
The Chester Residence
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6 - 9 Rothesay Place, Edinburgh EH3 7SL, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #1 of 146 Hotels in Edinburgh
New York, NY
“Luxury in Edinburgh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

This was the perfect place to land in following a trans-Atlantic flight with a changeover at Heathrow. We were exhausted, but the Chester Residence lived up to all its reviews and more. We had a suite of two huge rooms which included a full kitchen kitted out in the living area and a gigantic bathroom with all the modern conveniences. The rooms were immaculate and tastefully decorated. Although the residence is in a terrace of Georgian houses, our rooms were sleek, modern and restful. The staff was welcoming, accommodating and extremely efficient (I include the cleaning staff in this). We had a kilted, charming lad to point us in whatever direction we needed to go and give great advice. The evening we stayed in for supper, a delicious meal was delivered to our door on time and perfectly presented. Although this is a short ways from the tourist center of the city, it's not a difficult walk and buses are easily available. It was nice to come back to a quiet neighborhood in the evening. The absolutely top of the line and the best place I've ever stayed in the UK!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

First Class accommodation with a real 'wow' factor! From the moment we arrived we were met with very friendly and professional members of staff who treated us like royalty. Our apartment was a 'Grand' and we were truly amazed by the size, decor and cleanliness. It is obvious that no expense has been spared at renovating these classic properties which, amongst other features included sky tv, surround sound,and underfloor heating in bathroom.We had continental breakfasts included, which were of a very high standard delivered to our door every morning. If you are looking for top class accommodation with wonderful service and quiet surroundings, look no further, this really is the place to stay. Cant wait to return!

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Excellent and the best self catering apartment we have stayed in with your own kilted knight in shining armour to help out if you can't work out how to use the digital stove top!

Room Tip: Higher floor has more of a view.
Inverness, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed at The Chester Residence in Rothesay Place the same weekend as The American reviewer below. It was our first experience of 'Serviced Apartments' as a concept. My wife and I stayed in apartment 7/4.

The apartments are wonderful and make great use of the fantastic Georgian architecture. Every appliance and item of furniture has been selected with great attention to detail.

I would concur that the bedroom and bathroom are a tad small, given the grandeur elsewhere, but you do have to work with the template you are given and the compromise is acceptable in my opinion. If you want a bigger bathroom and bedroom you can book a penthouse apartment for the same price as a 'classic' one and that floor plan will give you what you require.

I had a lovely nights sleep in a supremely comfortable bed in blissfully quiet surroundings. I was annoyed (as ever) that my life long allergies meant that I could not use the towels, robes and pillowcases provided but my wife was very happy with the luxury provided.

We ordered from the 'continental' breakfast offered and the selection of fresh baking, meats, cheeses, jams etc presented on a slate tray was impressive both in terms of presentatiion and flavour.

It really is not a critisicm to again have to agree with our fellow reviewer about the 'service'. Whilst being perfectly adequate on the whole, it was (as someone who has worked the majority of my career in Hotels of this standard) ...just that..adequate.

I imagine The Chester Residence has made a bit of a 'rod for its own back' as the saying goes. This in terms of the reviews on this site especially, which tout a supremely well oiled machine with 'personal touches' galore.

Don't get me wrong, I wasnt expecting rose petals scattered at my feet and to be honest, we like to be left to our own devices on the whole. Hence we declined the very generous offer of complimentary drinks and canapes on Saturday evening in the Lounge Bar.

A few 'basics' were overlooked though. Our luggage was not taken to our apartment in the 4 hours betweeen arrival and check in and having to look at a hoover and mop bucket in the corrridor outside our apartment as we went back and forth didnt really add to the glamour factor either. My better half told me to ignore it (as everyone else seemed to be doing), but if it was Georgian it was from the 'plastic period' which I couldnt find on Wikipedia.

Not a big thing I know (no knee jerk reactions from Management required because we loved the experience as a whole)..but as I said, as first impressions go, when you set yourself up as being totally "on the ball", sitting around waiting for your bags to arrive and then having to go looking for them yourself to be told one was 'missing' (it wasnt, it just hadnt been labelled) and your jacket WAS missing (it turned up later).... was not the best of starts.

As The Chester Residence themselves recommend, book directly with them for the best rates.

Conclusion. Great location, Wonderful facility, Service ok on the whole and certainly very friendly.

As a 'home from home' in the Capital..as my Title says.... 'Almost Perfect'.

Room Tip: Classic/Grand Apartments for Big Georgian windows and large lounge. Penthouse for bigger bedrooms/ba...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night last week and can honestly say this place is amazing! We could definately see why it is rated number one on trip advisor. We stayed in one of the grand apartments and the are beautifully decorated, stylish, luxurious and comfortable! The apartments had all the amenities you could want and also has sky hd and docking stations for I pods in living room and bedroom! The staff were very welcoming and we were also given a tour of our apartment showing us how to use the gadgets which was helpful!
We would recommend to anyone looking to visit Edinburgh or even if you live in Edinburgh itself like we do and just looking to escape for a night in luxury! Would be brilliant for longer stays.

• Stayed September 2011
Rochester, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Chester Residence is in a very attractive quiet neighborhood but an easy walk to to sights. The buildings and apartments are lovely and very comfortably furnished. I really wished that the bedrooms were a bit bigger. There was just enough room to walk around the beds and no closet just an armoire that was not an adequate substitute. Considering that this is in a vacation apartment where some people must spend extended stays that is quite a flaw. The living space and kitchen were stunning.
As comfortable as the surroundings were I was not wowed by the service. There was nothing wrong but there was nothing exceptional either.
If I had it to do over again I would not splurge on the Chester for a short touristy stay but if I was going to spend a week or more or needed a place to be able to spend time and be comfortable it is perfect.

Room Tip: These are Georgian Townhouses with no elevators so choose accordingly.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
ChesterResidenceRory, General Manager at The Chester Residence, responded to this review, September 14, 2011
Dear guest !
Thank you for your high scoring review !
I thought I would respond to let other guests know that we have various room types,
all with different bedroom sizes , our bedrooms are all bigger than any standard hotel room and if course all our apartments come with a living room , kitchen etc , so our bedrooms really are for sleeping !

I note you thought nothing was wrong with the service you received but that you thought it nothing special - At The Chester Residence , we like to think we are available for guest needs when requested and disappear when not !

Kind regards
Rory MacAleece
GM
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Having never written a review before i felt compelled as this is such a better alternative to an Hotel. We stayed in the Penthouse of number 7 and it was like a home from home and very nice to work from. Every person working for The Chester Residence was incredibley warming, polite and simply couldn't do enough for you, it was a lovely welcome to Edinburgh, thank you.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Chester Residence? Share your experiences!