I chose a novotel for a work trip, having had OK experiences in other locations. This was a complete disaster - with the exception of reasonably friendly front desk staff.
I had first floor room at the front - suggest avoiding these if you have to stay here. Coach engines outside the reception ran until late night, then road noise took over, then coach engines again in the early morning. And when it rained, the sound of drips from the facade onto the plastic canopy over the reception doors was highly disturbing. The western saloon style doors to the bathroom could not close - the bed was too close and I had to move it. The sheet did not fit the bed. I tried to take a bath - the water inlet (shared with the waste outlet) fell off into the bath and left pieces of sharp metal in the water. The wall light did not work. There were unpleasant stains on the carpet and the wall. Perhaps more minor, but the early morning automated alarm call occured 15 minutes earlier than booked (the system time was wrong). After a poor night's sleep that was all I needed.
I did report some of the problems whilst I was there - and was offered ear plugs from a box under the desk. This is not the first time then...
This room was booked through my company's corporate travel provider, with no discount so it cost the full rack rate - £150+ Very definitely not value for money by any measure. Before posting this review I contacted the hotel manager regarding the problems - I do not generally post terrible reviews. His response was to offer me an apology and an upgrade next time I stay there. I cannot imagine that I would return, so it was not helpful. Our corporate travel provider has been advised.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel Edinburgh Centre is an AA rated 4 star hotel in the centre of Edinburgh. Perfect for a holiday in the Scottish capital, close to Edinburgh Castle and the lively Grassmarket Area, 10 min walk from Princes Street shopping and the Royal Mile. The famous Arthurs Seat is 15 min walk away and Edinburgh International Airport 15 min drive. Relax with friends or family and enjoy Elements Restaurant and Bar, 24 hour room service, indoor pool, sauna, steam room, gym and whirlpool. Limited pay parking. Complimentary WiFi available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, ACCOR, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Novotel Edinburgh Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre Hotel Edinburgh
- Accor Edinburgh Centre
- Edinburgh Novotel
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre Scotland