“Good value hotel for a weekend break” 4 of 5 stars

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   80 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh EH3 9DE, Scotland   |
Ranked #91 of 147 hotels in Edinburgh
London
“Good value hotel for a weekend break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel is located about a 20 minute slightly uphill walk from Haymarket station (Waverley is about 5 minutes further). Since Waverly station is pretty much the centre of Edinburgh, it’s a similar walk back from the hotel to get to the shops.

My room was a good size, particularly the bathroom and shower but there was no bath. Internet is extra although the Premier Inn is next door and my computer comfortably logged into their free Wi-Fi without any searching. I ate in the restaurant which was pleasant albeit the usual fayre (pasta/sandwiches/burgers etc.). There is a tiny swimming pool, sauna and steam room in the basement (all free) which is very relaxing on a Sunday morning

I pre-booked in advance and at £48 per night at the weekend (breakfast and parking extra), was exceptional value. I would happily stay there again at that price although the hotel lacks anything so ‘extra special’ that I would be keen to stay at any price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.

1,253 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Design of the rooms is a bit outdated, but still very acceptable.
If there is one thing that disturbed me : The waiter in the bar could have used a shower, and should certainly clean his nails ! Simply disgusting !

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry that you were disappointed. I am personally looking into this and if you’d like to contact me, feel free to email me on h3271@accor.com.
Marc Pichot,
Mumbai (Bombay), India
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This is an okay hotel, but not exactly what you would expect a Novotel to be like. The room had a tired look, carpets need to be replaced (at least in the room I stayed in), and the breakfast spread could be better. But then, it is possible that I found it wanting after flying in from London, where I stayed at the far better DoubleTree Hilton.

This is a modern hotel, and the lobby area reflects that, with its layout & design etc, and yet surprisingly does not offer free wi-fi to guests in the room. (Wi fi access was available only in the lobby area.)

One positive was the location. Not too far from the city centre, although not exactly "in" the centre (as the name suggests).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at Novotel Edinburgh Centre appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue. Please feel free to email me on h3271@accor.com if you wish to discuss further.
Marc Pichot,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for a night while in Edinburgh on a 'girlie' break. I chose the hotel a) for the location b) for the good deal I got on hotels.com

Check in was quick and efficient with a very pleasant member of staff. Our room was clean and comfortable - ideal for a quick one night stay when all we needed was a place to sleep.

We can't comment on the food or drink as we didn't partake - but...I would like to complement the hotel on its' customer service - in my stupidity I left my phone charger in the room.
I emailed to let them know, and to ask them to keep it til next time I was in Edinburgh - however, the housekeeping team had already posted it back to me. I was very impressed with this and possibly this alone would make me go back!

So 10 out of 10 for taking the initiative and keeping customers happy :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed here for New Year 2012-13. It was me & my partner with my parents, my sister and her friend for 4 nights.

We booked 2 rooms (one of which was supposed to be an executive but was the same as a standard double room only it had a bigger hallway) The price for both rooms giving that one was a normal double room and the other an executive family room (a double bed with a sofa bed next to it) was a little pricey. I just put this down to us staying around new year time.

We had a few hiccups as our room was not ready by 4pm as the previous guests had not checked out until 3:30pm so we had to wait 45 minutes or so. In my parents room that is supposed to accommodate 4 people the staff had only supplied enough condiments for 2 people and upon asking the cleaner if we could have the proper condiments was unpleasant as he did not want to co-operate and couldn't be bothered to help us out.

Reception & Bar staff were great after they heard us talking about the trouble with the room they gave us all a free round of drinks and the receptionist also gave us a free drinks card each.

The breakfast was good, although being in scotland I would have liked to see more of a scottish element to the breakfast (ie - tattie scones, haggis, square sausage ect...)

The pool facilities were a little off putting as the changing rooms were very little and cramped with no were to get undressed or dressed you were left just a room with lockers - no privacy but apart from that the gym look clean, the pool was clean - although a little cold and the sauna and steam room were as you would expect.

The room itself was very clean, fresh towels were left daily, the bed was big and comfortable and for me and my partner it was just the right size for us. Although I do not recommend 4 people sharing one executive room, its just too cramped!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Novotel and it was a good experience until we were checking out. Upon arrival we were told we would nee to pay £50 this was just to be held not taken and would be back on my card when checked out. This was not on my card and didn't go back on my card for over a week. I was reassured by 3 members of staff it would be back on my card on different dates! None clearly communicated with each other and over formal complaint nothing was done. Absolute joke !

• Stayed October 2012
Many thanks for taking the time to comment. We appreciate all feedback. If you’d like to talk about the matter further, please feel free to email me on h3271@accor.com.
Marc Pichot

Been to Novotel Edinburgh Centre? Share your experiences!